Very personal female question...guys stay away

Abbey

Spork Queen
Have any of you ever had an egg burst during ovulation? I've only had it happen twice in my life. You wonder how such a small sucker can cause so much pain. The first time I actually went to the ER thinking something like my appendix exploding, or something like that.

I woke up in the middle of the night with SEARING pain. I thought...great, cramps again for my period.

Couple hours later - definetely not.

The great part is I have to be at work in an hour. That should be interesting. Hey! How are you today? Then crumple into the fetal position.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No, I haven't had that happen... sounds bad! What did the docs do for you last time? Can you take ibuprofen to get you through the day?

F

flutterbee

I didn't know that could happen. It sounds dreadful. I've had an ovarian cyst burst and that didn't tickle.

nvts

Abbey, I've never had that happen, but I had a friend who had some cysts on her ovaries and every once in a while she'd ovulate and it would come through one of the cysts. It was extremely painful.

I'd give the gyno. doctor a call and get a quick sonogram done just to be on the safe side!

Beth

Lothlorien

When I worked in retail, I was on my feet a lot. I could feel that stinker burst and It would stop me in my tracks and I would hold on to the nearest thing or person available. One time, after apprehending a shoplifter, a cop was talking to me when it happened. He nearly called the ambulance on me. He said I went completely white and I couldn't breathe for a few seconds. It's very painful.

It only happens rarely to me now.

B

butterflydreams

Been there myself. Such a joy - NOT! Tis a fact of life for some people. My daughter (16 years old) just got to experience for herself. Back in May we ended up in the ER with excruciating pain and they did a ultrasound and found she had a leaking cyst. I have had them burst several times.

Christy

KTMom91

OMG! Owww! I've never had that happen, but it does not sound good. I only have two Vicodin left, but I'll share!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's called "mittelschmerz" (middle pain) and has been documented by physicians and midwives for a couple of hundred years.

It's caused when the egg is released and more than the usual amount of the tissue and liquid is released along with it.

Obviously, if you have cysts, and all of us have a few because we no longer spend our entire reproductive years either pregnant or lactating, you are at higher risk of mittleschmerz.

The pain, by the way, is due to the fallopian tube on the affected size going into spasm.

It's harmless, but it hurts like (fury).

I get it evey month due to cysts and ovarian scarring from endometreiosis.

klmno

Gosh, that sounds painful. I sisn't know something like that could happen either. I have pain and physical depletion of energy and actual sickness sometimes and anger issues right before my cycle but I didn't know about this. Surely a dr could prescribe something for the pain.?

I am so sorry...I know how they hurt.

For years, I would have that pain every other month on the left side. I could be walking around, no problem, and then BAM, right to my knees.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I get it -

But now I order my McMuffin - BACON only - No egg.

Oh not McMuffin - well whatever Genny said - Muffinschmiz or something.

Marguerite

It's not the egg bursting, it's the follicle the egg is bursting from. And GoingNorth is right, it's called "mittelschmertz" and it doesn't tickle. It can be associated with endometriosis and it can also be misdiagnosed as appendicitis (and vice versa). It doesn't happen every time unless you're unlucky and it can be controlled if it's really bad. Anything which stops ovulation (ie the Pill) will stop this.

Ultrasound can find the follicle, but wouldn't see the egg, it's too tiny. Sometimes the pain comes before the egg is released, because the follicle has grown way bigger than usual and is pressing on things. This happened to easy child when she was about 14. Then the follicle burst, the pain eased after a while and the hospital let her come home. They'd found the problem with ultrasound, about the same time the follicle burst and her pain began to ease.

sister in law used to get this too.

Not nice.

Hope it was just a once-off.

Marg

Lothlorien

Marge, I was on the pill and it still happened. This was in my twenties. It happens now and again, but I'm not on anything, now. I think it happened more when I was on my feet for long hours.

For those that ask if a doctor can give you something for the pain....You never know when it will occur and it happens so fast and is usually over within a minute or so. However, the pain is so intense that it takes your breath away and makes your knees give way. As soon as it comes on, it's gone. Pain medications are pretty useless for this, since it's unpredictable and really doesn't last long.

Now, I'm re-reading Abbey's original post and hers lasted hours??? Yikes. That never happened to me.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Marg, I get it every month. The supreme irony to all of this is that while I "still" (some of the time) ovulate, I'm sterile from the endo. My tubes are scarred shut with adhesions from the endo.

It lasts for a few hours in most cases. I guess the one upside if you don't have endo and are trying to conceive, you at least know when you are ovulating.

Being in periomenopause and getting irregular, there's another bright side to it. I do know that I'll get my "monthly" fourteen days from when the mittelschmerz hits...

That could be two and a half fripping weeks from the last time, or...three months.

I just turned 48 and I swear that there is nothing more obnoxious than having both hot flashes AND PMS is totally unfair.

Charmedpea

MY difficult child had this. The first time it happen we ran to er WE did think her appendix (spelling) has burst. Every month it never failed nurse would call from school and give me **** about her complaining about her stomach. I hated that nurse. she seems fine now doesnt complain anymore about pain.

Charmed

susiestar

Roll With It
Jessie has had this. The doctor said she was over-reacting. I ripped him a new one!! They clearly told us what it was, but said she didn't need medications, she needed to jsut "get over it"!

I am sorry you had this happen. It stinks.

GoneNorth, that really DOES stink. Makes me glad I had the hysterectomy.

I have a bff from high school who would go through ehr entire period trying not to breathe because it hurt so bad. SHE finally got relief when they did a hysterectomy! Sad that there is so little medicine can or will do when women are in pain.

Hugs!!!