Waking up in the morning

morningcuppa

Just a thought as there is so much knowledge and shared information on this board.
Has any one else's difficult child got a problem waking up?

This is beyond just being lazy and having a late night.
My difficult child has always been like this and even as a toddler would rage when he had woken up or been woken froma daytime nap. He would go into a very deep sleep and sleep for hours.
Now as an adult (22) getting up for work is a real problem.

I'm just interested really.....

goldenguru

I remember reading a study once (sorry cant cite it) about the fact that teens/young adults biological clocks are set very differently than adults. Specifically, they don't tire until much later (which would explain why they stay up so blasted late) and that they don't naturally wake until later in the day.

Some school districts were even altering their school days to try and accommodate high school students better. Pretty interesting stuff.

I doubt this is just a difficult child problem. Maybe your son just need alot of sleep. My husband is like that. He can easily sleep ten hours a night and take two long naps on the weekends. He has always required a lot more sleep than your average person.

meowbunny

Big problem here. My daughter is one of those who needs 9+ hours sleep. I really hate when she doesn't get it because she is such a bear. I hate even more being the one who has to wake her and, frequently, it seems my voice is the only thing that can wake her. She is not a pleasant person in the morning!

K

Kjs

I read that same study. Saying that once adolesence hits their body clocks change and they just have a hard time going to sleep before 11pm (many after). And they need more sleep.

My son in little. He is a year younger than his classmates, but OMG he is little. I picked up a friend of his the other day and difficult child is up to his elbows!! difficult child is not very patient and upset that he isn't growing like everyone else. He'll be 13 in December. He likes to try to stay up, but doesn't last long. Then he wakes up early and has to wait 4 - 5 hours for any friends to wake up.

easy child use to stay up late and sleep all day. Now his job requires him to travel and he must be at his destination between 3 - 5 am depending on which place it is. Now, even if he goes out late, he is up early. Says he doesn't like wasting the whole day.

My shift (midnight - noon) I sleep when I can. Hard to sleep when neighbors are revving up the cars, repairing their homes, cutting the lawn..kids playing. Some days I sleep an hour or two several times a day (or night). Really messes up the dogs since they follow me around and I walk them at all hours of the day or night.

Neurologist told all of us (because of headaches) that we must keep the same sleep pattern. Same bedtime, same wake time. Trying, but difficult.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Huge, HUGE, problem all difficult child's life. When and if she ever gets a real job, it's going to have to be 2nd shift, say 10-6 or 3-11 or something.

I remember once bringing her out to the bustop in her jammies I was so frustrated. Ugh. Many times I was late for work and rather than take the commuter bus I had to drive into the city and pay top dollar to park for the day.

In fact, the first time she threw a tantrum at school and the teachers FINALLY got a good look at what I was dealing with was because difficult child wouldn't get out of bed, wouldn't brush her teeth, wouldn't pee, wouldn't get dressed, wouldn't eat her breakfast, ugh. It took a long time to get her ready for school and then she was eerily calm all the way there. When we started for the school doorway, she lost it and the principal came out and took her and I began to follow. The principal looked me square in the eye and said, "LEAVE. NOW. I HAVE THIS." I hightailed it outta there! haha.

Mornings are hard for her, it didn't take us too long to figure that out and try to make adjustments for her. Incidentally, for grades 9-12, she popped out of bed because we put her in a different school. Never had a problem in the mornings after that again.

Now almost 18 and a HS graduate, she's looking for a job and has stated, "I don't want to get up real early, but I don't want to work nights" LOLOLOL...when DOES she want to work? She said she wishes she could get a job that requires her to be horizontal and asleep.

susiestar

Roll With It
My bro was always like this. Still is VERY hard to wake up, and has a hard time stopping his endless list of busywork to go to sleep. In high school (he was in college, living at home) he used to PAY me $5/wk to pour ice cold water on him to wake him up!! Best job I ever had. We couldn't shake him or touch him to wake him up because he woke up swinging, and could really hurt you. All in his sleep.

I also have an uncle (married into the family) who needs 12 hours of sleep. He can and does function on 10, but less than that is terribly hard for him. After travelfor work (he is a sports reporter and covers Olympics and other things) it is not unusual for him to sleep 24+ hours straight.

Each of our kids is one of a kind. So your difficult child may need more sleep. BUT you have to make it his responsibility, his job to wake up if you want him to ever function independently.

The water pouring was my bro's idea, and he paid for it. That was his way of being responsible for it then. If he didn't get up when I poured the water, I still got paid.

Hugs,

Susie

jamrobmic

This is a huge problem for my son, as well. Trying to wake him up is extremely difficult, because he sleeps so deeply that he doesn't hear a phone, an alarm clock, his mother standing in the doorway screaming at the top of her lungs...nothing. There have been many times when I've gotten him to the point where his eyes are open, he's sitting up, but he's saying nonsensical things, so I know he's not really awake. He also sleeps with his eyes open at times (freaky). He's another one that didn't want to work nights-he wanted to work during the day and then stay up all night socializing. He's finally figured out that won't work. Right now he is working 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., but it's still difficult to get him up. The difference is now he does get up. When he had day jobs, there was no way he would get up.

morningcuppa

Glad to hear this isn't unusual.
He does get up for work eventually but sometimes if talks to me I get the impression he is still asleep like yours janrocmic! He often doesn't remember conversations at that time or will talk rubbish. :smile:
It's more than just needing more sleep though.
Its almost like his brain waves have slowed to stop! He's been like this since he was a toddler so it didn't start as a teen.
He used to go into such a deep sleep that we could dress and undress him and he wouldn't wake! (He's 22 so I don't do that now!) :sleeping:

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh man, I am so jealous! NONE of my kids could have you doing ANYTHING in the room while they slept. Dress and redress??? That would have been awesome at times. It sure would have saved the battles aobut what to wear (both my obys had definite opinions about fashion from about 12 months on, not so much with my Jess)

Hugs,

Susie

morningcuppa

Dress and redress??? That would have been awesome at times. It sure would have saved the battles aobut what to wear (both my obys had definite opinions about fashion from about 12 months on, not so much with my Jess)

We didn't do it every day but when we had come back in the car and he was still asleep in his car seat we would be able to lift him out and put him into his sleep suit and he wouldn't wake up.
He also had firm ideas about what he would wear. Soft stretchy stuff etc.

His sleep pattern just seems odd and it seems quite common with adhd. He is an adult now but his sleep pattern is still off beam.