We have a new wee fur baby - Schroeder

Mattsmom277

Since His Highness Sir Linus died last week (easy child's pet rat), she's been lost. We walked in stifling heat yesterday to the pet store and picked out a new baby. He's so tiny! He's light cream (nearly white) with just his head looking like it was dipped in caramel, and big soft brown eyes. He loves to cuddle, hasn't nipped even once and is starting today to explore his home and build his nest in his nesting box.

He's absolutely adorable and easy child is still missing her Linus, but she's much happier with a new little critter to look after. He's so tiny, I'd forgotten how small Linus was when we first brought him home. He even had visitors, family members, who were never "Rodent" people until they fell in love with Linus. They heard she had a new baby and they flocked over to meet him, wanting to see him while he was still in his baby phase.

Sometimes being a mom feels extra good. easy child's face this morning when I discovered her with him in the living room was radiant with happiness.

Star*

call 911........call 911
CongRATulations are in order! Highly suggest passing him to his Auntie Star for a bruxing and a snuggie. I think you should also get him a BROTHER! ;)

Please accept my sincerest condolences and heartfelt sympathies about Sir Linus. DF and I were just talking about him this week and wondering how he was getting on and...now we know. He's playing with Jwi, Noodles, Mannie & Albert. Nice to know he has company.

muttmeister

You make me want to go out and get a rat for myself; I used to have some but haven't had any for awhile. It's amazing how much you can love a rat (and I don't mean the two-legged kind:tongue:).

It will be a good lesson for her that you can love a somebody new without forgetting the old one. Not a replacement...just a new addition.

Have fun spoiling the new fur baby.

Mattsmom277

We are considering a brother. We got him at the same place we bought Linus, but I had uber concerns about ending up with another sick and infectious (to other rats) little guy. So we started with Schroeder, and if he's still healthy and seeming well in a week or so, we are going to venture back to pick up a buddy for him. (We will keep him isolated for a week as well to ensure that he is healthy before blending them to the same cage).

As much as we miss Linus, I know easy child is going to enjoy being even more interactive with her new little buddy. Linus only had a few months of being able to walk straighter and explore more when taken out of cage etc. His crooked head and spinniness (made that word up i think lol) made things different for him. On the other hand, he was a terrific suck about his snuggle time and loved being carried around in the pouch of hoodie sweaters etc.

easy child is chomping at the bit to go out and buy her new baby a new tiki hut and hanging tunnel to sleep and play in, but we're in a heat wave with stupidly high humidity so she's going to have to use patience lol.

As I type, Schroeder is curled up in my lap, nestled in a blanket and just blinking up at me. He's sooooo cute I look forward to easy child starting school so I can have him to myself weekdays ;).

Star, you can come visit anytime ;)

Star*

call 911........call 911
You have no idea how templeton tempting that is........So when are you going to go get CHARLIE the BROWN?

Mattsmom277

ROFLMAO No word of a lie Star, that is EXACTLY what easy child plans to name the new little guy we will pick out next week. No clue where her idea to name after the peanuts gang came from, but there you have it! She's a funny girl lol. Her guinea pigs at her dads house are named Albert and Einstein. And yup. Schroders new roommate will be Charlie! (And she insists he must be brown!)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Snoopy wouldn't be bad for a hooded rat - but rats are so snoopy already. The thought of walking up to the cage and hanging out and saying "HI YA CHUCK." just slays me.