We bought a new car!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My Astro van is on its last legs... I reluctantly put (cheap) new tires on it last month because they were bald and got an oil change since it was about 10K miles overdue. Then I was told it needs new brakes and shocks. I had to replace the transmission at 40K miles and it now has over 122K. Since 80K miles, I've replaced the fuel injectors, the water pump, the fuel pump, the a/c and the radiator and thermostat. The passenger side seat recliner and window control is broken (thanks to husband), the window motor on that side has a short and only works intermittently, the glovebox is busted, the front a/c only comes out from the defrost vent, it has no radio knobs, the driver side visor flops, it's got a big dent in the back, it needs a new serpentine belt, it has an oil leak, and the carpet and upholstery is stained with 9 1/2 years of ground in food, drinks, crayons, beach sand, playground dirt, soccer field mud & grass, and you-name-it (yeah, I've had it detailed a few times, but not in the last few years). Plus, it's a gas hog.

So after many, many months of discussion, husband and I went out today and bought a new Ford Escape. It was one of those lost leaders where they advertise only one or two at that special price. We got a great deal, decent financing, and best of all, it's NEW and the payments are about $100 less per month than husband's Explorer we just finished paying off. (So much for having no car payment!)

The plan is for husband to drive the Escape to work and I'll drive the Explorer. Then we'll probably donate the van to charity. I'm gonna miss that hunk of junk! For all it's problems, it's been a very useful vehicle.

Lothlorien

Congrats! Enjoy the new wheels! The escape must get pretty good gas mileage, especially better than the Explorer, so that should save you guys some money there!

TerryJ2

Congrats! Sounds like you needed it!

My husband just bought a new car, too ... he flipped when he realized how much 4 new tires would cost. He got a new car at a lower monthly payment, all tune-ups covered, and the downpayment was less than the new tires would have been.
The auto industry is hurting right now.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Hope you can make that "new car smell" last a long time......I live in my car and get attached so husband always has to pry my hands off the steering wheel when he finally decides the fixing expenses are more costly than just buying new........Enjoy the new ride!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Stella -- Another great Ford acronym: Found On Road Daily ;)

This will be our third Ford (my fifth -- I had two used ones before I met husband) and we've had amazing luck with them (knock wood!)

Yeah, it's time to say buh-bye to the van. I figure I'll call our favorite chairty and make the arrangements for it to be picked up before the end of the month.

What I really wanted was a Toyota Sienna -- but right now I just can't justify the payments, the mileage, etc. We needed something sensible for a change.

Andy

I have a Toyota Sienna - bought it new 1 1/2 years ago. I had heard so much good about how it holds its value (almost impossible to find a used one). We tend to purchase demos which have low miles but there was none for the Sienna. We bought during a promotion that if you do all the maintenance at the dealership, you get new tires at 25,000 and 50,000 miles. At first the dealer wasn't going to honor it, "Usually people out of town don't get their maintance here." "For free tires, we can be in town every three months for oil change, ect." That was before we ended up in town almost weekly with difficult child's doctor appts. They did honor our 1st set of new tires.

I love my van! It was more than husband wanted to spend (but then I am always getting him to pay more than he wants to spend - not on purpose, just things I want cost more than he would hope) but I told him it may be the last van we would get - once difficult child is out of the house we may go back to a smaller vehicle - I am rethinking that one - I am really into storage space - I love my van!

Enjoy your new vehicle.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:bigsmile: Congratulations on your new vehicle. I love a new car - hate the payments.

husband & I will have to replace one of our vans sooner rather than later & am not looking forward to a car payment. We haven't had car payments for 4 years now.

Enjoy the new car!

susiestar

Roll With It
Congrats on the new car. Be SURE to check with your state - some have tax incentives for getting a more fuel efficient car. A friend just replaced their family car and will end up getting most of the payments back as tax incentives!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations on your new car!!!!

FYI - you can put that car for PARTS on Craigslist or Ebay and probably part out the interior, etc for WAY MORE than you could get as a whole. If it's older someone is ALWAYS looking for the parts.

FYI - that too is a problem as having a stripped car in your yard may/may not be an eyesore.

Then once it's stripped - have it hauled in for scrap. Recycle.

Star notes that she is a charity. lol bwah ha haaaa.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What's yer address there, ol' Starry-eyed one? I'll drive it on over and park it in yer drive way or back forty or wherever you want! ;)

KTMom91

I thought it was Found On Road Dead...the only two Fords I've owned were a 1975 Pinto and a 1968 piece-o-cr@p van. Both of which spent way too much time On Road Dead.

Enjoy the new car! Yours sounds way better than mine!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, I don't think Ford was doing so hot in the Pinto days ;) I have fond memories of an old boyfriend who drove an ORANGE Pinto :D (Sigh.... his car may not have been hot, but HE sure was!)

TerryJ2

Andy, your Sienna will last forever. I had one and the only reason I traded it in was to get a Prius. Now I love that. :)

gcv, my sister had an orange Pinto. That kind that you could rear end and watch it burst into flames ... It kind of fit her personality, sort of like your old boyfriend. :)