Volcano erupts in Alaska

F

flutterbee

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25656492/

I saw this and was going to post and make sure our members are ok, but then I realized that I don't think we have any members in Alaska. And then I wondered why not. Are there no difficult child's in Alaska? Or maybe they're too busy chasing bears and staying warm.

And, no, I'm not picking on Alaska. I mean, I wasn't entirely sure people actually lived in Oklahoma, for example, until I came here and met Susie. :tongue:

But then I learned that she's from Ohio so that explains that phenomenon. We have a lot of members from Ohio. Maybe we produce more difficult child's?

Have you noticed that, though? We have a lot of members from a few states and then some states where we have no members at all.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow.

You know what? I'd never know what was gong on in the world if it weren't for this place. I so rarely watch tv anymore. :rofl:

Do we have members in Alaska?? Isn't that where GoingNorth is? If so, I certainly hope she's ok.

You know, I never really thought about the "clumping" thing with members and states. But it does sort of seem that way. lol

F

flutterbee

Because they have active volcanoes or so we can have a member from Alaska?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Because they have active volcanoes or so we can have a member from Alaska?

I'll be the lone survivor of no difficult child's from Alaska. I can skip the volcanoes.

Wait a minute. Can I rewrite history? I ALREADY have a difficult child. Doggonit. Foiled again.

Abbey

Sara PA

If we have members from Alaska, I guarentee you they live no where near this volcano. The island it is on is in the Aleutian chain, that string of islands that extends well into the Bering Sea. I doubt that the handful of people who might be in danger include any of our members.

I lived in Anchorage when Augustine erupted in 1986. That volcano is in the Cook Inlet, at least 200 miles from Anchorage. We had ash in the air -- gritty, nasty ash -- but little else. The volcano that is erupting now 860 miles from Anchorage.

Alaska is huge. It's about as big as two Texases, one Arizona and a Connecticut. And the population is less than a million. In fact, there's less than on person/square mile. About half the people live in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area. Other fairly large population centers are Juneau, Fairbanks and Kenai Borough. Accounting for the residents of those areas, that leaves about 144000 people for the rest of the state. There's a whole lot of empty, uninhabited land.

And yes, there are difficult child's in AK. If there aren't any parents from AK on this board, there are on other boards. My go-to person for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) is in Alaska.

Steely

Well............fantastic. Remember my parents and their high adventure paddling trip? In Junea Alaska, and West. Yep. They are up there now. I am trying to figure out how close they were to all of this as we speak. I am freaking out.

Steely

Well, they are paddling in the waters in the gulf, somewhere near to where the volcano blew. Just please pray the waters do not become unmanageable with the quaking of the earth when the volcano blew. They are in the middle of nowhere, complete out of touch with civilization.

Of course I cannot reach them. Period. I so wanted them to take this sonar beacon device with them on this trip, so I could kinda track them when I became Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) about their safety. But they insisted on not doing that. They have a satellite phone to use, if they get in trouble - but it only takes outgoing calls, not inbound.

I am sure they will be fine. I am sure.

Sara PA

At worse they might get a little ash in the air. But that's not likely. Juneau is farther away from the volcano than Anchorage by a few hundred miles. The winds would have to blow due east for the ash to get to Juneau.

Sara PA

The volcano is near Dutch Harbor which is about half way down the Aleutian Chain. That's nowhere near Juneau. It's about 1000 miles due west of Juneau. They may be paddling in the Alaskan Gulf, but they are close to the shore. No one paddles in the middle of the Alaskan Gulf.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
GoingNorth isn't that far north, LoL.

I live in North Central WI. I "went North" from Chicago.

Sara's right about that volcano. It is well away from any populated areas. Alaska is highly volcanic. The mainland part sits on a tectonic plate border and the island chains are actual volcanoes.

tiredmommy

We used to have an active member from Alaska a few years ago, though her name escapes me. I believe her husband was stationed there with the armed services...

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would go live in Alaska - they are giving away free land if you homestead for 2 years.

No people,
Cool weather,
No Walmart.

What about that sounds bad?

Sara PA

No stores.
No roads.
No utilities.
No doctors.
No schools.

There is no homesteading program anyway. Hasn't been since 1990.

OpenWindow

Cool weather???? It's freakin' freezing up there!

I can't even touch an ice cube without freaking out. So in Alaska, I'd be a difficult child most of the year.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Cool weather???? It's freakin' freezing up there!

I can't even touch an ice cube without freaking out. So in Alaska, I'd be a difficult child most of the year.

:rofl::rofl: You get the first laugh of the day. It's COOL??? Somebody needs to buy Star a dictionary.

Abbey

TerryJ2

No stores.
No roads.
No utilities.
No doctors.
No schools.

Lots of men, though.

Ooops, I just looked it up--that's an old stat from the Klondike era. Men only outnumber women 51:49. Not enough to make it worth the small # of ... um ... Starbucks, garden shops, child psychologists, massage therapists, and other common luxuries on the mainland. :sick:

Still, if you're a photographer, it's Heaven on Earth. :redface:

Sara PA

Um....that would be the "Lower 48", not the "mainland". Anchorage has all those things you listed though the garden stores are more limited than in VA, I'm sure. As for the rest of the state.....it's a toss-up.