Video games question

I used to have Gettysburg but it doesn't work with my current easy child operating system, Windows XP; and I had an another game, War at Sea, on a 5.5" floppy, "back in the day" (as difficult child would refer to any date more than two years ago).

So does anybody have recommendations for similar real-time strategy type war games, as opposed to the first-person-shooter type, which I can't stand? I am interested in historical recreations particularly of naval warfare scenarios circa 1700-1900.

Everybody is crazy about XBOX and PS3 and all that nowadays; do they have these type games available?

klmno

If you have Game Stp, EB Games, or a similar store (where they trade, buy, and sale new and used games), I'd call them. They seem to be a pretty good resource for different types of games, at least here.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I asked my SO since he is into war gaming big time - he said to try Command and Conquer or World War 2 on line.

He was on line for a while playing Day of Defeat - I found it kinda funny as he was using a microphone with the other players and some of the guys on there were actually in WW2 (actually they sounded more like guys from WW1, giving orders and directions on who was to hide where)

Me personally, just give me a sword and a book of spells and I will be happy all night lopping off Orc heads..

Marcie

Thanks for the suggestions! :bow:

Last night I found a game called Age of Sail that looks like just the thing. I downloaded a demo but I can't get it to work right. Stayed up til 1:30 this morning trying. Maybe I can find a CD copy at a gamer's store.

F

flutterbee

BBK - We did, too, until recently.

We inherited it several years ago when easy child's dad bought easy child a PS1 for xmas, but wouldn't let him bring it home. He sent the Sega instead.

Yep. He's a jerk.

trinityroyal

I have a Google add-on installed on my computer that includes a terminal replicator. It has Tetris, PacMan, Sonic, Donkey Kong, and lots of other ancient video games from back in the arcade days (anyone remember Space Invaders?)

Way Cool!
Little easy child is fascinated by the "old-fashioned" games. difficult child just thinks I'm lame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trinityroyal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Google add-on installed on my computer that includes a terminal replicator. It has Tetris, PacMan, Sonic, Donkey Kong, and lots of other ancient video games from back in the arcade days (anyone remember Space Invaders?)

Way Cool!
Little easy child is fascinated by the "old-fashioned" games. difficult child just thinks I'm lame. </div></div>
Sure I remember Space Invaders! We have one of those little units that plug into your TV with the old arcade games, including my favorite Galaga. I remember dropping quarters into Galaga and Centipede by the score. In college I even used some of my precious beer money (and a quarter was worth a lot more back then!)

A little closer to the present, wife almost gave herself carpal tunnel playing Mario Brothers on the Nintendo when we were first married. I think that thing is still lying around somewhere. Maybe the Smithsonian would be interested?

Anybody recall the video game system that came out in the mid 70s where you could actually play Pong on your TV? What was it called? It also had a duck hunting game with a light sensitive "rifle". It had game cartridges about the size of a VHS tape, as I recall. Was it made by Atari?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
My husband is a video game officianado shall we say. We have almost all the old systems ever made and they work.

He says origianlly pong was on telstar(husband has one and it works)It was the only game that was played on it. Then I think he said it was on Atari 2600.

We also have an origianl Galaga game (the aracade version)sitting in the other room. The whole family loves to play it.

We are always on the lookout for the remaining obscure systems that husband doesn't have yet.

As for the games on the easy child like you are wanting I played AGE of Mythology which is a little older setting but they have other age of games closer to what you want that you can play on the easy child also.

Beth

LittleDudesMom

Have you tried to change the preferences on your video game so it will play on xp? My son has play gettysburg on his computer that is xp. Well, I should say was. I got him a new one yesterday that was preloaded with vista.

Another option is going to the the History Channel on line and see if they offer a patch for the game that you can download so it is playable on xp. I know that i will spend some time doing that for difficult child for some of his old games once he tries to load them using the vista operating system.

Command and Conquer, Axis and Allies, World in Conflict, Rise and Fall - Civilizations at War, Faces of War, StrongHold Legends, are some other of that type of strategy game. These are the type of games that difficult child loves the best. The "arial" strategy type games.

Hope you can get it to work for you. GameStop is a great idea as well becaus you can purchase used games.

Sharon