Weather Check In

susiestar

Roll With It
OK is having severe winter weather - freezing rain and snow today, more for tomorrow. Not sure if school is closed but thank you will likely be home because our road is very slippery.

We are fine. Got to store today - fear of white death from the sky meant theyw ere out of a LOT, but they had what we needed.

check in and let us know if you are ok?

T

TeDo

It's just beginning to snow here. So far no wind, just slightly below zero temps. Snow is very wet and sticky. Roads will be "interesting". This snow is supposed to last through Tuesday noon. Supposed to get up to 9 inches by the time it's done. I just REALLY hope the winds don't pick up. That would be disastrous. We are supposed to FINALLY see our new psychiatrist Tuesday. It's 40 miles from here and am hoping we are able to get there. With all that's going on with difficult child at school, we NEED to get there.

Stay safe everyone.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This one is supposed to miss us. Well we're supposed to get snow but I don't think much. Although it's been bitterly cold the last few days. brrr

DammitJanet

We are under a winter storm warning. This is a biggie for down here...twice in such a short time. Supposedly snow, sleet and freezing rain are heading our way to be here by 4am and basically the state is shutting down. Of course, we will warm up again fairly quickly to where we can clean up so hopefully it doesnt last too long. I dont mind a bit of snow but that darned ice and sleet is bad. I dont like losing power but I do have a fireplace and we have some of those compressed logs for emergencies. We bought two cases last year...lol.

We sent the monkey home because her other grandma actually has a wood burning stove so she will be plenty warm.

Marguerite

I wish we could send you some of our spare firewood.

The floods here - they've moved down to the north of NSW, plus more rain is forecast there. The ground is already waterlogged so all the rain that falls will add to the floods. This is where my relatives will be affected. The Northern Rivers are now on flood watch, and evacuations are beginning there.

It's not going to affect us here - our river system is too close to the sea, it drains too fast. it's the big inland rivers that are flooding now.

Stay safe, all of you, in the snow storms. One day I want to see such a storm, but from the safety of a warm indoors! You can still count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times I have seen snow falling.

Marg

DammitJanet

This isnt going to be a big snow storm, its more ice...and really it isnt looking like a major biggie but what its gonna to do us is that it is impacting Tony working because he takes all back roads to his location and they will not get cleared. From what it looks like he will not work today because it is supposed to start right around sixish. They would be on the road. If it gets bad, they could get stuck half way home and no one would pay for them to stay out of town. Weather says Tuesday should also have freezing roads so its possible they wont go then either but that could be just having them leave a bit later after the sun comes up...maybe. Who knows.

donna723

We have several inches of snow already and we're supposed to get a second snow storm coming after this one. So far though, it's not bad at all. It's not big snow flakes, it's so fine that you can't really even see it coming down, very dry and powdery and no ice. I went out before and just swept it off the porch and the steps. And it's not supposed to get warm enough where it could melt and then refreeze in to ice on the road. So far, so good. And you have no idea how happy I am that I don't have to worry about driving that 30+ miles in to work any more! I can just sit here in my living room and watch it snow!

DammitJanet

Its snowing here already. Tony is ticked because this could cause him to lose so much work. He doesnt get paid when he doesnt work. This is another reason why it is stupid that they dont have them put up at a motel where they work. They are driving 2.5 hours each way to work each day ...thats 5 hours on top of a 10 hour day. If they were in the motel, he could get there this morning and probably work today because they are working inside.

I think its idiotic to drive 5 hours a day and not get paid for it!

LittleDudesMom

Originally we were supposed to get hit pretty hard. But the forecast has change and we are going to get a little mix of light snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain. Not suppose to hit our area until tomorrow around sunrise and run through the day.

Keep safe everyone.

Sharon

Fran

Former desparate mom
Nothing here in Raleigh at this time but we know it's coming. The skies are ominous. The schools are letting students out a couple of hours early today. We aren't expecting too much accumulation of snow but freezing rain will be a problem.
husband's flight from Atlanta to Mississippi was cancelled on Saturday. He is going via Chicago. Doesn't that sound back wards?
I hit the grocery store at 6:30 after dropping husband at the airport. It was pretty quiet but it's done and out of the way.

muttmeister

Obviously we didn't have to worry about the big storm coming up from the south that is getting you all but there is another one coming from the north and west. We got 2 inches Saturday night and about another 6 to 8 inches last night and we may get a couple of more today. Schools are closed so granddaughter is home with me.
Yesterday I went out to scoop my driveway and somebody had stolen my snow shovel, right out of my garage.:angrygirl:We didn't go to church yesterday so I wouldn't have to drive in the muck but then I had to go to the store to get a new snow shovel. I'd better not find out who took it or it may be a new part of their anatomy.

DammitJanet

I dont think I would know where to go to buy a snow shovel...lol.

Fran, you might start getting hit or we might be saving it all for us!

They were calling for my area to "only" get an inch or so before it changed over to sleet/icy rain. Well...we are still waiting for that to happen. We have at least 5 to 6 inches of the white, fluffy stuff on the ground with no sleet or ice yet.

We're supposed to get from 6" - 12", followed by freezing rain, etc. Tonight and tomorrow are supposed to be cold but dry. Tuesday night all of the "fun" is supposed to begin... (I'm already dreading school being canceled, lol...) Then again, living in New England this forecast is subject to change a zillion times between now and tomorrow night...

For everyone already in the storm's path or who is going to be in it, STAY SAFE!!! SFR

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I work on a military installation and they sent out a weather alert for "heavy snow... 1-4 inches".

To me, heavy is 12 inches or more.

We shall see. Supposed to hit here after midnight. It's finals week for Onyxx, so I am sure she's praying for a "calamity day". What she doesn't get is - our district only has one more before they start extending the school year.

I figure - with the number of kids around here whose parents work at this base - if they close more than one district, they should close the base. (There are only 5 "close" districts - really, 4.)

But what do I know?!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I work on a military installation and they sent out a weather alert for "heavy snow... 1-4 inches".

I figure - with the number of kids around here whose parents work at this base - if they close more than one district, they should close the base. (There are only 5 "close" districts - really, 4.)

But what do I know?!

Step--

I would think there would be a lot of "flak" for closing a military base due to snow....

That can't look good from a PR perspective, can it?
I mean, lot at all the trouble when the football game was re-scheduled for the blizzard?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We've had more people not here due to snow, and more automobile injuries, than I can count. See, they will put us on a delay if the base isn't cleared - surface streets are not in their purview. The 16th of December - we were not even on a delay - but there was no chance whatsoever of me getting to work. When I slid off and husband then used the Ford F-250, in 4WD, to try and get me to the end of my street and HE slid off (military driving training for him)... We decided it was safer, if not financially desirable, for me to stay home.

susiestar

Roll With It
husband was able to make it in to his job at the college bookstore today. thank you did not go to school. It is getting worse, which is a big part of why I kept thank you home. I wouldn't have a wya to pick him up because husband has the car. They just dismissed, an hour early (or so a friend says) and are on the "snow route" so the bus drivers don't do the entire route. thank you would have well over a mile to walk - most of it on streets that cars go about 55 on (speed limit is 40 but..... and no one here slows down a lot because most have SUVs, trucks or 4wheel drive and think it means they are invincible. So NO WAY did I want my 11yo walking on slick, icy gravel in sleet or freezing rain for over a mile. School is fine with it because we live on a gravel road outside the city limits. If you live inside the city limits and keep your kid home because the weather they send a truant officer for your kid. Is it any wonder there is a spike in "the flu" on icy days?

Here snow is not a big deal by itself. Ice is our big problem. Most years we get a couple of ice storms that can turn teeny twigs into ice 1/2-1 inch in diameter. I am talking SKINNY little twigs. So that is what we are all watching/waiting to see.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Good for keeping him home. That's hardly a safe way to take kids home! Over a mile on higher-speed roads. Grr.

The one winter I was in Tulsa with XH - was the "worst winter in 20 years". Mid December, 20" of snow, plus ice, and 7 degrees. In Ohio - Mom called and said they were cold, it was 17 degrees. And green.

Around here, they seem to worry about the people north of I-70 - but lately, it's the ones 20 miles south of it, and down to Cincinnati...