Vinegar and baking soda for pet stain scent

scent of cedar

We have a little male dog who has been marking territory on the sofa and the corners of the bedspreads. He is so little though, that we didn't realize he was doing it until the most fragrant aromas started rising out of the sofa, the arm chair, and the corners of the guest room bedspreads.

Eeewwhh....

So, I tried a paste of white vinegar and baking soda that I read about somewhere.

It works.

The vinegar causes the soda to bubble. The bubbling action bubbles up the odor, and the vinegar and soda take care of the rest.

I rinsed the areas the next day with clear water.

Try a small area first for color-fastness.

They say it works for urine smell in mattresses or carpet, too.

Fortunately, he hasn't (as far as I can tell, anyway) felt the need to mark the mattress.

Yet.

Barbara

trinityroyal

Vinegar and baking soda is also great for clearing clogged drains and giving them a fresh clean smell. I had no idea you could use them for pet stains too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pootie under one arm......baking soda and vinegar in the other.....

Thanks you very very much Pootie does. :tongue:

scent of cedar

Oh Star, you are so funny!

I didn't know about the drain sweetener, Trinity. That is a great idea, and I will try it. I do know this about drains, though: We found the most rancid smell coming out of our kitchen sink drains every so often. Thinking there must be a clog somewhere further down the line (the water drained just fine) we used Liquid Plumber.

Nothing.

We even used bleach.

Still nothing.

What we learned is that the smell was coming from food backing up into the drain from the sink that has the garbage disposal in it. If we run water in the sink without the disposal while we use the spray to wash down the food in the sink with the garbage disposal, the running water prevents food from backsplashing into the drain for the other sink.

No odor problems since.

I am going to use the soda and vinegar in all the drains anyway, though.

What a good idea.

Barbara

threebabygirls

I use vinegar to clean the showerhead in our bathroom. It removes all the mineral deposits that cause the water to spray everywhere but where it should. I put a small amount in a sandwich bag, submerge the showerhead in it, and tape the bag in place. I leave it for a half hour or so, and it's sparkling.

SRL

If you have serious cat odor problems you'll want to google for the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution. (I think you add a little detergent). I don't remember the amounts but it's a cheap alternative to the Oxy products and is supposed to work wonders. Test it first if using on fabrics though. Works on skunk odors too.

scent of cedar

Oh, SRL! Where were you that time the cats wet all over my brand new carpeting?!? I tried EVERYTHING I could think of, including those biological sprays which are supposed to take away any odor.

They didn't really work ~ you could still smell it on humid days.

I didn't know about the vinegar and soda at that time.

I'll bet that hydrogen peroxide and soda would have done the trick!

Hydrogen peroxide will bleach whatever you use it on, though ~ so be careful.

Barbara