We have kittens!

mstang67chic

Going Green
So....if you remember, we have the stray who moved herself onto our enclosed front porch. It was obvious that she was pregnant but she REALLY got big. I knew she was ready to pop so I've been keeping an eye on her. I picked up a job for this past week and worked some today so I looked for her when I got home. I didn't see her but had to potty so went back out to check on her after a bit. She came up to me when I went on the porch...I petted, she meowed and then turned around.

Most DEFINATELY time for kittens....membranes were making an appearance.

I led her over to the box I had made up for her but wasn't sure if she would use it. She hadn't really shown interest in it and had even made a little den in another storage container of old bedding but she went right to the box. She would lay down, shift, move, come half out and want petted and then lay down again. She acted like she wanted me there so I grabbed a book and settled in.

It took a few hours but we now have (for sure) 3, possibly 4 kittens. I'm pretty sure there are 4 but it got too dark for me to see into the box and I didn't want to turn the light on. I'm also not entirely sure she's done so I'll check in the morning when I can see better. The box is in the corner of a stack of tubs that have either blankets overflowing out of them or on top of them and I put an old blanket around the outside of the box as more insulation. It is a completely enclosed porch but still. I also made sure there was a blanket hanging down so that it's mostly covering the box to keep things fairly dark for the kittens. If she'll let me, I'll see if I can get in there tomorrow and replace the soiled top layer with fresh bedding. I was surprised she seemed to want me there and even leaned her head out of the box for an ear scratch after the kittens started coming.

So...from what I can tell, the definate count of 3 includes one black/white sylvester cat and two black/gray (I think) tiger striped. The b/w one looks like it's going to be absolutely adorable....white legs, chest and has a white necklace. I'll try to get a decent picture soon but I want to let her settle in and see how she's acting first. But...they all seem healthy, she seems fine and was purring when I came inside. I was pretty impressed.......short of a grunt or two....she never made a sound.

Kitten anyone? They should be ready mid June!

klmno

Wow- she's luckyy she found you! Are yyou leaving her plenty of food? Are you actually going to take care of them all until they are ready? Maybe you should open a business with pets somehow- not breeding, but getting the babes ready to go then selling them or something. And taking care of people's pets in your home when they are on vacation.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I moved her food and water dish to basically right outside her box and her potty isn't much further away either. The plan is to find her and the kittens all good homes because I couldn't bring myself to take her to the pound pregnant.

witzend

I would have to take them down to the humane society while they were still cute enough to be adoptable.

susiestar

Roll With It
How absolutely wonderful!!! She sure seems attached to you, esp if she let you pet her during delivery. This says good things about the kittens and their socialization. They are much less likely to be feral if momma is bonded to someone. We learned that the hard way with a crazy kitten who would not let Wiz (a baby) or I anywhere near husband. She ended up going to a farm to be a barn cat because she attacked Wiz one day.

I cannot wait to see pictures!!! I wish I was closer. Maybe if I get the house organized I can get a kitten as my reward. Other than the feral one we haven't ever had a kitten.

What a lovely thing to witness on a spring evening!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
FYI. Cats have what is called a 'bicornate uterus'. There are two "horns" to the cat uterus. It is not uncommon for a female to deliver the kits in one horn and take a break before getting started on the other one.

If she isn't distressed and is eating and all of that, you might have another furry bundle of joy or two come AM.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Yeah....I'm fairly certain there is a 4th......she just didn't seem done yet and besides...she was HUGE! LOL I'm still not convinced that she's done so I'll just wait and see in the morning.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, like in humans, it takes a while for the baby belly to go back down since the muscles are stretched. If nothing happens by AM tomorrow; I'd take her into the vet for an x-ray.

All you need is a dead kitten stuck in there--the infection can very easily kill the poor cat.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Awwww! Don't send any to me. I have plenty. lol

Be careful not to mess with them much at all, Mom may start trying to move them if you do and that won't be good. Our Shadow was a nervous nellie and moved hers every time we blinked.....and they didn't make it. I think the poor things got chilled from so much movement, dunno as I've only recently become a cat person. If your porch door can be locked, I'd lock it and not let Chester anywhere near the porch from now on. If you haven't started already, feeding mommy kitten chow will give the babies a head start to good health.

KTMom91

Congratulations! I don't want any. The senior cats were quite enough but adding in the panther boys...we're stopping with seven.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I have yet to touch the kittens even though I'm DYING to but yes.....waaaaaaaaaaay too young. Momma seems to be doing fine and lets me come near the box and adjust the blankets around it but I don't reach in to pet her...don't want to upset her.

Oh and the final tally?

Five!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, if the mom cat will allow it; it is a good thing to start handling the babies asap. It makes it easier to socialize them later. They are blind and also deaf at this point, but there's nothing wrong with their sense of smell.

Just remember not to disturb them when they are nursing or when mom is caring for them (toileting, etc)

Funny story though hard on the ego: We had one litter that we did early socialization with. All went well until their eyes opened. I went to peer into the kitten box and got seven resounding HISSES in response. I apparently felt OK, smelled OK, but was really UGLEE.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Funny story though hard on the ego: We had one litter that we did early socialization with. All went well until their eyes opened. I went to peer into the kitten box and got seven resounding HISSES in response. I apparently felt OK, smelled OK, but was really UGLEE.

:rofl: :rofl:

Now that would be my luck!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Quatros Catminos. And DF said NOOOO. Not even if one had black toes, pink nose and came to the door waving a $100 bill, neutered, holding his own bag of food under one arm, little box under the other and could sing Yankee Doodle Dandee. (I'm still holding out for a tap dance)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh no Stang!! No no please oh please oh please do NOT let Onyxx know!!! She informed me that if she could have a kitten, she would keep it, food, water, litter box, etc. ALL in her room and we would NEVER have to see it.

That gave me a week's worth of nightmares about unsocialized cats. I told her NO. She has killed 3 hermit crabs, about 15 fish, and a toad - plus an iguana at her mothers - due to neglect. I might be able to ignore those, but not a purrball. Or a pup either.

It's hard enough to get her to empty the cat box... Squirrel was a gift to the kids one Christmas when she was a kitten. However she does not like screaming and slamming things, so she does not like Onyxx at all. Gee, Onyxx BEGGED for us to keep her... Sigh.