Very Nervous about Parent Teacher Conferences

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
So Sprite is getting all A's, no worries there. But Knight has 2 D's...one in Science and one in Band. He says both cases are due to teachers not giving him makeup worksheets/tests from when he was suspended or without his ipad. "So it's their fault!" I tried to explain to him that makeup work was his responsibility to touch base with the teacher; he says he did not know that. I plan to bring him to conferences to get a structured plan in place for classwork completion without the ipad (since I haven't heard boo from the school regarding when his will be repaired or replace, nor what I owe). I should have been more on top of things, but Knight hasn't ever gotten a grade below a B, so I didn't think I needed to be.

On the bright side, I guess this is ammo for the IEP? To prove he needs one?

DDD

Tonight I am really tired AND I have had a Cutty.......BUT it is perfectly reasonable to share at the IEP meetings that you need help in order to help your son and THEIR student. If a system is needed to make sure that he does not begin to slide.........go for it! In theory parents/staff are united to help each student reach their maximum potential.
Don't be intimidated. Throw in accolates like "I am so grateful that you care for my child's future as much as I do and it does seem he is having problems currently. How can we work together to get him over the hump?" Good luck and hugs coming your way. DDD

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
The worst one we had was actually with his math teacher, and he got an A in math. She was almost in tears, said she was exhausted every day after class, where she is doing more teaching about appropriate behavior than she is math! She hasn't been emailing me because she "didn't want to bother me." Said difficult child is scary smart but highly disrespectful and oppositional, even now when he is kept busy working ahead in the curriculum. difficult child explained how he preferred to sit to do his work (with legs on desk, or even lying down) and she said she would not allow it. She feels he has singled her out to torment. I felt bad for the teacher and assured her if we can get an FBA maybe we can figure out what triggers him in her class specifically.
As I suspected, the D's were due to failing to make up work from the suspensions. They have so much more responsibility now in 7th grade and difficult child just isn't handling it. I will have to helicopter for awhile.

DDD

Sending supportive thoughts and hugs your way. Your description of his teacher brought a visual picture of a wonderful dedicated teacher years ago at an IEP meeting. I totally "knew" that she was doing everything she could do and was devestated by the lack of progress. It reminded me of looking into a mirror...when I was alone, of course.

*Hang in there and know you are not alone. DDD

InsaneCdn

difficult child explained how he preferred to sit to do his work (with legs on desk, or even lying down) and she said she would not allow it. She feels he has singled her out to torment. I felt bad for the teacher and assured her if we can get an FBA maybe we can figure out what triggers him in her class specifically.
Excuse me... if SHE feels HE has singled her out to torment... then you have a teacher guaranteed to work against difficult child every inch of the way. SHE sees this as deliberate, willful defiance. And it is NOT.

I will have to helicopter for awhile.
In reality, THEY need to helicopter. He needs an IEP...

M0M

First step is an SST. Even teachers need to be reminded that grading for academics and behavior are two different categories and that all students should be permitted make up work. Parents rights are to request proper accommodations to support their child in the classroom regardless of age. What has the teacher done to support son in the classroom already? What behavior management practices do they already have in place? Has the teacher considered a BSP (Behavior Plan)? Why is he being suspended? Is he receiving counseling for the loss of XH and dealing with the acceptance from and of DF? Sometimes it can be a battle of wills and if he is a teen, ODD, ADHD, a teen, or just a strong willed intelligent boy. I would ask for answers. You are not the victim and he is not an outcast. He will have a new teacher someday, a new boss someday.... He needs to understand the difference and how to manage himself, but at the same time, he also needs respect and consideration. Hope all goes well.

BusynMember

If you want your child to have an IEP, you can request one in writing (make sure to keep a copy). They have forty-five days to respond. It also helps to have a free public advocate, which you can find by calling your state's Dept. of Education. An advocate is a great help, especially when you're sitting in that IEP meeting!!!

Good luck :)

L

Liahona

Having his math teacher so upset might help get an IEP. Ask for the school psychologist to do a FUBA.

Last year difficult child 1 had a teacher that was very vocal that she didn't know what to do with him. This led to his having a BIP that helped in all his classes, and laid the foundation for the great year he is having now.