Velociraptor Cat at the retirement home

TerryJ2

My 81-yr-old cousin's cat hates me.

We were fine for 10 days here at the house, but whenever the cat is with-me and Pandora together, she turns into a velociraptor. (The cat, not Pandora.)

I brought Lupia over to visit Pandora this afternoon. They allow pets at the convalescent and rehab center for visits, but not overnight.

When I tried to bring Lupia home, she attacked me. Hissed, growled, spat, clawed, bit. I've never been bitten by a cat before. She sank her teeth right into my hand--twice--once through bare skin, and after that, right through Pandora's coat, which I was using to throw over her. When a cat refuses to be picked up, you're supposed to throw a blanket or something over them and grab them by the scruff of the neck.

Yeah, right.
I now have vampire bites on my hand--do I need a rabies or tetanus shot or something? I hope not, because I'm tired and I'm going to bed.
(Luckily, an aide had her claws trimmed while she was still in NY, so the scratches are no big deal. For those of you who don't know, I flew to NYC about 10 days ago, and picked up my cousin to bring her down here to live. She thinks she's just here for a bit of rehab but this is it. She's got memory loss and cannot walk.)

I worked for nearly 3 hrs trying to get that cat out of Pandora's room. What a night! On top of it, Pandora kept telling me what to do to lure the cat--I even went to 7-Eleven and bought cat food, fed her milk that the nurses brought--and she ate like she was starving, for all of 2 seconds, then retreated under the TV into an opening in the TV stand. Of course, pulling out a cornered animal never works.

I got a broom at one point and tried to slide her off the shelf, and Pandora said, "Don't, you're scaring her." I wasn't sure whether to smack Pandora or the cat with-the broom. If that had been my animal, it would be dead meat right now.

The nurses said I could leave the cat for the night ... but the nurses are all afraid of her, so Pandora is not going to get her bedpan changed or get any pain pills. I told the nurse to open the door a crack and throw the pain pills across the room and she said, "Fine by me."

I had to pet my cats and dog when I got home, just so I could re-orient myself as to how a normal, well-trained animal should behave. I didn't realize I was shaking until I petted them.

I'm bringing a calming spray and kitty sleeping pills with-me in the a.m.
How do you give a cat a sleeping pill?
Where do you find those dart guns they use on wildlife TV shows?
How am I going to find a permanent home for this cat? husband is very allergic.

:faint:

SRL

I'm sorry to hear about this. Cat bites can be nasty so I hope you cleaned it with soap and the hottest water you can stand, followed with some kind of antibacterial.

I have a normally feisty cat, but he turns seriously feral the moment he sees the door of the vet's office. He's bit the vet before and while there he's lunged for me too. Honestly, my cat's just scared and no amount of training would ever change the fact that's he's acting instinctively to fear. It sounds like Lupia's been through a lot of adjustments lately and is scared too. Not to mention that after finally being reunited with her owner, she's probably determined that she's not going to be parted from her willingly again.

As for getting the cat adopted, I'd try Petfinder.com, or a no kill shelter if you don't have any other leads. I'm living proof that not everyone wants the sweet in your face sweet lap cat. I like my independent, high spirited difficult child cat just fine, and if I something happened to him I'd probably choose one with a similar temperament.

Do you have some Feliway spray? You have to get the cat's mouth open and toss pills down the hatch. You might have better luck mixing it with food or chicken baby food.

Last edited:

flutterby

Fly away!
Crush the pill into a very fine powder and mix it in tuna. Cats can't resist tuna.

As for the bite, go to the doctor and get antibiotics. Cat bites can be way worse than dog bites.

ETA: Use a small amount of tuna...just enough to mix the pill in, plus a little extra.

Last edited:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Terry - so sorry you got taken out by a cat. Wash that bite, apply antibactirial whatever; I was told that cats mouths are some of the dirtiest in the world.

I got "cat scratch fever" (caused by a bite) but that's what they called it. I was so sick & my arm swelled to 3x it's normal size. The doctors did an emergency IV of antibiotics & I had to go back the next day to have my arm cut into to relieve the pressure. It's a nasty little disease.

If you cannot get that cat out call in animal control - cousin will have to deal.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Cats just don't adjust well to change.

Mine have moved so many times (Possum and Weasel anyway) that while they don't like it, they just deal.

However - my take on the situation. AFTER you have taken care of that bite. (FWIW, my cats have bitten me many times. They rarely break the skin, but when they do... Scrub out with antibacterial soap, put on antibiotic ointment and bandage. Repeat a few hours later then after that lose the bandage.)

Velociraptor kitty needs something familiar. Cousin is it - which is why you cannot get kitty out. "MY MAMA!" is what you're hearing/seeing/feeling.

Half a can of tuna (don't drain it), mix the sedative in it. Slide it under the TV stand or bed, wherever the cat is hiding. Then ignore the cat. This will take a while. Do your thing. After a couple of hours, check the tuna. If the cat has eaten it, check the cat! Wear gloves and reach in to the hidey hole. You should be good.

...And if this doesn't work? Call Animal Control. Giving a tranq to a CALM cat is almost impossible.

TerryJ2

I'm seriously considering that. Right now, I've got to borrow a friend's cat carrier--Lupia's was left outside because she urinated in it, and now it's pouring rain. I've got a calming spray but it's only mildly effective.
On top of it, difficult child stayed up late watching the Vikings game and refuses to go to school. He's as mean as the cat right now.
My hands are stiff and swollen, but sort of normal swollen, if you Know what I mean?.
I think I have PMS. I just want to go back to bed.

SRL

If you're hand is swelling at all you should get in to see your doctor. I was bitten by a feral kitten (my fault, I reached for it was mad) and because it was wild and I'm allergic to the tetanus vaccine I decided I'd best go to ER. It only made one tiny puncture which wasn't even visible when I sheepishly held it up to the nurse and doctor. I figured they'd scoff but everyone I encountered took it very seriously.

Just an FYI: neither my cat nor my mom's cat like tuna but they will gorge themselves on chicken baby food.

Calling animal control is a good idea, but since the cat bit you be prepared for the possibility that they would hold the cat if you can't provide proof of rabies vaccine. Animal control and health care providers are typically required to pass info on all animal bites on to the health departments.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OUCH!

That would be the last time kitty visits cousin! But I'd say she's not wanting to willingly leave her owner.

Get some antibiotics for that bite. Cat scratch fever is serious stuff as Linda mentioned.

If the new effort (medications) doesn't work, call in animal control. I wonder if this kitty will be re-adoptable. hmm

Reminds me of one of the residents at the assisted living where mother in law was. They allow cats. This one resident had one as you describe. They had a sign on her door. BEWARE Vicious Guard Cat. Resident was to keep her door closed so cat couldn't bother other residents. But she'd forget and cat would show up in mother in law's room everytime. Cat seemed to like mother in law. lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
No joke about the cat bites. ANY cat bite that breaks the skin requires antibiotic treatment by a doctor.

Cat bites might not look as physically bad as a bad dog bite, but cats carry a stew of vicious bacteria in their mouths and the punctures actually can go deeper than with a dog bite.

You can get leather welders' gauntlets at home stores and those are what I recommend and used for handling recalcitrant cats. Cats don't usually bite unless really frightened, but that doesn't make the results any better.

witzend

"Cat scratch fever" isn't just a song by Ted Nugent. It's a nasty thing to have happen. If it is anything other than a benign scratch that heals well beginning today, you should see a doctor if you want to keep all of your hand. Try some construction gloves and long sleeves when handling the cat. The crate probably reminds her of going to the vet.

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't know about all states - I thought it was federal law, but not sure - if an animal bites you, animal control will hold the animal in quarantine for 10 days, proof of rabies vaccine or not. They observe for 10 days for signs of rabies and you'll have to pay for it.

The alternative to the quarantine is to euthanize the animal and they will send the head to a state lab. too much information probably, but I want you to be informed. The lab doesn't want the whole animal; they just need to check the brain. It's the only way to confirm rabies.

My brother's ex is a vet tech and she got cat scratch fever - it really is nothing to mess with. Get antibiotics.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Kitty drugs. A good dose of cat nip in various forms tends to calm them down. (I actually have bubble kitty nip.) I would have the bites checked out, though.

Abbey

SRL

Kitty drugs. A good dose of cat nip in various forms tends to calm them down. (I actually have bubble kitty nip.) I would have the bites checked out, though.

Abbey

Capnip makes mine more aggressive! I know, there's one in every crowd...

TerryJ2

Yeah, T-Rex.
I would have made that cat into kitty stew if my cousin hadn't been in the room. I've got stamina and a temper. GrrrRowggRRR!

So, I grabbed gloves, chicken, a crate, and also went to the vet to beg for drugs and a net.

No drugs, but I got an awesome net. It is rectangular, two pieces, and attaches in the center with screws, and opens like a tongs or scissors. Like an X. One end has a net. When you encounter the trapped animal, you simply open the end, make sure you shove it against the wall or floor, and shut it. You wrap a velcro strap around the handle to make sure it doesn't open.
Voila!
Cousin was crying in pain (the stress made her pain worse) and wanted me to come back but I told her I'd call.
I need some time off.
Lupia urinated on my car floor, of course, so I pulled out the rug and sprayed it and hosed it down and it's outside drying. Lupia is back in the bathroom.
I am thinking and thinking and trying to figure out what to do with-the cat.
The friend who was going to take her has lymphedema and said if the cat scratches her even once, she gets put down.
I have another offer from one of the nurses who has a friend with-a farm. I will have to lie to my cousin because nothing is good enough for her kitty--a warm bed is the only place. Never mind that kitty's personality is shot and she needs 25 yrs of kitty therapy and kitty Prozac.

I went to the dr and he prescribed antibiotics. No easy feat, considering I"m allergic to cephalosporins (aka penicillin) and sulfa drugs. I am getting doxycyclene. I hope I'm not allergic. But at least it's pill form so if it's bad, I just stop taking it.

One hand looks good. The other is very swollen and red. Interesting--the dr touched my hand to see if the swollen part was hot. So simple--no need for expensive tests, ya know? I love simple tests. :)

I bought chocolate covered cookies and a bottle of wine for myself. The cookies are 3/4 gone. Can't believe I did that! I hope I'm not as piggish when I hit the wine tonight. ;)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Crossing fingers about the antibiotics, too. If your hand is red and swollen - NOT GOOD.

You know if the cat is that awful, you may not be able to find a home for it. I love cats, but... I couldn't go for that. Mine are all sweet. Well... Unless you chase them around the house!

Also...
Many cats are not interested in catnip at all... My Mom's cat is allergic. Go figure!