Wearing me down

Wiped Out

Staff member
Such a frustrating weekend here due to difficult child. He has been in a demanding and ornery mood. He flies off the handle at the least little thing. If he doesn't want to hear something he'll just scream at me to shut up. He tells me how much he hates me and in the next breath is begging me to play a game with him. He doesn't give difficult child or me a moment's rest.

I'm at the point where I seldom feel like doing something with him. I usually make myself play(not right after he has been a pita) and about 2/3 of the time regret it. He is just constantly is making noise and doing things to bother husband and myself. Of course, he is also getting on easy child/difficult child's nerves and then a lot of yelling between the two of them ensues.

husband and I managed to have some fun despite difficult child. We tag teamed naps this weekend and today went for a walk in the arboretum. Unfortunately we brought difficult child along who wanted to leave a few minutes after we arrived. At one point he started trying to walk on my heels. We stayed about 1/2 hour and will go back next week with-o difficult child (the colors here are beautiful right now). Then we took him for ice cream (husband really wanted some) and as we left he immediately stops bothering us about getting more food.

I know I'm rambling here; I'm just so worn down by difficult child right now. He always wants us to be doing something with him. He really needs some friends but just doesn't have any.

O.k., enough of my vent; he just has me so exhausted.

L

Liahona

He sounds really exhausting. Is there anyway you can get him to stay in his room for awhile just so you can get a break?

lovelyboy

I know exactly what you mean.....Our weekends usually goes like yours! There was a time that my difficult child would have a major 1-1.5 hour meltdown EVERY Sunday morning!!!! It became so bad that we couldnt go out alone, because we couldnt leave him with any one....and if we went out together he would make it unpleasant, because everything had to go his way!
The neuro started my son on VERY low dosage of Risperdal.....0.25 ml per night.....and things are going a bit better now! :) His anxiety is less, so he is less clingy....and his tollerence and flexibility towards unknown changing situations is better!
We also started using a timer, so an activity with me or hubby has a definite beginning and end, usually 30 minutes! And we also started drawing up a timetable for weekends and helping him to understand what will happen, when....This helped a bit.....
Hope next weekend is better for you!

llamafarm

Yup. I know the feeling too. Unfortunately for us difficult child is already medicated and we are trying to get him off abilify to move on to the next thing. We have decided on respite one night of the weekend so we can still have a weekend where the rest of us get a break for a little while. It takes the stress off and allows us to rejuvenate a little.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Liahona-Rarely will he do anything independently. Once in a while he will stay in his room for 10 minutes or so but usually he wants to be wherever we are. They are working with him in therapy to get him to do things independently. Right now they say 5 minutes is about the max.

Lovelyboy- My difficult child still has major meltdowns but not as often, it's just the constant talking, verbal explosiveness along with posturing, and constantly asking for things, food, etc...

Llamafarm-Yeah-we are medicating too (have been since he was 4). I love that you have respite once a week. We used to get a weekend a month but don't have any now. However, we will still go out with-o him for a couple of hours but he will call us constantly.

B

Bunny

I know the feeling!! Our difficult child can be just like that when he's in that kind of mood.

buddy

Ugg a common theme! Q suddenly gets so demanding and rude at some point nearly daily and no answer is right. So if I just say something non-commital he says he is gonna "severely get" me (but hasn't ...his usual threats ) so I now say it seems like you want to argue right now so I'm all done talking about this. I will talk about other things though ...have to say that or he freaks out saying I'm ignoring him....HUGE trigger. The mental gymnastics to stay a step ahead of a meltdown is exhausting.

You are so great and I love that husband and you find ways to take a moment out. Any way to resume respite?