We Might Be Getting Somewhere

B

Bunny

I don't want to get my hopes up, because I thought that the last medication was helping, too, and that turned out not to be the case at all, but it seems like the Risperdal seems to be helping. We're had several instances where something happened to upset difficult child's apple cart and I was preparing for the screaming meltdown, and...nothing! I'm not saying that he wasn't upset about it, but he could TALK to me.

Last night was a great example. We were supposed to go to visit my friend today as we never saw her for Christmas, but I've been sick since New Year's Eve and called her and cancelled. He was disappointed that we were not going (mostly because he knows that she has a Christmas present for him, I think) and kept going on and on about how he's mad that we're not going and that I ruined his weekend. I told him that I was relly sorry he was disappointed, but that I'm not happy that I don't feel well and if I had my way I would be well and we would be going. He kept telling me that same thing and I told him that he really needed to leave me alone because him repeating the same thing over and over (that I ruined his weekend because we're not going) was really only making me angry and making a sick mother angry is really not the best idea. He actually walked away, but before he did he made sure that I knew that if we were not going to go he was never going to eat or drink anything ever again. Well, dear, that's your decision, now isn't it? About a half hour later he came back down to me and asked me that if didn;t go to see my friend would we at least have KFC for dinner instead since we made tonight take out night. I told him that that was a doable request and I would speak to his father about it. Then he went and had some left over spaghetti that was in the fridge. So much for never eating again.

Yes, it would be nice if we could get to end of the issue without any drama whatsoever, but I think that fact that he's not screaming and melting down every time he does not get his way is a good beginning. I just hope that it lasts.

Pam

H

HaoZi

I'm glad it seems to be working for him, and if it is working properly you'll see more improvement over time. Just keep a close eye out for other changes, too. And they eat like nobody's business on this stuff.

B

Bunny

Actually, difficult child eats like nobody's business anyway. You would never know it by looking at him, though. My mom used to call him a "long, tall drink of water."

Pam

H

HaoZi

It'll change I wager. Seems those medications mostly put the weight on around the waistline for some reason. Maybe the same reason that it can affect their cholesterol.

smallworld

The atypical antipsychotics can actually cause metabolic changes, including changes in cholesterol and glucose levels, separate from the weight gain. That's why it's important to have periodic blood work while kids are taking APs. My kids have blood work every 6 months per their psychiatrists.

susiestar

Roll With It
This sounds like the way risperdal helped Wiz also. It really can do amazing things. I can remember the first time in about 3 years that I was able to go to the bathroom alone when husband was not home to watch the kids. LOL, sort of. Before the risperdal worked we couldn't even leave Wiz alone with Jess long enough to go to the bathroom. If husband wasn't home I had to take Jess in with me (he took Wiz in with him if I wasn't home) so that she wasn't cut or bruised when I got out. I couldn't even have her on the other side of the bathroom door safely, she actually had to be in with me. Talk about annoying!!

Why is it that kids think we will get upset if they don't eat or drink? Unless they actually go to the extent that Jena's difficult child is at, I never CARED. I once made an entire dinner of difficult child's favorites and happily told him I only made enough for husband, Jess and I because he said he was NOT NOT NOT eating. It didn't even last long enough for me to take a bite - and of course I had enough for him in the other room. For some reason kids think threatening not to eat will get to us - I always thought it was silly.

Risperdal will change how they eat. Many kids crave carbs and are ravenously hungry even after eating a large amount. It can be problematic, and is soemthing to watch for. I hope this positive trend lasts though!

Marguerite

As I said before, difficult child 1 went form having a six-pack chest to a beer keg belly, in his first six months on risperdal. When we stopped it a couple of years later, the weight came off and now he's scrawny and wiry again.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Glad he didn't have a meltdown! Sounds like he still gets stuck on things, so definitely let your psychiatrist know about what you've observed -- both the good and the still-needs-improvement. Fine-tuning medications can take a long time, but it's worth the patience and persistence. You'll get there eventually!