Vaporizers and eliquids

jugey

Hi all,

I have just found a Kangertech vaporizer in my daughter's room. It contains a liquid but it has no odor. I'm trying to figure out if this is a device for getting high or if it's just for taking in flavored vapor. As I type this, I think this is a dumb question! It's for getting high, right? Any info would be appreciated!

Nancy

As far as I know they are an e-cigarette. Maybe others will know better. Do you have other reasons to suspect that she is using anything? Does she smoke? Perhaps she thinks this is a way to smoke without really smoking.

worried sick mother

That is an e-cigarette but I read online that they put stuff in them to get high. Does she have a history of drug use? I've been told that a lot of kids are smoking e-cigarettes with the flavored vapor so that might be what it is. If it's the flavored vapor, she should have a bottle of it that she refills it with. I would search for that.

Lil

E-cigarettes seem to be the "thing" right now. You can buy liquid with, or without, nicotine. I see many people "vaping" outside my office. Lots of people do it now to cut down and quit smoking - or because they don't have the smell of cigarettes. Some kids and adults vape non-nicotine.

That doesn't mean they can't use them to get high. You can absolutely vape cannabis extracts.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...and-mirrors-vaporizer-pens-hide-marijuana-use

Or worse, synthetics.
http://spiceaddictionsupport.org/liquid-synthetic-marijuana-vaping/

Last edited:

jugey

No - not really any reason to suspect she's using anything. She doesn't smoke, as far as I know. However, she's not trustworthy and is a frequent liar. I googled the device and see that it costs $82. She doesn't have a job,so I'm not sure how she's come to have this device. Thank you for your responses!

Kathy813

Staff member
I have no idea but I did want to pop in and welcome you to the SA forum. I hope it turns out that she is just experimenting with e-cigarettes but I would certainly do some more investigation.

~Kathy

jugey

Thanks for the pop in Kathy. I think I'm heading back to General. My research suggests no drugs. I asked her about it and of course, she's holding it for a friend. Hahaha.....if her lips are moving she's probably lying!! I'm anticipating some rough years ahead.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I use a Kangertech (which is different from an E Cigarette) for vaping as I gave up smoking a while ago but still have the hand to mouth thing going on. They sell the liquids which have zero nicotine to I think 18 Mgs. The liquids run around 10 to 12.00 a bottle, in any flavor you can imagine.

You can buy the pot atomizers but they look distinctly different from the vaping atomizers,they cannot be refilled and are expensive. I have never come across the bottles with liquid pot in them (I have a medical MJ card) where you can refill your regular vaping atomizers. Am not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen any yet.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's called a personal vaporizer and is used for inhaling the vapor from a heated, usually flavored solution of varying strengths of nicotine, usually by ex smokers.

I use a personal vaporizor as while I no longer smoke, I have not broken the nicotine. Vaping gives me a way to get the nicotine without the ill effects of inhaling tobacco smoke.

That said, I found out tonight that there are designer drugs that can be dissolved in "e-liquid" and vaporized in a "tank" and the vapors inhaled. Since I only vape nicotine liquids, I don't know much about that.

There are also special metal tanks used to vaporize cannabis in leaf, oil, or wax form. This gets confusing, as tanks for vaporizing e-liquids also come in metal.

You can tell them from the ones used for drugs by looking for a small glass or plastic slot in the side of the tank that allows one to see the level of liquid in the tank. If you see that level indicator, it's an e-liquid tank.

e-liquid also comes in zero nicotine and is vaped for the flavors alone.

For example, I vape 12% nicotine in a home blended mixture of peppermint and cinnamon. I went from a 2 pack a day cig habit to vaping. The improvement in my health has been amazing. My medical team is totally on board with my vaping and has documented the improvement in my health.

If your daughter is underage, she has no business vaping depending on state and local laws. Some localities do not allow the sale of vaping equipment or supplies to anyone under age to buy tobacco. Some localities do not yet regulate e-cigs and personal vaporizers. Even if she is using nicotine, which has some beneficial effects on concentration and a calming effect on those with bipolar and ADHD, and considerably less ill effects than the toxins associated with tobacco use, you need to discuss it with her.

If she is not a smoker tryingt o get off the "analogs", I hope she is only vaping zero nic for the flavors. The stuff is still addictive, though not as addictive as whole leaf tobacco.

Vaping is also a LOT cheaper than cigs once one buys the initial equipment.

I would drug test her with a comprehensive drug test. Though I don't know about the designer and "research" drugs currently flooding the market in re whether or not they'd show up on tests.

I'm really clueless as to what could be vaped in liquid form.

Sorry I can't help you more.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm sorry. I just read your signature. At 14, she shouldn't be vaping anything, even unflavored juices.

No "vape shop" would sell to her without carding, so either she purchased the hardware online, where you click a button to say you are over 18, or someone purchased it for her, or someone got it for her.

Despite being an advocate of vaping nicotine or using snus, over smoking tobacco, we just don't know the effects of nicotine on the developing body and brain, and it is a psychoactive drug, though a mild one.

I know that when I came off of tobacco, my medications for bipolar, etc., had to be adjusted as one absorbs considerably less nicotine through vaping than one does via smoking.

The other concern over her using nicotine at her age, is that for some reason, teens are more likely to quickly become addicted to all substances than adults whose frontal lobes are done maturing.

Not only that, those who have become addicted in their teens have a harder time getting off of those substances than those who became addicted in their mid-twenties or later.

The "holding it for a friend" is classic teen addict/druggie BS.

Nicotine does interact with ADHD medications though off the top of my head, I can't remember how exactly.

If you want more info on vaping as regards vaping for nicotine or flavor usage, hardware, liquids, etc, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to either answer your questions to the best of my ability or find answers for you.

jugey

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the input.

I remember telling my parents I was holding this or that for a friend. I don't believe her!

haunter

Alright, seeing as to I'm probably the ONLY expert on here, let me lace y'all up.

If it has no odor then it's most like just a cigarette type of thing. The only reason I know of this is because I use one myself. However, if it is in fact a marijuana one, you'd smell that thing like smelling a skunk - EVIDENT! Now, if it is in fact what I just stated, it's practically C02 extracted T.H.C. and it comes in a cartridge, in either a clear tube or red/orange looking tube with the oil being that said color - red/orange. If it is either of those colors and not like yellow or whatever, then she's smoking some trees, my friend. If it's yellow or some odd looking color, then it's a cigarette pen thingy.

Just saying, don't take my response offensively.

haunter

It's called a personal vaporizer and is used for inhaling the vapor from a heated, usually flavored solution of varying strengths of nicotine, usually by ex smokers.

I use a personal vaporizor as while I no longer smoke, I have not broken the nicotine. Vaping gives me a way to get the nicotine without the ill effects of inhaling tobacco smoke.

That said, I found out tonight that there are designer drugs that can be dissolved in "e-liquid" and vaporized in a "tank" and the vapors inhaled. Since I only vape nicotine liquids, I don't know much about that.

There are also special metal tanks used to vaporize cannabis in leaf, oil, or wax form. This gets confusing, as tanks for vaporizing e-liquids also come in metal.

You can tell them from the ones used for drugs by looking for a small glass or plastic slot in the side of the tank that allows one to see the level of liquid in the tank. If you see that level indicator, it's an e-liquid tank.

e-liquid also comes in zero nicotine and is vaped for the flavors alone.

For example, I vape 12% nicotine in a home blended mixture of peppermint and cinnamon. I went from a 2 pack a day cig habit to vaping. The improvement in my health has been amazing. My medical team is totally on board with my vaping and has documented the improvement in my health.

If your daughter is underage, she has no business vaping depending on state and local laws. Some localities do not allow the sale of vaping equipment or supplies to anyone under age to buy tobacco. Some localities do not yet regulate e-cigs and personal vaporizers. Even if she is using nicotine, which has some beneficial effects on concentration and a calming effect on those with bipolar and ADHD, and considerably less ill effects than the toxins associated with tobacco use, you need to discuss it with her.

If she is not a smoker tryingt o get off the "analogs", I hope she is only vaping zero nic for the flavors. The stuff is still addictive, though not as addictive as whole leaf tobacco.

Vaping is also a LOT cheaper than cigs once one buys the initial equipment.

I would drug test her with a comprehensive drug test. Though I don't know about the designer and "research" drugs currently flooding the market in re whether or not they'd show up on tests.

I'm really clueless as to what could be vaped in liquid form.

Sorry I can't help you more.
Your response was probably the best one I've yet to read. Well expounded my friend.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Haunter, quite a few flavored, nicotine based e-liquids are reddish, reddish, brown, or brown in color.

It all depends on the flavorings used, and worse yet, some cheap e-liquids, like those sold in gas stations and the like, have caramel and other colorings added to them.

Color of a liquid is not a reasonable way to determine if a liquid contains drugs or not.

Please refrain from using slang on this board. Many of the posters are my age (50s) and while,(like me) cognizant of the slang of the 70s and 80s, may not be current on the slang of today.

The only way to determine what is in a "nicotine based liquid" is to have it tested. Oils and waxes are another story entirely.