We must be difficult child magnets...

KTMom91

One of our new neighbors happened to be out walking when Hubby took the dog out, and he came up and knocked on the door, asking for advice on what he should do with his life. The guy says his name is Jason, and Jason and Hubby have been conversing about life in general for the last 20 minutes.

And then we have D. D lives in our garage.

And my bff B; who had the stroke, is a major difficult child. So is her husband. They live just down the street from us now.

And Miss KT.

InsaneCdn

So, then, its one of two things...

1) HE is the difficult child magnet, or

2) YOU are!

Of course, I'm NOT going to tell you which one I'm voting for.

(in our house... there's enough GFGness to go around, that we have no idea who attracts these people... unless its the dogs)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ehh...

Honestly? I just think the world is over flowing with difficult children. I have a theory they tend to gravitate toward people they sense can "understand" the way they are.

For instance, your average person when Jason knocked on the door and asked what he should do with his life would've closed the door in his face believing him to be more than a tad off his nut. I mean, sure he's a neighbor, but "normal" people don't do such things to complete strangers. That your husband is still talking to him some 20 mins later....... lol

I think it's our response to them, either in subtle body language or whatever, that draws them to us.

Like for me, gfgdom is fairly normal. difficult children in my family out number the "normal" members probably 8-1 at least. (gfgdom has a tendency to perpetuate itself) Which is why I was perfectly comfortable working in a psychiatric unit on and off for a few years. Which is why I always dealt well with the hospital patients that had mental illness dxes. To me they weren't really any different from anyone else any more than someone with epilepsy or diabetes is. Know what I mean??

Nichole's bff told me once that she loved coming over to our house because we accepted her for herself. In truth the kid just *thought* she was a difficult child, instead she was the "normal" one in an entire clan of difficult children. ugh But she's turned out just fine.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I agree with Lisa, our world is full of difficult children and we naturally gravitate towards one another. Because, believe it or not, for US, it's within our comfort zone-we know how to handle the difficult children of the world (well some of them). And they are attracted to us, often without being able to pinpoint the attracting trait. It could be in our eyes, filled with understanding or knowing. It could be our body language, ready to embrace. It could be in our smile or empathetic voice.

This goes both ways-we may not be open to tolerating another difficult child in our life and we show this by closing ourselves off with clipped responses (or no response at all), averting our eyes, and/or holding a grim expression, thus, making ourselves, through facial expressions and body language unapproachable.

I encounter people of all ages all over the place I'd probably classify as a difficult child. H thinks I have an invitation on my forehead! easy child is always asking me, "why do strangers always come up to and start telling you their life story...and why do you talk to them?!" lol.

I guess it's our cross to bear for being the very special parents/guardians of very special difficult children?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I tend to attract them. For someone who is fairly "normal"... Apparently they are moths, and I am a 5-million-watt bulb.

keista

I noticed this phenomena years ago. When I connected with husband it seemed to grow exponentially. Now that he's gone, I'm back to my "normal" level of attraction. I'm learning to keep an arms length when meeting new ppl so I don't get sucked into their drama.

One thing I do know is that ppl are not magnets. With magnets, opposite poles attract. With ppl, like minds attract. The whole "opposites attract" is very superficial. Pulling off all the 'opposites' of a couple, you'll find that they are truly similar at the core. (more often than not, of course. There are always exceptions)

DammitJanet

LOL..tony and I are as opposite as they come. I call him my country bumpkin. Do you know the song Livin' Our Love Song by Jason Michael Carroll? Thats us.

I swear, he loves fishing, hunting, camping, everything nature related. He likes shoot'em up movies. Car chase movies. Sci fi. The only thing he likes to read is comic books and National Geographic and that is because he can look at the pictures. He loves stupid comedy shows, cartoons, the Simpsons, History Channel, all the outdoor channels, and stuff like that.

Me...I was born and bred a city girl. My idea of camping is staying at the Motel 6 instead of the Hampton Inn. I do like to swim but only in a pool and he only likes a river or the ocean. Me, Im not going there! I adore reading and can read books as fast as I can eat...or I used to be able to. I love inner cities and even suburbs. He cant breathe unless there is wide open space around him. I love chick flicks, murder mysteries, cooking shows, hgtv, and just about anything except what he likes...lol.

It seems the only things we do agree on is Football and Nascar but even on those two subjects I am the bigger fan.

He also cannot be still for long and I have to be now. It drives him batty to be kept inside with me. He pushes me to try to get out more but it is now next to impossible and the longer he is home the more he is getting the picture.

How we have stayed together this long is a true mystery...maybe we should put it on TV and try to solve it!

flutterby

Fly away!
I know what you mean. I swear, I don't stand outside the mental health clinic looking for friends.

Most of my animals are difficult child's, too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I digress.......

My bumper sticker would say (had I ever peeled it) because it was a gift ......

WHAT AM I? FLYPAPER FOR FREAKS?

nuf sed.

DammitJanet

Several years ago, they swore they were going to change my name on here to Motel 6 because I couldnt turn anyone away. My light was always on.