We leave today for the rehab place

Mom2oddson

Early this afternoon, we will head out to take Ant to rehab. He got into a place, a very good place from what I hear. Check in time is 8am tomorrow. It's on the other side of the mountains. About a 5 hour trip in good summer weather. Unfortunately, it's not summer...there is snow falling in the pass right now.

I'm already a nervous wreck thinking about going over the pass in the snow. I don't like snow! I don't like it at all. I did get the case of water and a huge box of granola bars in case we get stuck. The chains are already in the car. What I need to do is go refill my anxiety medications before we leave. I know I'll need them.

Ant really wants to go. He got scared yesterday when things started to go wrong. I'm glad they worked out. And with the place being so far away - his friends can't stop by. I like the fact that there is no outside contact for the first 5 days. No cell phones, only a calling card after that. And no computers so no facebook for him. I think it will do him good to have no contact with any of his friends for the 28 days. That should help him out. And the fact that his counselor said that He's ready makes all of this a good thing.

Thanks for you support through all of this.

Nancy

I am sending you all the good thoughts and hope I can muster. This is an important step for him and I pray that he takes in everything that he will learn and be exposed to and commits to making the real changes in his life that will be necessary to maintain sobriety. It is a good thing that he is going so far away, he needs to be sheltered from everything he is leaving behind so he can concentrate on himself and the work he has in front of him. I want him to be one that makes it. He will give the rest of us hope and inspiration.

On a side note, we drove our easy child 8 1/2 hours last January in a blizzard to her student teaching assignment. We had to take two cars to get all her belongings down there and it was the most streessful drive we've ever taken. We had to go through mountains and it was not an easy drive in bad weather. Please go slowly and make sure your cell phone is charged.

Nancy

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm so glad he's going, and I agree that further away is best. Take your time in the snow... and definitely be sure you have a car chager with you for your cell.

hexemaus2

Old hand
What wonderful news! I'm so glad a bed opened up in a more opportune environment for Ant.

I'll keep good thoughts for you guys as you rough the snowy roads. I'm sure that has to be a nail-biting proposition for you. And of course, good thoughts that this is the first of many steps in the right direction for Ant.

witzend

Safe trip and good luck to you all! Just plan to put the chains on at Rhodie. You'll be fine. This sounds like a very hopeful thing.

DDD

As a Floridian I know nothing about winter travel but I do know alot about the mixed emotions that you all are eperiencing.
Your decision is wise. Love and analysis has brought you to this point. Don't be surprised if your emotions rollercoaster at some point. Like many others I got through admissions with my chin up. Two blocks away, after leaving easy child/difficult child, I had to pull off the road and sob for an hour. IF it happens to you...just go with the release of pent up anger, sadness, pain etc.
It will help you in the long run. I am sending caring thoughts and prayers your way. Hugs. DDD