We all need to lose some serious weight

Californiablonde

My daughter and I are suffering various health problems due to our weight. My daughter, who is 5'3 and 244 pounds, has just been diagnosed as morbidly obese by her doctor. She ran a bunch of tests on her, and it turns out she is insulin resistant, which is pre-diabetes. Her doctor is putting her on Metmorfin, which will help, but she says that's not good enough. My daughter needs to get on a serious diet and exercise program. She also has a very abnormally high heart rate, so she is being sent to a cardiologist to run tests on her heart, which scares me.

I am also obese, and have been struggling with losing these 70 pounds for the last four years. I have no idea what hit me when I turned 40, but I suddenly started binge eating and went from 120 pounds to 194. Maybe it was the increased anxiety. I don't know. But right now it's a real struggle to lose this weight. I lose ten pounds or so, go off the wagon, then gain in all back then some. I don't know why I can't get it together and lose this weight.

I am getting very short of breath lately even just walking from one room to another in our little apartment. I am also getting heart palpitations with the slightest movement. If I hadn't already had all these tests run on my heart, I would think it was congestive heart failure or coronary artery disease or something like that. It must be all this darned weight I've put on.

I went to see my gastroenterologist about a month ago due to my worsening GERD, and constantly vomiting up stomach acid. I thought he was going to say perhaps I had stomach cancer or something. He didn't. He didn't even mention cancer. He told me all my problems are weight related. He looked up on his computer to find out what my weight should be for my height. I should be at 119. I am at 185. I told him that I was on a new diet and lost 9 pounds in four and a half weeks. He was not impressed. Instead he said, "Wow, you still have a bunch of weight to lose. A TON." It made me feel bad. I feel so overwhelmed by having almost 100 pounds to lose.

I must do this, and get my family healthy. My daughter also gets very short of breath just walking short distances. Forget about wanting to look good again. We need to do this to save our lives. A few days ago I started cheating on my diet. I ate really bad for three days. I'm sure I gained several pounds. I could kick myself. I don't know my exact weight right now because our bathroom scale broke. I cannot afford to get another one till I get my taxes back in February. Today I am back on track. I hope I can stick with it. I hope my daughter will jump on board. She says she couldn't care less if she dies early. She actually prefers it. She would like to go to heaven and avoid this "terrible world." I am scared for her. I am scared for myself. Wish us luck on this journey.

JRC

I'm sorry about your health issues. :( That totally sucks. I find that I need external pressure to stick to things: diet, exercise, what-have-you. Basically I need someone or something else to keep me accountable. Would you consider doing weight watchers with your daughter (or alone)? I really wish you the best. You sound a little scared ((hugs))

AppleCori

Hey, Cali

Glad you checked in. My daughter is almost finished with her dance class, so I won't be on here long, but I just wanted to send some encouragement. I am working on losing some weight, too, and it is not easy.

We have to hang in there, though.

I remember something I heard somewhere that resonated with me: nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

I will check back here later, but don't despair.

One step at a time....

Crayola13

My daughter and I are suffering various health problems due to our weight. My daughter, who is 5'3 and 244 pounds, has just been diagnosed as morbidly obese by her doctor. She ran a bunch of tests on her, and it turns out she is insulin resistant, which is pre-diabetes. Her doctor is putting her on Metmorfin, which will help, but she says that's not good enough. My daughter needs to get on a serious diet and exercise program. She also has a very abnormally high heart rate, so she is being sent to a cardiologist to run tests on her heart, which scares me.

I am also obese, and have been struggling with losing these 70 pounds for the last four years. I have no idea what hit me when I turned 40, but I suddenly started binge eating and went from 120 pounds to 194. Maybe it was the increased anxiety. I don't know. But right now it's a real struggle to lose this weight. I lose ten pounds or so, go off the wagon, then gain in all back then some. I don't know why I can't get it together and lose this weight.

I am getting very short of breath lately even just walking from one room to another in our little apartment. I am also getting heart palpitations with the slightest movement. If I hadn't already had all these tests run on my heart, I would think it was congestive heart failure or coronary artery disease or something like that. It must be all this darned weight I've put on.

I went to see my gastroenterologist about a month ago due to my worsening GERD, and constantly vomiting up stomach acid. I thought he was going to say perhaps I had stomach cancer or something. He didn't. He didn't even mention cancer. He told me all my problems are weight related. He looked up on his computer to find out what my weight should be for my height. I should be at 119. I am at 185. I told him that I was on a new diet and lost 9 pounds in four and a half weeks. He was not impressed. Instead he said, "Wow, you still have a bunch of weight to lose. A TON." It made me feel bad. I feel so overwhelmed by having almost 100 pounds to lose.

I must do this, and get my family healthy. My daughter also gets very short of breath just walking short distances. Forget about wanting to look good again. We need to do this to save our lives. A few days ago I started cheating on my diet. I ate really bad for three days. I'm sure I gained several pounds. I ucould kick myself. I don't know my exact weight right now because our bathroom scale broke. I cannot afford to get another one till I get my taxes back in February. Today I am back on track. I hope I can stick with it. I hope my daughter will jump on board. She says she couldn't care less if she dies early. She actually prefers it. She would like to go to heaven and avoid this "terrible world." I am scared for her. I am scared for myself. Wish us luck on this journey.
Your doctor sounds like a condescending :censored2:. I think I'd go to a different one or see a nutritionist instead. My nutritionist said losing 9 pounds in four weeks is normal.

Calamity Jane

This weekend, I was reading an interview with the actress Marilu Henner (64 y/o). The interviewer noted how slim and healthy she still looks, and Marilu said she and her husband work out every day, watch their diets, and it's not always fun. Marilu said something like, "Healthy is hard, unhealthy is hard. Pick your hard."
That really resonated with me for some reason. It DOES svuck to have to constantly watch what you eat, and exercise and be mindful of stress, etc. But the alternative of obesity, diabetes, medication, etc. is hard, too, maybe even harder. You just feel bad all the time when you're not taking care of yourself, and it affects every area of your life.
They sell shelf stable protein drinks in most supermarkets, and some actually have low sugar, and very few ingredients. I like the brand "Core Power" personally. They have a 14 oz. Core Power elite (42 g. protein, 240 cal., 7g. sugar) to which I add 3 TBS. peanut powder (also in the supermarket where the peanut butter is sold), and whip that up in a blender with-ice, and sometimes a banana, and I'm telling you, I'm full for hours & hours. Also, there's no GERD associated with drinking this, bc I too have GERD, and it never acts up with the shake.
You should find what works for you and your daughter, and make a commitment to each other to keep up with a new regimen. You'll feel better in every way, I'm certain. Remember, pick your hard!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My husband and I are both dieting right now for an upcoming vacation. He has gained and lost the same 15 pounds for 25 years but at least he never gets over that weight. He uses Atkins but it doesn't work for me. I actually gain!

I started Weight Watchers this month and have been following that and will continue to do so until Spring or maybe after that. It is $20 per month to join online which to me is very reasonable. The app lets you scan food at the grocery store to see how many points foods are and there are also tons of recipes so you don't get bored with food. There are other sites that offer WW point recipes also. It is some work but as CJ said, all the health issues that come along with being overweight are horrible and I don't want that and hope to live a long and healthy life.

Life is all about choices. It really is. Losing weight is also a choice. Great that you have a buddy to do it with too! You can do this!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
If you're willing to make some dramatic changes, watch a Netflix documentary called Forks Over Knives. It's ALL about health. My husband and I watched it last March and began the regiment literally the next day. I've lost 25 pounds and I am very lean, a result of the loss of inflammation caused by sugar and dairy. It's basically a plant based, whole foods lifestyle.

Everything improved, skin, hair, nails, mood, energy levels, absolutely NO CRAVINGS and we sleep better.........but the greatest benefit of all is we are healthier than we've been since we were quite young. We take no medications. Your cholesterol numbers plummet, your blood pressure goes down, your risk of heart disease and diabetes is slashed if not eliminated.......

The documentary was put together by two doctors, one is a heart surgeon. If you are interested in being as healthy as you can be, want to lose weight and feel great, and are willing to make some considerable shifts in your diet, you will be healthy.......and thin.

Forks Over Knives has a website which has great success stories, they're inspirational. It also has recipes.

Whichever way you decide to go CB, sending my support for you and your family.........you can do this!!

JKF

I got a Fitbit Charge 2 for Christmas and I've lost 18 lbs. since! It helps motivate me to move more and keeps me accountable for my actions (AND lack of actions). I LOVE it! I didn't realize how sedentary I really was until I started wearing it. I can also track my calories in/out and that makes me want to make healthier choices. I can't say enough positive things about it.

Copabanana

I am doing intermittent fasting. The variation that works for me (or I hope it does) is the 5/2 where two days a week you radically lower your caloric intake, in my case, to less than 600 calories a day.

There are other versions whereby you fast a part of the day. That would mean, for example, you do not eat breakfast but eat only during a window each day of so many hours. Like if you eat from 12pm to 6pm your fast each day would be 18 hours. For me this version would be harder. (Except for this. I like milk in my coffee. I was wondering if that broke the fast. Just last night I read this: that under 50 calories does not break the fast. I could do that. If I can drink coffee or tea, I would be, I think able to confine my eating to a 5 or 6 hour window at night say from 12 to 6 pm.)

The nutritionist I went to for 2 years knew a woman who lost a great deal of weight this way. She only allowed herself to eat during the day. She was a physician I think. She was very active during the day in her work. She allowed herself to eat as she wished during the day. Except this is how counter-intuitive it was: She was so busy and distracted, she ate quite moderately and healthily. In her off time, at night, she fasted. I find this very interesting, because I would want to do the reverse. Not eat when I am indifferent to eating. When it is easiest for me.

Dr.Jason Fung, a nephrologist, of Canada puts his patients with heart disease and Type II diabetes on intermittent fasts and says diabetes and heart disease are reversed. He explains the science on a number of youtube videos and articles that are quite interesting and readable.

I have been trying to lose weight for almost 3 years. It will be 3 years in April or May. In that time I have lost only 20 pounds. That was enormously discouraging to me. I gained 60 pounds over a period of 5 years. I want to lose 30 pounds more.

For me, I am at the age where overweight really translates into a health risk. I am willing to do something what seems extreme, to get the bulk of the weight off.

In the past diets never worked for me. What has worked is movement. Lots of dancing, walking, activity in general. What happens is when I go back to work, I gain weight.

It is hard right now to motivate myself to increase greatly my exercise, but I will.

I did not on purpose set about fasting. (About 6 or 7 months ago, I did for a few days, on purpose, I dropped a couple of pounds.) What got me going again recently was remembering that if I ate only certain foods, I felt satiated. My appetite much decreased. I felt in control.

I remembered this when I had become discouraged because I was eating 9 cups of vegetables a day, thinking I would lose weight. I weighed myself, and I had gained.

The foods that take away my appetite and allow me to lose weight are: salmon, pears, and cottage cheese. And additionally I use about 1.5 cup of milk in my coffee or tea each day, in small amounts throughout the day. If I eat a little salmon a few times a day, I am satiated. I do not have cravings nor does my blood sugar spike, sending me off to stuff my face mindlessly. I eat a little bit of whatever I want. Like today I had half a corn tortilla with a bit of melted cheese (like a mini-quesadilla) and maybe a couple of ounces of beef. (Please do not be concerned about me. I will begin again adding back salad.)

I am not counting calories, but I doubt if I eat much more than 600 to 750 in the days that I cut down, which lately have been most days. Dr. Fung would call this calorie restriction, which he believes does not work. He holds to the idea that there should be a period during each day where one does not eat at all, which I will work towards.

I believe that many people may be like me: having a few foods that just agree with them, that satisfy them. I do not feel lethargic or weak-minded.

On the contrary. I think that gaining control over my food consumption is making me feel mentally stronger and healthier.

Many people swear by the vegan regimen to which RE ascribes. I went to a practitioner about 18 years ago who held the view that we all differed in our metabolic styles. He typed people into 4 general categories. I was a Fast Oxidizer. That meant I needed to eat a Paleo diet, more or less, to slow down my digestion, I think. My friend did the system, and she was advised to follow a largely plant-based diet.

When I followed that plan, any ailment I had at that time disappeared. I will not bore you as to what they were, but they quickly receded.

What I am trying to say is that I do not think there is one ideal diet for everybody. Some people think, even, that our different ancestry determines to some extent our dietary requirements. My mother and my grandmother each settled into very rigid diets for most of their lives. My mother ate the same thing for breakfast, lunch and most dinners for all of the time I am able to remember. My grandmother, too, for sure. Remarkably to me, unconsciously they hit upon very similar dietary regimens.

I think if we become conscious about our choices and how they affect us, we can ourselves arrive at a personalized regimen that gives us both a sense of control and health.

Good Luck, CB.

I feel discouraged for you about the attitude of your daughter towards her life and life, generally. I feel for you. And for her.

Do you think she might consider enrolling in Job Corps?

Take care, CB.

Last edited:

KTMom91

Two years ago, I jumped the line from pre-diabetic to diabetic. In addition to Metformin, I was prescribed Victoza. It's supposed to help with appetite control. I also started walking daily (mostly), and eventually got up to two miles a day. I dropped 30 pounds.

Then some other health issues intervened, bringing chronic pain and with the pain, increased depression. After a perfectly awful 18 months, where everything hurt and all I wanted to do was sleep, my breaking point came when we visited Miss KT in Oregon...and the 90 minute plane trip put me in such agony I ended up in a wheelchair going through the airport. I had to go off the Victoza because I couldn't afford it any longer, even with relatively good insurance.

I've put the weight back on, I know, but since I've got the pain sort of under control, I can work full days (upward of 12,000 steps) and be pretty much OK. I plan to start walking again. Our neighborhood is perfect for that. I want to keep my numbers under control. I don't want to go blind or have my feet or legs amputated. I'm also getting really really tired of the recurring yeast infections (sorry if that's too much information).

I have yet to find a traditional diet that works for me. I'm sticking to the "eating less and moving more" program, but I'm eating real food. No fake sugars, no processed fats, no low cal/carb/whatever. Eggs, meat, fruit, veggies, yogurt, pasta, milk, butter - in moderation.

Unfortunately, if your daughter doesn't buy in to the desire for health, there isn't a lot you can do, except to buy only ingredients for meals instead of frozen lasagna, for example. Buy bananas instead of cookies, and yogurt instead of ice cream. Lead her by your example. And good luck to you both. Weight loss is no joke. I've been struggling for most of my life.

Jabberwockey

Lil and I have done Weight Watchers before and been very successful with it. She dropped 100 lbs and I dropped 50. Then we stopped and gained the weight back. Our numbers right now are firmly pre-diabetic and if we don't do something it could get bad.

I like the "Pick your hard" thing as well! Right now I weigh 280 lbs and am miserable. I can't move right, get out of breath just walking to my car, nothing fits right, you all know the routine. The main thing to remember is that it ISNT a diet! Its a lifestyle change. That was our problem on WW, we quit the lifestyle and lost the benefits. Yes, it was a royal pain to do all the measuring and what not but it worked. Really, the measuring was the main reason we quit. It just got too tedious.

Last week we started using the Infernal Machine again (aka the elliptical) and I've started monitoring what I eat again. Not doing WW this time, but using a website called myfitnesspal.com. It lets you track what you eat and adjust different nutrient intakes. My two big issues are sugar and salt. I eat WAY too much of both. That combined with a very sedentary lifestyle is a recipe for disaster.

Like others have said, what works for one doesn't always work for everyone. Try something and if it doesn't work then adjust. As far as your daughter goes, you can't force her to do anything. The best thing you can do is get yourself healthy and hopefully she will see how it improves your life and that will motivate her to make the changes as well. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Nomad

Staff member
I was doing well on low cal, healthy eating and recording in my APP, but got on prednisone and that blew up in my face.
As my dosage lowers, I might try again or I might try Weight Watchers again, but tweak it slightly as I think sugar can be problematic and attempt to keep sugar intake as low as possible.

As soon as possible, I would consider getting a scale. I know you said that yours is broken. I could scream that I lost a book I read with studies in it re: weight loss. However, I can tell you that studies have shown that folks who weigh daily usually do better.

I suspect this is because of accountability, awareness etc. I write my weight daily on a white board.

I try not to attach any emotion to it. I simply try to learn from it. It has become clear that, for example, sugar is an issue. Also, that drinking a lot of water is helpful.

You might want to start a thread here to get ideas. That was one thing I always enjoyed at the WW meetings...one of many. The ideas. But also, the support and accountability.

Wishing you success!!!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
My coworker who is on WW like me found a site called EmilyBites.com

It is all light comfort food and the WW SmartPoints are shown at the bottom of each recipe. I made the sausage and tortellini soup and it was amazing. It uses hot Italian Turkey sausage (didn't know it existed) and the flavor is outstanding. My husband (who is German and loves his sausage) even loved it.

From what I've read, a big reason that people go off diets is because they get bored with the food so I try to mix it up by making healthy recipes. Love the site.

Jabberwockey

I suspect this is because of accountability, awareness etc. I write my weight daily on a white board.

I try not to attach any emotion to it. I simply try to learn from it.

This can be hard for some people. I personally find it difficult to weigh daily because it frustrates me. Weekly is much better for me. The trick is to do it at the same time on the same day so you don't have variations in your daily routine affecting it.

AppleCori

I have started to be more mindful of eating healthy and have now added in going to the gym in the morning. Hub and I go in to the gym before work in the morning, and are starting with a half hour on the treadmill. Hope to gradually work up the speed and add in some of the other machines.

A few months ago I went into the urgent care for a sinus infection. The doctor I saw told me that if I didn't loose weight, I was going to start having health problems, and I would be going to the doctor with ailments more and more frequently, taking medications, feeling bad. That really woke me up and got me to think seriously about my health.

For me, I have to be mindful about snacking/eating/grazing during the late morning/early afternoon hours. I don't feel like eating anything after supper, but the middle of the day is my weakness.

Apple

Jabberwockey

A few months ago I went into the urgent care for a sinus infection. The doctor I saw told me that if I didn't loose weight, I was going to start having health problems, and I would be going to the doctor with ailments more and more frequently, taking medications, feeling bad. That really woke me up and got me to think seriously about my health.

That's kind of what prompted us. We haven't smoked since November and I'm still having sinus issues. Didn't make sense until I thought about the fact that my doctor told me that the main cause of sleep apnea is being over weight. And we quit smoking because of sinus/respiratory infections.

AppleCori

Congrats on the quitting smoking!

My hubby quit two years ago, but he occasionally smokes even now, mostly when he is with people that smoke. And some of them are my relatives, and his older son, so we can't avoid them all.

I don't smoke, but I get occasional spring/fall allergies, which can sometimes cause me to get a sinus infection.

I had a sleep study, and I don't have apnea, but I do have restless leg syndrome. I decided against taking the medications, though.

Copabanana

We haven't smoked since November and I'm still having sinus issues
Congratulations Jabber (and Lil) about stopping smoking.

I have sinus issues too. I just bought an air purifier (with a true Hepa filter, that is important.) I am amazed at how much better is my breathing, and how my sinus congestion seems to have decreased in the last few days since I have had the machine. But the best part is just how pleasurable is taking in clean air. I live in a highly polluted area. To breathe clean air in my bedroom feels like such a blessing.

These machines are not cheap but I did a lot of research. There is a South Korean brand that is widely sold throughout the USA called Winix, for example, at Home Depot and Lowes. *This brand is uniformly rated highly. The models 5300, 5500, and 6300 are almost identical. The 6300 has stopped production. I bought a refurbished machine for $90 including shipping on Ebay. They included new filters which were in the machine wrapped in plastic, and 2 extra carbon filters. The system utilizes two filters: a washable true Hepa and a carbon filter for larger particles. If this machine was ever used, it is undetectable.

Buying new the models are close to $200 and over.

Over time, I plan to get a few more for the rest of the house, at least the rooms we are in all of the time.

I want to restate because it is so important to me: the awareness I am breathing clean air makes me feel so good. To breathe deeply, just that, feels wonderful.

I hope I did not cross the line is speaking about a specific brand name. If so, I am sorry.

Nomad

Staff member
Many of you probably saw my post not too long ago about a friend of ours who passed away due to a weight related issue. We were shocked, because honestly, we just thought heart issues and probably diabetes were the serious issues related to overweight. However, this woman developed endometrial cancer which the doctor said was very much related to being overweight and then she also had some kidney issues which were likely related to her obesity as well. She was sent home with hospice and died very quickly. She was 60 or 61 and in fairly good health otherwise. The doctor was adamant that her illnesses and death were related to her being overweight.

Jabberwocky...Congrats on quitting smoking!!! Awesome!
I think once a week weighing is also excellent. I do better with daily for a variety of reasons; but I do skip a day now and again if I feel it will frustrated me too much. We are each different. I think the most important thing is to do it with much regularity.

I too have had some issues with sinus, but knock on wood and throwing salt over my shoulders, that is much better of late. And I too, purchased good quality air purifiers for our home and believe them to be very helpful in that battle. (Someone from this site recommended the brand ...at the time I was looking!!! )

Last edited: