urine in a hairspray bottle?

TerryJ2

My difficult child is SO weird! He's always had bedwetting issues, but this is over the top. There was an awful smell in his closet, so I began to clean and toss. Finally found a tiny, travel sized hairpray bottle, minus the top, filled with-urine!
Ewwww! husband surmised that difficult child was too lazy to get out of bed one night and did that ... I thought it was too much work to hit a target and it would have been easier to get up or just wet the bed...
He asked difficult child (with-o prompting or suggesting, left it wide open) and difficult child said he was too tired to get out of bed one night.
Why he didn't throw it away is beyond me.
I just don't know what to make of this and am getting really tired of these weird things (most of which I haven't posted on here ... you know how you rationalize, and then when there's a string of weird things, you can't help but see some weird pattern).
We have an appointment. with-the psychiatric on Tues. Kids do weird things but G'fg always make them weirder...

Marguerite

Keep a list and bring it to each appointment. It's about all I can suggest - this is more than just laziness, this is hoarding.

Marg

Steely

:cry: Yep, pretty off the wall, I would have to say - but my difficult child has these issues too. It really makes you wonder what is up with the wiring in their brain.

Last night I was pondering this very thing, when I was making a mental list of all the "odd" things my difficult child does. I could not help but wondering why, and furthermore, if he was the only one. But perhaps the biggest thing that stuck with me, was how is he ever going to overcome all of these internal oddities he struggles with? I don't know.....too much to contemplate, I know.

Anyway.....hang in there, and talk to psychiatrist.......and know you are not alone.

BusynMember

You can't test negative for Aspergers Syndrome. There is no test. It's a matter of the tester's opinion.
Anyways, my son pees in empty bottles A LOT and it irritates me to no end (he is on the Spectrum). With him I KNOW it's because he's busy in his room and doesn't want to come downstairs to our bathroom, but it drives me nuts. Haven't found a solution yet, but I kind of chalk it up to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) "quirkiness." I don't have any other kids who would have done anything like that. It would have embarrassed them. Spectrum kids do many things that we consider strange, which is why the majority of them need some assisted living help as adults. I would see a neuropsychologist because I think he could help explain your child to you better than a psychiatrist.
A NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) is very close to Aspergers Syndrome. Some professionals feel they are one and the same.

TerryJ2

Thank you all.

Yes, I agree, that Negative Testing is an opinion. I'll find a way to reword that.

I thought that the referral to the speech pathologist WAS our NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) testing.

Where else can I go?

BusynMember

I'd go to a neuropsychologist.
It may amuse you to know that today, after I read this, hub went upstairs and found BOTTLES of urine in my son's room!!!! He is cleaning his smelly room out now--it's not smelly because of the urine--it's smelly because he never cleans it. This is one kid who will not be able to live without help as an adult. Sadly, he will always need supervision.

Steely

No, Non-Verbal Learning Disorder is actually diagnosed with a battery of tests performed by the Psychologist. My son had his back almost 10 years ago, but if I remember correctly - they tested him and realized he was quite superior in language skills, but had a large point discrepancy between that and his performance skills. So, in a nutshell, things like math and reading comprehension are really hard for him - but things like, uh, talking, or taking information in verbally or orally is easier for him. This deficit also applies to a variety of other things like a lack of coordination, or reading social Qs, or seeing the world as more black and white and not being able to see the gray. I am definitely NOT the expert, so hopefully others will chime in as well.

When my son was tested AS had barely even been "discovered", and no one has ever even brought that up to me as a possibility. Now, as my son grows older, his deficit seems more pronounced - and I wonder if I should have him re-tested with a possibly, more proper diagnosis of AS.....however, I am not sure what that would help.

So, to answer your question, has your son had neuro-psychiatric testing? If not, that is the next step in my opinion.

BusynMember

Weeping, believe it or not things have changed a lot in ten years! I was tested this year because I was ordered to be tested (has to do with Disability). I was dxd. with a severe NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) (verbal IQ near 120 and performance 88). I know all bout what it is--I live it. They told me that there are many professionals who now feel that Aspergers and a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) are one and the same--times they are a-changing. Now the neuropsychologist who tested ME is not convinced they are the same. I was told my demeanor is too friendly for Aspergers. Okie dokie, I don't really care, however, I have tons and tons of Aspie traits and have so many problems holding jobs, all related to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) type issues (even though I don't have the diagnosis.) that I don't think they really KNOW yet--they are years away from figuring all of it out. They know I can't make changes and if anything changes in the work place, I can't adjust to it without being shown how to do it all over again--it is very frustrating. I am a bus aide for handicapped kids and if the seat belt that connects to the wheel chairs happen to be laying in a position different from the one I am used to seeing it, I am unable to figure out how to buckle the seat belt--yup, lots of fun...lol. Luckily, the bus driver has a "different" son and is very patient with me! I've had this trouble all my life.
So this is the newest stuff I've heard. Whatever a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) is, it stinks...lol. I have other neurological issues too, such as terrible moodswings without medication, and face blindness, and a nil visual memory. Seldom does one have a neurological problem that doesn't seep into other neurological issues, which is why it's so hard! Thank goodness they can help our kids more than they could help me!

Steely

MW......that is SO interesting! My son's discrepancy is 23 points between verbal and non-verbal - I am not sure what the cut-off is for diagnosis-ing AS. My son has eye contact, knows how to "chat" people up, has intuition, therefore I have been told that he does not have AS, even by a neuro-psychiatric. It is so frustrating to be in the dark, and I feel like in the ten years since his testing SO much has changed! I guess I need to read up more on AS. So as to not hi-jack this thread, would you mind PM me some of your best links for this? Thanks again - and Terry, I hope this helps you as well.

AllStressedOut

It's subjects like this that make me think my PCs are really difficult children and my difficult children really are PCs. This is something my middle easy child would do.

We have found empty baby wipe containers full of pee. Water bottles full of pee. Charmin wet wipes boxes full of pee. All him too. Maybe, just maybe, once in awhile it was youngest difficult child, but usually, middle easy child. He's just weird that way.

The only thing that makes me think PCs are PCs somedays is that they don't get into trouble at school the way difficult children do. Their quirks can be just as bad as difficult child quirks at my house.

Ahhh, kids, what fun! Boys are GROSS!

Marguerite

MWM, you said, "I was told my demeanor is too friendly for Aspergers"

The pediatrician has told easy child 2/difficult child 2 that in his opinion she doesn't have Asperger's because she makes good eye contact. She says, "I make good eye contact NOW because I have learned to. But I still don't like to do it especially with people I don't know."

MWM, you have learned a great deal in your life so far. A lot of what Aspies learn is adaptation. After a certain age trying to assess on current presentation is almost impossible, because the diagnostician has to examine the person as they are now, you can't go back in time and assess. Whatever you can find of a person's history can help, but a lot of older Aspies are very good at masking it. This doesn't mean the disability is now gone, it just means that have learned to hide it well.

husband has a dry sense of humour. He is fast with a quip and very effective. However, he learnt some years ago that he has to SMILE when he makes a joke, because his natural delivery is so deadpan people found it hard to recognise that something he said was intended as humour. They would take his remarks seriously and this led to all sorts of confusion and misunderstanding.
husband's joking smile is still very subtle but it works for him. This is learned behaviour. He actively made a decision to modify his behaviour once it was pointed out to him that people were misunderstanding.

And as for being friendly - difficult child 3 has always been friendly. He's very outgoing. He's often inappropriate with it (hence the diagnosis) but he IS learning to adapt and be less inappropriate. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) people ARE capable of learning - I do wish some diagnosticians would get this through their thick skulls.

Marg

BusynMember

Weeping, that's exactly what *I* was told about myself. There is no cut off for AS. A twenty point discrepency between verbal and non-verbal is considered a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) though. There are now professionals who believe that a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) and AS are the same. Do I care? Not a bit. The label won't change anything for me. I still get Disability because my NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) has been a killer in the job market. I can do verbal stuff really well--talk myself into getting hired for any job. Then you give me a simple taste like assembling a seat belt for a wheel chair, and if the seat belt is laying one way one time and another way another time, I can't figure out how to connect it. I also need notes on where to connect the hooks on the seat belts. I mean, I can do it ten times and still need visual aids. Yet I'm a romance writer and have published four e-books. Any verbal is a snap for me, but anything performance-wise is a big struggle. And repetition doesn't always work. I tried to become a CNA. I got straight A's on the medical, academic aspect of the job, but could NEVER learn how to make a bed. They even gave me extra time to just practice and learn. Never could figure out how to do the bed. I had to quit. NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)? Aspergers? Doesn't really matter, at least to me. I've also had social problems, even though I'm, if anything, overly friendly. Can't read social cues well and don't know when to shut up...lol. I prefer my own company and those of trusted friends who "get" me. My hub gets me--I'm lucky. At the end of the day, they are just learning about this neurological problems. I feel they are also tied to mood disorders, which I definitely also have. Very seldom does one problem exist in a vacuum, and I believe they are in the infant stages of understanding how devestating a neurological problem can be. The worst part of a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) is that you're so verbally astute that people assume you're brilliant and can do the job easily. Then they look at you with such disappointment when it's time to fire you...been there done that.

BusynMember

Meg, I relate to Aspies a lot, but I really don't know that I am one. I'm certainly close! However, the Aspies I know ARE less animated than me and certainly tend to be great with computers and more obsessive than me. I can barely get my computer on and off, and, although I have obsessions...it's a little different. Again, maybe there is such a thing as being "a little Aspie, a lot NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)." I think many of our kids are put into a box they don't fit into. I believe there is a big "I don't know" out there. It should be in the DSM: "I DONT KNOW!!!" Because I think half the time the professionals really don't know. Some kids/adults have problems that haven't been labeled yet, so it's very hard to treat something that they can't identify.

TerryJ2

Thank you all ... but I did have a neuropsychologist evaluation, and he (the neurologist/psychiatrist) expressed his opinion pretty quickly, and referred me to a speech pathologist, and he did really, really basic tests, with-pictures and words and it took 1/2 hr.
Does this sound like the same thing you all went through?

by the way, the speech path did warn me that his test was only designed for glaringly obvious cases. The subtle ones he wasn't equipped to test for. He had no idea where I could go to do any further testing.

smallworld

Terry, a neuropsychologist is not a neurologist or a psychiatrist but a psychologist with specialized training in how the brain functions. A neuropysch evaluation generally takes between 6 to 12 hours (my son's last one took 10 hours) and involves intensive testing to assess cognitive and psychological functioning of the child. It doesn't sound as if your difficult child had a neuropysch evaluation.

Steely

And one more point, the diagnosis of NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) or AS would have nothing to do with a speech pathologist. If your son has speech issues, that is a completely different thing and they are not related in any way. A speech pathologist would not be able to help or diagnosis these types of disorders in any way. The Non-Verbal in NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) means that the person is not in any way compromised with their speech, but rather has problems with the non-speech part of their brain.

The test I would recommend is an entire battery of tests, including the IQ test, and it takes an entire day, or more. In the end you will get his performance IQ, his verbal IQ, as well as a comprehensive report on all of the other tests he performed. This would help immensely for the SD to see, if he is struggling in any area of school. For us, it meant Special Education for his performance related school work like math and read comp.

BusynMember

It does not sound like you had an intensive neuropsychologist evaluation. My son had twelve hours of extensive testing. Running a few tests won't tell you much of anything.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a solution (but only because I have lived with my own little wierdo for 17 years)

Put the cap back on the hairspray and have him come into the bathroom. With that same looking type of bottle (sans the pee) start styling his hair and then spray it in place look at Mr. I.P Freely and say "Do you smell what I smell? I got this bottle from your closet."

ARGH....

I lived with the lesser famous Artist Poop-caso. Be thankful it's pee. :slap:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Terry,
I so remember when difficult child used to do stuff like this. Drove me crazy. Luckily he did eventually stop!