Washing fresh fruit for a crowd?

DDD

At home I usually use a tiny bit of liquid detergent and alot of running water before drying each piece. I'm wondering as I buy fresh fruit (it will be served in baskets on each table with-o cutting) if I should do something more to make sure everything is aok.

Once again, I know someone will have good input. Thanks. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think your usual routine is more than adequate. Why would it matter if it's a single piece or a basketful? It will just take you a little longer. Fill up one side of the sink with your usual solution and use the other side for rinsing... you can put the clean pieces in a colander to dry as you are working on the rest of the load. Then dry as usual.

Sounds like you've got a big party planned!

susiestar

Roll With It
You could also fill up a dishpan with water and baking soda. Stir until the soda dissolves. Wash the pieces in this solution, then rinse in running water. For berries, grapes and more delicate fruits let them soak in the baking soda and water solution for 5 minutes and then rinse by letting them sit in a clean bowl of cool water for a few seconds or a minute. Let these dry on paper towels - or on a cookie cooling rack over paper towels. It helps the soda dissolve if the water is warm, but for grapes and berries you want to cool it off with some ice before you put the fruit in it.

This is a LOT easier than washing each one in liquid soap and rinsing. It also uses less water.

DDD

Thanks. Things are getting frantic and fresh fruit for 200 overwhelmed me for a minute. I just needed resassurance in the midst of chaos. :D DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW! for reference next year, you can sometimes get donations by calling the company that grows the fruit. I got sunkist oranges for an elementary school for Christmas one year - 400 oranges bigger than big grapefruits and sweet like candy.

Also tons of Chiquita bananas for a 5k to benefit a charity from Chiquita. Just look them up in the phone book.

That is a LOT of fresh fruit.

I would do the baking soda routine. Or you can get some of that Fit fruit wash. My mom uses it. Just dump some in water and let it soak a few minutes.

Here is a link to Fit: http://www.tryfit.com/