Washing machine?

Lothlorien

Oh the darn stress......

Now, my washing machine isn't spinning out. It's a Kenmore. I swear I will never buy another appliance from Sears as long as I live. We used to swear by them, but everything we've bought in the past 7 years or so is just garbage. I went online and looked up the Kenmore washers. Some guy has a video posted of a Kenmore washer he bought and took apart....faulty materials seemingly on purpose and then three screws sticking out of the drum (definitely on purpose) that eventually wears down the plastic outer drum, causing the waher to leak. OMG if that happened here, I'd have a heart attack. My washer is on the second floor.

So, I call Sears for a repair. My mother in law just called them and they offered her a warranty for a year for $129. I can deal with that. NOPE! They offer me a warranty for $329.00 plus tax! Um, hello! I can get a brand new washer for that!

Anyway, need suggestions....nothing too expensive. I had a front loader, but I am not going there again. Maytag, GE or Whirlpool? Something else? There are four of us...with more laundry, I think, than most four-people families. I don't need 80 different cycles...like some of these fancy machines (sheesh who needs all those?)

Josie

I don't know about washing machines since I have a front loader. I just wanted to say I think they just aren't making appliances very well now. We have been in our 14 year old house for 10 years and have had 4 different dishwashers, and 4 different microwaves. Some have been replaced by warranty, but it still isn't a very good record. We have switched brands, thinking we just had a bad one, but it hasn't made any difference.

The repair people tell me that appliances 10 years old are better than new ones. Of course, maybe they just want me to repair them instead of buying new.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have GE, and though we had one problem (turned out the agitator belt broke due to a HUGE safety pin in it, thanks Onyxx) - it's been awesome. Since 2004. :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've got a Kenmore front loader... haven't had any issues with it and it's been probably 7 or 8 years that we've had it. I think.

Anyway, appliance issues, especially ones you count on for daily use, simply hoover. Maybe you should check out the Sears outlet if there's one near you. At least you won't be paying full price... do you have access to Consumer Reports? If not, maybe the library has back issues you could look at for washer reviews. I've found those to be very helpful.

DammitJanet

You guys are so right about appliances just not being what they used to be. My mom had a washer that she had with her since she got divorced from my dad in 1982! It was still working when I brought her up here! It was small though or I would have brought it with me...lol.

I have been through so many washers I cant even count them. Just in the time we have been on this land since 1997 its been 3. This last one we got at a place that reconditioned ones that broke down. It was cheaper and they gave a one year warranty free. I only paid $150. I got the one before that for $200 at Lowes and they wanted me to pay for a warranty and it only lasted about 2 and a half years.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Just fyi, really research what you get...I think Kenmore and Whirlpool are in bed together and are essentially the same appliance.

I also know the discount stores and big box stores contract with the manufacturers of big ticket items to purchase them...A john Deere Lawnmower from Lowe's is not made by the same John Deere that sells lawnmowers at a Deere dealership, so I'd assume the same thing is true for other "name brand" appliances that are sold at Lowe's.

Learned this the hard way...

Lothlorien

Sears is definitely in bed with LG. Our Refrigerator is a Kenmore/cheapo version of LG. We paid a small fortune for the stupid thing and things broke on it shortly after we bought it. The drawers stick and the plastic peices are garbage. Plus, we can't clean the thing properly, because all this stupid stuff is in the way. On top of that, the water filter needs to be replaced every six months and costs $50. a peice, if you are lucky to find them at Sears. I've had to order them online for over $65., because Sears is always conveniently out of stock.

witzend

I have the same washer and have done a lot of research on it. I know exactly what you are talking about.

There are decent front loaders out there, and I would probably replace the current one with a front loader when the time comes. If you want, I will hunt down the info that I found to help you find the best option - front or top loader.

Lothlorien

I'm going to go with a top loader, just for the shear sake of saving some money. This washer was somewhere near $800 or so. It ticks me off that this thing is broken already. husband looked up the problem on the internet and it apparently is the circuit board which is appx $400. for the part. I may as well spend that same $400 on a new one.

witzend

Not so fast, Missy! Circuit boards are about $400 if you pay someone else to order them and put them in. They're about $35 if you do it yourself! If you want, I can find the cheapest one for you?

witzend

"quiet tumble"... Why do I not believe that? lol! (You could look at all of the glassware broken during the spin cycle in my house!)