Vegans, Cooks?

flutterby

Fly away!
I know there are a long list of items you can use to substitute for eggs in a recipe. I don't want to buy an egg substitute or egg replacement product.

What is the best thing to substitute for eggs in a cake mix and/or brownie mix? I was leaning toward applesauce, but wasn't sure about the consistency.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I use applesauce in place of oil. The whole point of the eggs is to make it stick together... So I suppose applesauce would work for that, too!

H

HaoZi

I also use applesauce instead of oil, but never had luck using it instead of eggs.

flutterby

Fly away!
Thanks! We get free-range eggs from a friend with chickens - so I know they are totally cruelty free - but for those times that I am out....

trinityroyal

I did a quick search and came up with a list of several egg replacements, depending on what you're making. Many seem to be common ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, bananas, etc.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have used soy powder as a sub for eggs in quite a few recipes with-o any problems. Also subbed applesauce or pureed prunes or dates for oil in recipes. I don't know much about vegan cooking, but I would use a bit of extra oil, a tablespoon or so, and the soy powder for the egg in most baked good and quick breads. Not sure about yeast breads because I don't make those often.

flutterby

Fly away!
Thanks. I looked it up last night and got a list of things you can substitute for eggs, but trying to figure out what to substitute for eggs in a given recipe wasn't so clear, as it depends on if the eggs are used for liquid, binding, or leavening. And I'm not a cook.