Valentine's Day -yay/nay? double dog dare inside

Sunlight

:smile: <span style="color: #CC0000"> <span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>I bought boyfriend a mag subscription to his favorite mag-Log Homes and also one to Log Home Design, I also got him some California Gold Coffee from Latitudes Coffee Co. </span> </span> <span style="color: #CC33CC"> <span style='font-family: Fixedsys'>he says what he got me will not fit in the silverware drawer but is smaller than a breadbox. </span> </span>

For my sons and Kaleb, I am making a complete turkey dinner with all the trimmings for dinner. that is my gift to them.

So, what do you think of Valentine's Day? The today show said men do not like it. Women spend an average of 87.00, men spend an average of 156.00.

I think it is the thought that counts. The Today show also said if you are not expecting a Valentine, to do what you did in school...send them to anyone just to be friends. :bravo: that feels good too!

F

flutterbee

How do I see Valentines Day? As a very effective marketing ploy. I'm just not big on it at all. I get candy and cards for the kids, but that's it. How we treat our loved ones on Valentine's Day is really how we should treat them all year (less the expensive gifts, of course :wink: ).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've never gotten into the spirit of Valentine's day. Since I was little I thought it was silly. My husband gets off easy. lol If he gets me something, I get mad at him. Although I won't snub a dinner out. lol

So I guess you can call me the Valentine's Day scrouge.

Sunlight

I loved Valentines' day even as a child. I went to a small Catholic School. for us it meant one afternoon with no classes..lol everyone was required to send everyone a valentine. my mom would always buy heart shaped cookies or ice cream with a heart inside.

it is a nice holiday to have in the dead of winter. a bleak time dotted with some red hearts..lol

that is probably why I like it.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
husband asked me if I wanted anything for Valentine's Day. My reply was no.

The fact that he's working on his issues, that he's stuck through the hard times & keeps moving forward is gift enough for me.

In my mind, I don't need a special day to celebrate our love & commitment. It's the day by day stuff that counts for me.

For those of you who celebrate the day - enjoy. It's fun!
:smile:

Sunlight

For those who do not celebrate I ask you to try this:

make someone in your home a homemade valentine. you know, cut out a snowflake shaped heart in white paper and glue it to something red...lol write BEE MINE on it, and draw a little honey bee. hold it behind your back and kiss them then hand them the card.

priceless!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Janet,

I'm just not that romantic - it's just never been a priority. While I have my moments I don't want it dictated by a designated day.

husband is the same.

mstang67chic

Going Green
husband and I usually do something for Valentines, even if it's just getting each other cards. Yesterday he came home from work with a chocolate rose.......thought he might have thought ahead incase we couldn't go anywere today. Nah....his boss gave it to him and said he could give it to his wife if he wanted but that it was for him. :rofl:

I haven't even gotten him a card yet and won't until this clears up some. I have no desire to go out quite yet.

LittleDudesMom

:smile:
I don't have a Valentine, but I love Valentine's Day, so do my kids. difficult child made me a beautiful card at school last Thursday. Of course, he couldn't wait to give it to me so I got it Thursday. Then, a little before 8 this morning, I was presented with 2 homemade cards from the kids. difficult child's said "thanks for loving me mom - xoxoxoxo (and many of those filling 1/2 the page)". easy child's said "you will be in my heart forever, thanks for everything you do, I love you."

Can't help but smile on Vday with words like that :smile:

Sharon

dreamer

I LOVE Valentines Day. I never "get" anything material, but, I DO lots of things. I make red heart shaped cookies, I dye the milk sometimes. I tuck lil Valentines into coat pockets, car dashboards, backpacks, bath towels. Me and the kids get packs of store bought Valentines and give them to all kinds of people, the neighbor, mailman, doctor, cousins, etc. We have special tshirts we wear. I am a sucker for these kinds of days, - for ST Pattys I do very similar, just all green instead of red....and I do it for 4th of July and Halloween and everything. Special shaped and decorated cookies, special tshirts, lil cards, decorate the house some......Give me half a reason to celebrate and I will. Give me a reason to shower people with cheery stuff, I will. I think it breaks up the monotony of every day...reminds us it is the first day of the rest of our life and Life is a gift to be treasured, as are the special people around us.
We do not get outrageous with expensive things, (couldn't even if I wanted to) but we do celebrate and enjoy. Gosh we only live once, might as well make it fun and show and tell others how we feel.

Nancy

Oh you mean <span style="color: #FF0000"> Singles Awareness Day</span> as my easy child calls it.

It's a fun day, nice to remember those we love. My husband got me two boxes of chocolate coevered strawberries and he had to drive in the blowing snow to get them....awwww! I got him a mushy card about being my soulmate.

The florists here are scrambling trying to figure out how to get their deliveries done with all the businesses closed and roads a mess.

Nancy

rejectedmom

I think it is nice to have a special day just to honor all those we love. I do not believe in expensive gifts and all the hype. I do believe that it is important to take special care of and pay attention to our important relationships out of the ordinary context. Too often we get caught up in the everyday stuff. Valentines Day is a reminder to take the time to appreciate our loved ones. -RM

Sunlight

nancy, lol about the singles awareness day! truthfully it doesnt have to be about couples. I love to make my sons know they are loved, my sister, even my mother!

everywoman

Where's that scrooge emoticon when I need him! Bah Humbug! I hate Valentines Day. husband always buys me something nice, I always try to have a nice meal, but it just seems ridiculous to have a day for cards and candy in the middle of February.

Sunlight

I doubledog dare you naysayers

:laugh: :smile: to be cupid to someone today. even if it is your pet. :grin:

gowahn....be different, act out of character...keep 'em guessing at your true nature..lol catch them unawares...see how it touches your own heart!

'Chelle

We don't really do too much for Valentine's day. easy child and I made cards the other night for each other LOL. I did a heart shaped one and drew a smiling face on it and wrote "You make my heart happy", and she loved it. difficult child is a bit of a humbug for anything remotely mushy, but then he's a 13 year old boy. I did get out of him yesterday that he doesn't like Jessica Simpson, I said you don't like blonds? he said nope, oh you like dark haired girls, and he said MAYBE! LOL I usually get the kids some candy and a little stuffed valentine animal or something. husband is as romantic as a stone, but he tries sometimes. He handed me his bank card today, and said sorry I couldn't get out to get anything (we only have one car and it's -24 F this morning lol) so told me to get myself a heart shaped cake or some chocolates (I do love chocolates) when I go out for lunch today. Heck, at least he remembered this year. :rofl:

Janna

I can take Valentines Day or not, doesn't much matter. I HATE the idea of spending massive money on any holiday, so SO is prohibited.

If he showed up with a small token it would be nice. I do know he ordered me something to be delivered to my office. Too bad I haven't been in there since Friday LOL!

If he got me nothing it would be fine, too. I came home one night the week before last, and for no reason he was standing there with a dozen red roses, table set for dinner, and the dishes done. THAT is what I like. I don't need all the fluff (but some of the fluff is nice!).

Janna

fedup

I gave a received a card from hubby. He told me last weekend to buy something special for dinner, because we (I) don't like to go out on the big eat out days. I got veal so he could make veal scallopine. Of course, we have a bit of drama going on, so I don't know if I'll get my meal or not.

Recently, I have tried to be more aware of the little things hubby does to help out, and to leave him a note to let him know I noticed. I have done it twice this week. I think that we need to be aware on an ongoing basis.

I am also trying to say something special to at least one person at work each day, and to be more aware of speaking to others. It makes things more relaxed, I think.

mum2JK&TH

Normally we don't do much, it's too hard with the kids and their sports. I decided this year, it's time to change that! So I rescheduled easy child's riding lesson and g'ma was going to take difficult child to his hockey (due to the weather now he's not going), and bought husband and I hockey tickets sans kids! Yep, just he and I are going :smile:
To better the day, my mum managed to find a Wii and we were going to give it to difficult child for his birthday. Was a bit hectic as they were only going to put it on hold for an hour and I didn't know if I could get there in time. Told husband and he drove all the way from work (30 mins from here and the roads aren't great at all) and picked it up. He then said that it was for me (I have sorted wanted one myself).
So, I'm all for Valentines this year, haha! The kiddies are getting take-out of their choice and they can watch the game here from home and have their treats.

Happy Valentines Day!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I love Valentine's Day and it is BIG in our house - and it's not about the money spent. I make H his favorite dish, which is Chicken Enchiladas, a card and a bag of hersheys almond kisses. For difficult child I bought one of those personal cakes at Big Y and a card. And I bought some strawberries and melted down some chocolate to dip them in for dessert later.

We're playing scrabble now.