Very upset, need to whine - Thanks for reading

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by susiestar, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    I finally got my regular doctor to do the referral to the endocrinologist. her nurse is a witch, lazy, and treats me like a nuisance. So the referral was delayed by over 2 weeks, because the nurse didn't want to "bother" (I was told this, and have told the doctor this.)

    The problem is a severe Vit D deficiency, I have had it for over 2 years. ANY kind of vit. D makes me very ill - sunlight, oral supplement, food. The reg doctor can't get the injectable because no one else needs it and they have to order a whole box.

    So, on the directions of the nurse, I called the endocrinologist. He is supposed to be very good - mom saw him and liked him.

    he can't see me until the end of Sept.

    I HATE HATE HATE HATE knowing there might be a fairly simple fix (a shot) to this, but I have no access to it for over 2 months.

    Life stinks here. It HURTS to move. I try, I keep up with what I can, put kids first, but I am so at the mercy of this. In so much pain.

    It is very depressing and even with an increase in my prozac I am not doing well. husband won't discuss it, but he is doing everything he can around here. I am just not functioning at all.

    Thanks for listening to me.
  2. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    {{{Susie}}} I'm so sorry you're still in so much pain and I wish there was a magic wand I could wave to make it all go away!

    Did you have the endocrinologist's office put you on the cancel list? And do they know the degree of pain and discomfort you are in?? I hope you can get in sooner than Sept.
  3. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    {{{HUGS}}} Susie,
    Sorry that you're having to go through this, especially knowing that the solution might be within your grasp. And sorry that the reg doctor's nurse is such a witch. Karma WILL get her.

    I agree with Jo's advice. If you can get on a cancellation list, and emphasize to the doctor how much pain you're in, then please do so.

    Sorry for your pain.
  4. Abbey

    Abbey Spork Queen

    Awww, Susie, that stinks. Is there another doctor you can go to?

  5. Star*

    Star* call 911

    Some days it just does not pay to beg for a shot in the arse.

    I wonder - could you call a free clinic locally who would have more of a need for treating vit. D and just walk in?

    How about call ing a doctor in the Box?

    Sending hugs for your apparent pain. Or .....rather lack of pain in the arse.

    Now I'm confused. :tongue:
  6. mom_in_training

    mom_in_training New Member

    OMG I am soooo sorry, Hang in there. Is it at all possible to talk to the Dr that gave you the referral and have them resubmit another with the label URGENT. I would consider your medical issue very urgent and you definitely need to be seen sooner. Sometimes you can get in soon due to a cancilation as the others here have said.
  7. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Call them and ask them to put you on a list to call if there is a cancellation or something opens up. A lot of specialists will do that and will call you to come in earlier.

    You could also ask your doctor to call and tell them of the need to get in earlier. Sometimes a simple phone call from one doctor to another will make the doctor double book. You might have to wait in the office longer, but hey, it's worth the try.
  8. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?


    Like's been suggested, be sure you're on the cancel list. I'd also call and explain the situation and be somewhat willing to outright beg or even camp out in the waiting for some afternoon.

  9. Big Bad Kitty

    Big Bad Kitty lolcat

    I never heard of a severe VitD deficiency until my mom was diagnosis'd with it. She too cannot stomach VitD in any way shape or form except for through a shot.

    I am so sorry for your pain. Do bug them about getting on the cancellation list. The squeaky wheel...
  10. amazeofgrace

    amazeofgrace New Member

    hmmmm sounds like you need a new Dr or he/she needs a new nurse!
  11. nvts

    nvts Active Member

    What about walking into the ER? It's a hospital, so they'd have it in the pharmacy.

    Just a thought, hope you feel better!

  12. flutterbee

    flutterbee Guest

    Susie -

    I'm sorry for all your pain and now that you have to wait. I totally understand. My GP wants me to see my cardiologist about my blood pressure and the first available appointment is Sept 17. Told me to call the nurse if it happens again. Which is a given.

    If I could just play devil's advocate...I don't think you should put all your eggs in the Vitamin D basket. I hope it helps you, but if you can't stomach it, I wonder if there is a reason. Did you read that article I posted on your other post about the vitamin D? Vitamin D deficiency is endemic in a lot of various conditions and the thinking now is that maybe your body is doing something to protect itself and that supplements may make things worse. I went from a vitamin D level of 4 to 45 with supplements and I felt worse while I was taking them and I certainly don't feel any better now. Let me find the article again. I'm not saying don't try. I'm just suggesting that you not get your hopes too high. Believe me, I know how hard that is. You become so desperate for answers or solutions or anything to allieviate some of the pain and sickness.

    Here's the article/study:

    As far as the nurse, wow. She's in the wrong profession. Nursing requires that you actually care about people.

  13. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    Thanks all. I am on the cancellation list - with 5 people ahead of me.

    The hospital doesn't have it - they say to see an endocrinologist. This is supposed to be a very good one, and considering I have had fibro for almost 25 years now (and I am only 38), I am not banking on this to fix everything. But it should help with some things, supposedly.

    And we are quite worried about bone loss, my reg doctor and I. 2 years at this level of severe deficiency - and my rheumy even consulted with a top guy (endocrinologist) about me while at a conference! But that suggestion was a different oral supplement - and it bombed.

    My reg doctor is a she, and she is fabulous, but she doesn't have that much say in who the nurse is. It is the only clinic in town and she got stuck with this woman. Who is better than the last one who told me it was all in my head and I needed to go check into a psychiatric hospital to fix everything. The doctor fired her for that, but it takes something really blatant. Argggghhh.

    Thanks so much for letting me whine. I will read the article. I appreciate it.

  14. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    So, very sorry.
    I just watched a news documentary on how Vit D deficiency is a leading cause of many concerns. I never knew.

    I wish I had more to offer, but please know I am thinking of you - and praying that somehow this all gets sorted out.
  15. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    Was just thinking....

    1)can you go to a tanning salon?

    2)Have you visited with a Homeopath? I would highly suggest a homeopath, since he/she may be able to pinpoint WHY you have this deficiency. You may need to take additional supplements.

    3) Visit Call to see if they offer the injections. If you have a prescription from your doctor, you may be able to get them from there, if you can't get it here.