Wanting to get a jump on Christmas!

susiestar

Roll With It
OK. I know we will have certain people to give Birthday and Christmas gifts to. We have so many birthdays around Christmas it has gotten hard to handle. Even though we stick to a fairly strict $15 dollar per person (some years $10) in my family, and I work around that with husband's family, it can mean a LOT of labor. If we spent more $$ it would still be a lot of labor.

So I am trying to think up sayings so we can do the stamps, notepads, tshirts from that printing company online that does the "free" stuff. Last year they were quite competitively priced and had fun stuff. I did a teacher basket with postits and a notepad with teacher name, and a self-inking stamp with good Job because she was writing it on EVERY paper and I know she had arthritis. by the way - the self inking rubber stamp was a HUGE hit - she had to etch her NAME into it because it was getting borrowed by other teachers.

anyone have sayings about teachers, or know of websites with sayings so I can print up a tshirt for this year?I want to spread it out over as many paydays as possible. Cause Jbird is going back to school this year, Junior High, so MORE teachers!

Anyone up for Christmas Ideas in Late July??

Ho Ho Ho!!!

meowbunny

I think gifts for teachers pretty much goes out the window once the kids hit middle school, unless a teacher is truly exceptional. I know used to bake a bunch of cookies for the teachers' lounge every year from middle school on. This was always a big hit.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie

I gave up on presents for teachers in Jr High as well. Unless the kids had one they really wanted to give something to. Usually we made the gifts ourselves. One year it was sunbonnet magnets for the frig, I don't think it cost me 2 bucks a magnet. lol But it was fun.

I like the baking up a batch of cookies for the teachers lounge idea myself. Wish I'd thought of it. :)

And I don't wanna think about xmas yet. EEEKKKKK!!! I'm still doing bdays. easy child's is today and she still won't give me an idea of what on earth to give her. ugh!

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG, Susie. I can't even read the responses. I don't think about Christmas until about...ummm...Dec. 22.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay here's my cheapo Mom but cute and useful Idea -

Go to the Dollar General (one with the yellow and black bags)

Get wire whisks - they come 3 to a pack for $2.00

Get a package of peppermint candy - red/white/hard also $2.00

Then hand make a tag that says

We WISK YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Put the peppermints inside the wisk end and use some glad wrap /colored if you wish to bind it all up and secure with a bit of ribbon.

For $4.00 you get 3 gifts and some left over peppermint candy.

:tongue:

Star*

call 911........call 911
What about organizing the class to each make (1) GOOD FOR coupon and make a teachers book of coupons to use throughout the year?

She could redeem the coupons like

Wipe the board
Dump teachers trash
clean off the desks
Be quite for 10 minutes
etc....?

Each kid could get a "blank" you have cut from tagboard and design it themselves and you put it into a nice covered coupon book that says Teachers Coupons.....on the front?

I don't know - Thank Goodness you're starting in July.....

Andy

I agree - no gifts for teachers past elementary school - mainly because there are so many. However, if you still want to - a card with a small token gift would be fine. Maybe colored expo markers for dry erase boards, notepads, pencil box for the desk.

I used to have a free week in August so would pre-sign and pre-address Christmas cards - I would do the form letter later.

susiestar

Roll With It
Jessie will have MY old teachers - and SHE will WANT to do gifts. Has already brought it up. I like the treats in the lounge, and the Wisk gift also. Very cute!

We have all the bdays but jessies and mine wrapped around christmas, so I HAVE to think ahead or the budget is majorly stressed. And I REFUSE to put anything on credit. Ever again, especially presents for anyone. So I gotta think now.

Thanks!

Andy

Your old teachers! Wow - Then by all means go all out. I like your t-shirt idea. One idea: "Preparing Our Future Leaders"

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
too funny, my kids have had and will have some of my old teachers too!!!

I agree Jr. High/Sr. High gets too hard to give to everyone. But difficult child I's Highschool study skills teachers always get good gifts, because they have a hard job with my child!!! Also any teachers that go out of their way to try and help him succeed, I will normally do a gift for or at least a note. I normally give gift cards, just maybe $5 each, I just try to save the money to the side, and think of it as buying them lunch at Wendys or a coffee and bagel at Dunkin Donuts. I think teachers get alot of sentimental chachkeys and liquid gifts, no matter how small, are appreciated. But notes, pens, pencils, stickers and stamps are not chachkeys, they definatley get used! I once gave a teacher a pack of 100 pencils I found on sale for $1 and you would've thought I'd given her a diamond ring!!!

K

Kjs

I have to laugh, cause with my experience with school and teachers....I would give them a saying you cannot repeat!

Seriously, when there is the special teacher that takes the time to get to know difficult child, or the couselor or this past year the principal...we will get that person a card, with a gift card for one of the local fast food places. I see many cups of coffee or soda from these places sitting on their desks when I very often visit!!!

A neighbor gets a nice calendar for each person. Fills in all the b-days, anniversaries - special occasions. She does some artwork with the calendar. She also has a big family. And they are a very close family. This wouldn't work with my family cause they just don't care.

I begin purchasing gift cards from Walmart and other stores in small denominations July 1. Each payday (weekly) I pick a store and purchase a small denomination card. By xmas If I don't see something I like I can give a small card as a gift. Or save it until I find something myself OR use it in a b-day card for one of difficult child's many parties.
OR..I can just give it to easy child or husband or difficult child and they can save for something they want.
Last year I had my sights on an XBOX360. I had it paid for long before xmas. However I KNEW what I was saving for so I spent a bit more each payday.

slsh

member since 1999
Anyone up for Christmas Ideas in Late July??

Ho Ho Ho!!!

Not only no, but NO!!!!! :bah-humbug:

OMG, Susie - while I hope to someday be one of those super organized people who have it all planned by Thanksgiving, I don't think it's going to happen this year(decade/century???).

LOL, I wish you much luck in coming up with ideas. ;)

Star*

call 911........call 911
(said in a yelling across the football field voice)

SHE SAID SHE WANTED TO JUMP ON CHRISTMAS

I TOLD HER TO DO SO WITH BOTH BOOTS AND WHEN SHE'S DONE WIPE HER FEET ON THAT CUTSEY LITTLE HAPPY HOLIDAY DOOR MAT!!!

soooooo........kiddo......ya baking valentines day cup cakes on New Years?

:tongue:

susiestar

Roll With It
Star,

I don't DO the whole Valentines thing. Not with school. Kids can do their valentines. husband and I do something, but for some reason I am just burnt out by Feb. Maybe it is dealing with the holidays and 5 bdays in a 2 month stretch???

Susie

ps. Maybe if I did cupcakes on new years and froze them, then I could just thaw and frost and I WOULD be ready for Valentines. Hmmmm. Something to think about!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
ok so am I the only one with an excel spreadsheet budget/log titled "Holiday File" complete with a colored bar chart comparing the past 5 years of holiday expenditures>? Yes I am a nerd!

DammitJanet

OMG AOG! You would be my hero if I could do that...lol. Please come save me!

I am praying I can start getting ready in September by starting fleece blankets for the adults...lol. I have promised myself that all the adults are getting those no sew fleece blankets this year...along with one of those fruit baskets for my dad. He loved his for Fathers day. Then I am going to put a max on the toys this year for the kids. I just cant go all out this year.

N

Nomad

Go to dollar store and buy mug...go to Starbucks and get $5 gift certificate and put inside mug and wrap.Add some holiday candy. Put in little note to treat themselves to a cup of joe and have fun. I think it is a really nice gift for about $6 or $7 and people LOVE it.

Susie Star...How do you print up the tshirts economically? That sounds like a really good idea!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
ok so am I the only one with an excel spreadsheet budget/log titled "Holiday File" complete with a colored bar chart comparing the past 5 years of holiday expenditures>? Yes I am a nerd!

I actually did that up until about 5 years ago. I had to shop for... lessee now, 10 people on my side of the family, 13 people on husband's side, the other 4 in my immediate family, and then there were the 3 or 4 close friends and their families! Talk about crazy!

Finally, husband's family got wise (sort of) and we now pick names for all the adults and we all shop for his parents and the cousins (although now that the oldest cousin is turning 20, I think it's time she joined the adult ranks!). And two years ago I finally insisted that my family do the same (mainly 'cuz I was tired of buying nice gifts for my brother's girlfriend and having that spot changed with someone new every year). So, holiday shopping has become a bit simpler...