We have lost our minds...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
This is just so sad.

Before we fled from N Idaho, it had been over 20 years since a School Prop had been approved for any thing for the SD.
I believe it is still that way.

It was always the same argument, If it was good enough for me, why do they need "new" books, why should teachers make SO much money!, those kids don't need sports in school , computers! I didn't have none of that!... it went on and on.
A lot of times the Props were for School improvements like mold cleanup, heat in the schools and new roofs!!!
SO instead they had to make budget cuts to what else??? Special Education programs.

It made me so sad and sick to here these crusty old timers just complain.
But then complain about the kids hanging out doing drugs and getting into trouble because the drop out rate is so high.

flutterby

Fly away!
EW - The lowest they can give here is a 42 and that just started this year. If they earn a 10, then they should get a 10. I don't understand that at all.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I will respectfully stay off on high horse on this issue. Nonsense. (Not you guys, just the issue at hand. You'd have a novel to read.)

Abbey

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I read the article last night, and had been contemplating. Then this. I actually used the article as a reference in a conversation about this topic this morning. I understand that some kids struggle---my problem is that as a teacher, I am not allowed to give a student less than a 62 for the quarter. The problem with that is that kids have figured out how to work the program to their advantage. They do no work---I have kids with 4's and 10's for an average---and they still get a 62. Then the kids who really struggle to get a 70 have to work to pass---and little johnny skates by for 2 quarters and then manages to sail through.

Not allowed? :surprise: No wonder we have more difficult children than ever before! This whole sense-of-entitlement-make-sure-we-don't-hurt-their-poor-little-feelings thing has gone too far!

Do they at least let you use red pen? (As difficult child 1 put it, an F in green or purple is still an F... And an A in red is still an A...)

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Trying to figure out who is going to be teaching these summer school classes that students are being paid to attend? No teachers, no classes........ no federal funding to students?

DammitJanet

I read a couple of years ago that some state was giving Ipods to kids who did well in school. I cant for the life of me remember where it was. The kids who were interviewed said it was a nice thought but most of them already had them...lol.

I wonder whatever happened to intrinsically wanting to earn grades for the sake of earning them. I dont think there was a darned thing anyone could have done back in high school to make me earn a grade. I was a difficult child and fully capable of straight A's. I actually dumbed myself down and worked hard to fail a few tests so I would fit in with the stoner crowd I ran with. You cant be smart in that crowd. Yes I was stupid back then. Fast forward to college and I worked my tail off to get a 4.0. Nobody had to pay me to get those grades. I did it for my satisfaction. It made me happy. If I made a low grade I was in tears...lol.

TerryJ2

OMG. Sick.
Chocolate just won't do.
I need something stronger.
And those feds need to be shocked with-a 50,000 volt weapon.