Virtual Chainsaw Art Club?

seriously

It's been a bad couple of days here. And it's been weeks since I did or could do any of my own art which involves the use of very sharp knives, scissors, tiny pieces of paper and other things like the ability to work uninterrupted for at least a couple hours at a time. since we have put away all the sharps in the house and working uninterrupted is a dream at this point I simply haven't done any work.

This morning wife and I were talking about options for either me getting away or her taking difficult child 2 on a little trip so I have some space.

She already had plans to take difficult child 2 up to the little town in the mountains where her brother lives. The town has 1 stop light, 1 grocery store, 6 churches, and the downtown is 6 blocks long including the 2 square blocks taken up by the County Courthouse. There is one small art gallery open on weekends with art by regional artists. It is surrounded by federal forest land.

wife hadn't planned to leave for a few days and difficult child 2 is saying he won't go.

So wife said, maybe I should go instead.

Her plan was to take difficult child 2 up to a small lake nearby and camp, fish, boat using her brother's trailer and equipment. I can't go to the lake because I get altitude sickness.

I could stay with her brother at his house in town though.

Our conversation about this went something like this:

wife says "well you could go stay with brother in law for a few days"

"hm, what would I do all day? I think I'd be stir crazy in a couple of days. I suppose I could take a camera and do some photography." say I.

"well there is some art stuff up there" says wife.

"not just the chainsaw art." she says.

I laughed so hard I thought I would fall out of my chair.

"that's it!" I cried " I should take up chainsaw art!!! Just think - it could be very therapeutic."

I think I laughed for at least 5 minutes while I waved a virtual chainsaw around making vrrroooom vroooom noises.

So folks - what do you think? Should we start a Virtual Chainsaw Art Club?

Or am I just so far into La La Land that I am the only person who thinks this is hysterical?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If you're in La La land, I'm right there with ya!

I can just see you, waving around an invisible chainsaw. And I have never seen you in person!

If people can play air guitar, we can have air chainsaws!

Jody

Too funny. I hope you go so you can get away and have a few good days. Stir crazy or not, it would be peaceful. Go and have some fun and do everything that you want to with no issues!!!!!

H

HaoZi

I'm reminded of Jackyl's "Lumberjack" where they play a chainsaw like a guitar.

donna723

I live in a little town in Tennessee that sounds just like that only we now have two red lights and our downtown is only two blocks long including the court house! And believe it or not, we also have a guy who does "chain saw art"! He has an appliance store and when he's not busy selling appliances, he's in the parking lot in front of his store carving bears and owls and totem poles with his chain saw! People buy them to put in their yards and some of them are really neat!

keista

And here I was imagining inviting you down to cut up two of my big palm trees. Would love to have them turned into totem poles. Well, if the virtual stuff gets boring you can come down and practice on my trees in real life. (They are gorgeous, but annoying and I want them out.)

H

HaoZi

I like chainsaw art. We have one at every half-mile marker on the trail down by the river here.

K, sniff around a bit, you might find someone willing to dig them up to transplant them, those aren't cheap trees when they get big.

seriously

I think chainsaw art is very interesting and hope no one thought I was dissing it.

I was just struck by it's potential as a therapeutic tool when I am really mad.

Of course, wielding a chainsaw around when you're mad - maybe not so good an idea.

I guess it was more that I find myself wanting to destroy things at times (as opposed to destroying my child) and applying a chain saw to a large piece of wood sounded like it would satisfy that visceral need.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
No, seriously (seriously... Hmm) I understand.

We have a few trees that fell in the last windstorm in the neighborhood. We should not need firewood this winter at all - husband does have a chainsaw, and he is always in a better mood after "chopping" wood.

seriously

yes - somehow the ? that was supposed to be at the end of "seriously" failed to make it when I entered my new nom de plume.

So when you see Seriously - think Seriously?

If a moderator can fix it - please do. but i didn't want to make another new account just to get a ?

H

HaoZi

I would love to learn chainsaw art for both the art and therapeutic values. Unfortunately, I am generally a danger to myself with sharp objects other than knives (which also happens but is thankfully rare). How many people do you know that have accidentally split their finger open on a paper clip? Or managed to slice both index fingers on those prong things in a folder at the same time? I dare not bait my own hook on the rare occasions I have been fishing. I won't even rummage the tackle box. In fact, keep it as far away from me as possible.

Ever seen the chainsaw ice carving?

H

HaoZi

I had to look up Scherenschnidtt. Pretty stuff, way beyond my talents. I do simple woodburnings.

seriously

No, I'm the one that does the paper folded art. I posted a link a while back and you asked about the Pink Bustier remember?

I use very sharp tools in a number of different ways.

Very controlled, small, detail work.

That's why the chainsaw thing struck my funny bone so hard. It is about as far opposite of what I normally do as you can get.

Um i'm not sure that sentence made sense but I hope you get my meaning.

Going to leave the house now and go somewhere to do something for the day.

Thanks all