We are seeing

Wiped Out

Staff member
some improvements in difficult child recently. You may remember he wasn't doing well and when we last saw psychiatrist we did a medication tweak and he said if he wasn't doing better in the next 5 to 10 days he would hospitalize him.

Well the medication tweak has really helped. There has been 0 violence since the medication tweak! He has been taking his time outs for swearing-sometimes it takes him knowing some other consequence will be put into place if he doesn't take it. The timeouts seem to be helping some although he still has a long way to go with- swearing and disrespect.

The neatest part is in between his (many) difficult child moments, I have been getting more hugs from difficult child-out of the blue for no reason. When we went bowling with- a friend before my class reunion he was watching my friend with her son on her lap. He came over, sat on my lap, and asked why we didn't have moments like that and gave me a hug. His sense of humor also is surfacing more again and he can be very funny.

With my difficult child things change so quickly but it's nice to be enjoying some pleasant times right now.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My goodness, Sharon - literally brought tears to my eyes. Sweetie, enjoy these moments. I hope you see more regularly. :flower:

Janna

What a welcome relief for you, Sharon :bravo: If anyone on this site deserves it, my friend, it's you :princess: Glad there is a positive. Phew!

Steely

:bravo:

This is wonderful, awesome news! in my opinion, it is all about tweaking those medications. It seems to be a constant in our life, but when you see the success it is all worth it! I am SO happy for you.

Out of curiosity, what medication did he adjust?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! It really is nice to see this side of difficult child. Today he had his therapist appointment and she said she could tell how relaxed he was. We were at the grocery store today and he burped in my face-typical difficult child. What wasn't typical is when I told him he wasn't getting his candy bar because of it he put it back and didn't complain, no tantrum, swearing, nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faint:

WW-The medication we increased was the Topomax.

DammitJanet

gotta love that topamax...lol.

Glad to hear things are sounding up. It does make it so much easier to enjoy them when they are pleasant.

What is he up to on the topa just out of curiosity? That was my first wonder drug and I wont be going off it ever if I can help it. I am taking 600 mgs - 200 in the am and 400 right before dinner.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Janet,
He's up to 150mgs in the am and 150mgs in the late afternoon. It was the first mood stabilizer that really helped difficult child-the Lamictal has been helpful too but Topamax was the first to really help after trialing many others.

Mrs Smith

The neatest part is in between his (many) difficult child moments, I have been getting more hugs from difficult child-out of the blue for no reason. When we went bowling with- a friend before my class reunion he was watching my friend with her son on her lap. He came over, sat on my lap, and asked why we didn't have moments like that and gave me a hug. His sense of humor also is surfacing more again and he can be very funny.

We notice the same things when our son's medications are working - more hugs, more "I love you's", more interaction in general. It's also the first thing to go when medications aren't working.

Enjoy the good moments.

Sunlight

sharon, I love hugs. there is something about them that warms the soul. glad you are getting some doses of the milk of human kindness..lol