We lost our furbaby at 4am.

Marguerite

What an amazing dog! Aren't labs wonderful with what they can do? We had a black lab cross when I was a baby, I only vaguely remember him but I Do remember I would sit on him, play with his tongue, wiggle his teeth and stick my fingers down his ears. And he would sit there and take it. My mother trusted this dog implicitly. If I was in the playpen on the front porch and my mother had left the yard, nobody who was not a member of the family could set foot inside the gate. Pete would be sitting beside the playpen on guard duty, where I could reach him through the bars.

My brothers would use Pete to fill the woodbox when it was cold, raining or they were just plain lazy. They would sit by the back door and send the dog to the wood pile. He would bring back a piece of wood, they would take it from him and put it in the box then send him back for another.

He was trained to bring in the newspaper. Then one day when he was still a pup, he thought it would be a good idea to bring in LOTS of newspapers. My oldest sister spanked him and made him take them back. After that he only ever brought in our paper.

He died when I was five years old. We had thought he was immune to ticks, but one finally took its toll. We had a terrible time with ticks - lost a lot of sheep, too. It's really hard trying to find a tick in all that fleece! But Pete was unforgettable, like Bubba. I wonder if they're playing together?

Marg

DammitJanet

This is a poem that I always felt was meaningful for the death of my beloved dogs.

My Gift To Jesus

I wish someone had given little Jesus a dog as loyal and loving as mine to sleep by his manger and gaze in His eye and adore Him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood, His own faithful dog would have followed him all through the day, while he preached to the crowds and made the sick well and knelt in the garden to pray.

It is sad to remember that Christ went away to face death alone and apart, with no tender dog to follow
close behind to comfort its Master's heart.

And when Jesus rose on Easter morn, how happy He would have been as His dog kissed His hand and barked its delight, for the One who died for all men!

Well, Lord has a dog now; I just sent Him mine. The old pal so dear to me. And I smile through my tears on this first day alone, knowing they're in eternity.

~Author Unknown~

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sad:

I'm sure Bubba is wearing his halo and wings with pride, 'cept when he's out hunting of course.

It's so hard to lose our furry kids.

(((hugs)))

rejectedmom

Shari, I am so sorry for your loss. Bubba sounds like a very special pet. I recently lost one of my special fur angels to cancer. I am planning a memorial garden that is going to me very very happy in nature. I have bought a wind spinner and made a garden stone. It helped me work through the grief. Maybe your children could do something like this to help them?
Even after that I admit it is still hard for me to get up in the morning and not have her meet me at the bedroom door. -RM

SRL

I'm sorry for your loss, Shari.

When your heart has mended a little, be sure and pick up a copy of "Marley & Me: Life and Love With The World's Worst Dog".