Vacuum cleaner?

klmno

Can anyone recommend a very lightweight vaccum that picks up well? I have a heavy one that does a good job but I can't carry it up and down stairs every time I need to use it. I need something for lighter soiled carpet but that still picks up well because it's mostly pieces of dried leaves being tracked in and stuff like that- fuzz from laundry, etc, you get the idea. I wish they made one that could break down enough to also be used as a handheld battery operated vacuum for the car but I guess that's asking too much. LOL!

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I think Dirt Devil might make something like what you want, but it doesn't pick up that great as an upright.

mom_to_3

Have you considered buying another regular vacuum and just leaving it upstairs? I would probably want to do that myself. They do make stick vacuum's that might fit your bill.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I just checked my vac and it's a Bissell EasyVac bagless upright. It picks up pretty good (I have a cat and you know cat hair KILLS vacs like nothing, only thing it's needed is a new belt in the time I've had it).

I have the Bissel bagless also. iT IS THE bISSEL pOWERFORCE hELIX. It is grEat with picking up dog hairs, etc. It was under fifty dollars at Wal-MART

DDD

Mine is a bissell "stick thingy"...LOL. I'm not sure what to heck the real name is but I know it's very light weight, very narrow bodied, bagless and was under fifty...I think under forty. Likely it came from Lowe's or Home Depot. I prefer others do the cleaning, lol, but if I have to do it (usually) it needs to be easy peasy. This one is. DDD

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't know how much you want to spend but I bought this one that last time I needed a vacuum and love it!! It is as light as an Oreck and picks up really well. It also comes with a separate portable canister with a shoulder strap that I have found really helpful when cleaning out cars or cleaning up dog hair in the bathroom after I groom the dogs. I like not having the bulky attachments on the actual vacuum.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PB8EEM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

~Kathy

Lothlorien

I would buy an Oreck, but they are expensive. The last time my vacuum broke, I looked up what the highest rated vacuum was and it was a cheap $79 Hoover. This is the one http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Widepa...&qid=1359343885&sr=8-4&keywords=hoover+vacuum

The info says it's 17 pounds. Missy can take it up and down the stairs with no problem. I like this vacuum so much that I bought a second one, when I had to take my first one to a house we were rehabilitating...it had cat hair everywhere and I didn't want to bring it back to my house, because of Missy's allergies.

Mattsmom277

Check out The Shark. There is a handheld, but also one that has a handle/arm that is removable so it can work pushing it or as handheld. Very powerful little things and the price is good.

DammitJanet

I need to get me a good easy to use vacuum but cannot afford the Dyson. I like the other prices. I want one that has the extension hose because I want to put that long tube thing on it to suck out the lint from the dryer. I have noticed my dryer isnt drying as good as it used to and I think I need to do that.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
One thing to do with dryers is get an old toothbrush and really clean (with soap and water) the lint trap every 6 months. Can really extend the life of your dryer because you get a build-up from softener on those lint traps that you can't even really see that well.

klmno

I have a hoover now and I love it but it's the heavy one. Does anyone here have the Shark or at least used one and know if it picks up well> I had a hand-held one years ago and it didn't pick up squat so I definitely don't want to buy one and end up with it not be good for anything.

Lothlorien

Janet, that Hoover has the detachable hose, with a few attachments. One of the attachements is a long thin one that you can use for the dryer.

buddy

I think that shark looks great. I had my mom's Orek and it was good BUT then I got a Dyson ......nothing as good. After vacuuming with the orek I did the Dyson like on tv and at my old house it filled just on the first floor. At the new house they supposedly had cleaned the carpets. Q was sneezing and you could see cat hair against the sides of the stairs. The Dyson filled twice and q stopped being stuffy in two days.

It's heavy though so I'd like the new little one but I'm no longer in a position to buy anything so good.

So the new and far less expensive shark was my next choice. If you get it I hope you share what u think.

It's the one job I like once its where I want it, like you I hate carrying it around.

busywend

I have the Hoover Windtunnel Corded stick vac. I like that it goes from my hardwoods to my carpeting with one slide of a button. The cord is long enough for me (20 feet, I think) and the only thing that is on the negative side is I have to empty it after each room. But, that just makes me feel like it is doing a good job! We have 3 cats and the hardwood vs carpet was stressing me out. This vac was about $70 which is high for a stick vac, but it was worth it. And I think it weighs less than 9 pounds. The weight thing was important to me. I actually use this on the carpeted stairs, too. http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Corded...23639&sr=1-2&keywords=hoover+windtunnel+stick I do have a Shark dust buster that picks up great! I use that on the beds to get cat hair off.