We had an IEP

Wiped Out

Staff member
meeting today so that difficult child can start the year half days at his regular school and half days at an alternative school for children with emotional and behavioral problems. He will be in a classroom with up to only 3 other children and there are almost always two adults in the classroom at one time. The entire school has only 16 students at a time (16 in the morning and 16 in the afternoon) and that's when they're full. Figures in a SD of about 30,000 (guessing at the number but I know it's huge-might be in the 20,000s) my difficult child would be in such an elite group.

I was able to meet his teacher there for next year. She seems like she'll be good-doesn't seem like much phases her. They do a lot of learning around coping strategies along with academics. They are on a point chart and work to be at different levels which gets him different privileges. they have a beautiful park on grounds which is an added bonus.

Another bonus is that next year instead of being dropped off at my school he will be dropped off at home!! That's a huge stress release right there.

I think this will be a good placement for difficult child and am praying it works out well.

On a side note-thank goodness for difficult child's medications that help him sleep-it's been a long first day of summer break-of course-no sunshine for days along with rain is not helping!! Thankfully camp starts next week!

I'm happy that you think this is a good placement for your difficult child. Having him dropped off at home instead of at your school is an additional bonus. I'm keeping him in my thoughts and praying this placement helps him... SFR

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That sounds like a great environment for difficult child and a huge help for you, too! I hope the summer goes well for him -- you both have something to look forward to in the fall!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wow, I'm almost jealous!

This sounds like a great plan for difficult child. I hope it pans out to be.

flutterby

Fly away!
That sounds like a really good plan.

And a car ride home at the end of the day all by yourself? Wow, nice. Don't get too giddy now. :tongue:

Wiped Out

Staff member
SFR-It's definitely a bonus!!

Gvcmom-difficult child may not be looking forward to it but I do think he will change his tune once he starts (at least I hope so).

Shari-It does sound like a great plan-but don't be jealous yet-lol (first we have to see how it turns out).

Heather-Too late-I'm already too giddy!!! Not to mention with easy child/difficult child going to the alternative hs next year I also get to ride to work by myself!