Weather Check In

JJJ

Sorry, this is my fault. Whenever I have to go see Kanga at her Residential Treatment Center (RTC), God unleashes some major weather on us. husband says I should take it as a sign lol.

DammitJanet

I find it kind of ironic that we have been hit rather hard twice since my Dad died. I am thinking of it has a present from him since he knows how much I love snow...lol. It is rather odd that my little corner of NC is getting more snow than any other part of NC...lol. Now, if it would just all clear up nicely in the next few hours...lol.

H

HaoZi

Sorry, this is my fault. Whenever I have to go see Kanga at her Residential Treatment Center (RTC), God unleashes some major weather on us. husband says I should take it as a sign lol.

Don't feel bad, my first wedding was met with Hurricane Opal, my second one had a tornado wipe out the park we intended to have it at a few days before AND his father had several heart attacks during and after the wedding that he didn't inform anyone about! Hence me feeling Katrina was nature's way of telling me to move inland, where we are now expecting 4-5" of snow. Meh.

And Janet, if they're not sold out Wal-Mart should have the shovels if you really want one. If not in-store, then order it online. But if you have a leaf blower you might be able to use it to clear the walks, lol.

Marguerite

We had a documentary on Aussie TV a year ago, on ice storms. Wow! I've seen photos and they were beautiful, but I hadn't realised the dangers. And the damage. When I stop to think about it, of course I get it. But it is so very far out of my personal experience.

Stay safe, all of you. I'd be keeping my difficult children home too, to minimise their panic. There's always plenty of academic stuff for them to do at home!

Marg

H

HaoZi

Ice storms are nasty. We had a bad one here a few years ago, and it coated the power lines so heavily that lines were coming down and overloading the system when it tried to re-route and you could hear the transformers on the poles POP and several of them caught fire. I was in the middle of calling one in and watching it when the one right near me went and dropped the power line on the ground a few feet in front of me. Yeah, I'll pay more attention next time!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. I spoke too soon. They've changed our forecast of course. This one will hit us too.........and although I haven't caught the weather report............sister in law who works at cincy airport tells me they're expecting 6 plus inches. He's taking his massive 4 wheel drive truck (this thing will drive through practically anything) to work. That alone tells me TONS. sister in law's truck is a gas hog, he won't even consider driving it to work for anything less than a major storm, just too expensive.

I'm on my way over there now to watch the boys until easy child gets home from work. I've given husband orders to get up early and go get Rowdy at least 3 bays of straw. Been much to cold for a very old dog outside and easy child has yet to find my spare crate to bring him inside. His unemployment has been approved and he gets his check in the morning. (yeah doing the happy dance as the last 5 wks worth of checks comes thursday!)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Stay safe during this storm-doesn't sound good. Strange winter here-we have barely any snow on the ground-it all melted right before the new year. We don't have any predictions for any storms in the near future (knocking on wood).

Stay warm and safe. I hope everyone went to the store and is stocked up. I'm hoping for a lot of snow here in south Jersey. I just love a snow day! It's supposed to start tomorrow evening, they aren't sure how much yet, so I guess we'll see.

T

TeDo

It's STILL snowing here pretty heavily. I am so thankful there isn't any wind ....yet. We need to get to the new psychiatrist tomorrow that is 45 miles from here. Keep your fingers crossed. So far, 6 inches and climbing. We now officially have 42 inches on the ground. When we shovel, we have to throw it up over our shoulders and hope it doesn't cascade back down. And to think it is only the beginning of January. Yuck!

H

HaoZi

Hope your travel is safe and uneventful TeDo! Snow hasn't started here yet, I think our warning starts at 4am, supposed to be 4-6" now, but more of a steady all-day thing to get to those amounts, so hopefully the plows can keep up pretty steady and school doesn't get canceled.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It finally started snowing here (was supposed to be right after midnight, but...)

I can see the runway from the hall outside my office, it's pure white. At least 1/4" in the last 20 minutes.

Sigh.

Marg - Marg's Man - please keep us posted, you may be safe but we still worry!!!

busywend

TM - doesn't it feel weird NOT to be the ones buried in snow????

I am sure ours is coming today though.

Stay safe everyone!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Snowing like crazy here and has been since I got up around 9ish...........road in front of the house is solid white........perhaps 3 inches. Don't even hear a plow and haven't since I woke up. Says alot. They must be attempting to keep the very main streets in town clear because those are actually the highways that pass through town. Don't know if it started last night or not........I forgot to look. lol

jal

We will be getting dumped on tonight. They are calling for 10-18 inches statewide for us. Work is closed tomorrow! Yea! A rare adult snow day!

slsh

member since 1999
Snow and cold here - nothing new.

I wanted to share a comic from this past weekend's paper. My beloved father, who lives in Arkansas and is happy to be avoiding the worst of winter weather, takes an inordinate amount of joy at my intense dislike of all things winter related, and he forwarded it to me, bless his little heart. :rofl:

"The extended forecast calls for seemingly endless weeks of bitter cold, snow, slush, and road salt, followed by a brief summer, and then another bleak, frigid winter front will push back in with lots of wet, snowy...."

The Duplex by Glenn McCoy

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Kinda feeling left out here! LOL -- It's gonna be sunny all week, although it's chilly and windy -- daytime temps don't get much over 60 (I know, we're wimps). I don't mind the lower temps, but when we get 20mph winds or higher, it really makes things feel worse than they are.

Hope everyone stays safe, warm, and dry!

DammitJanet

GCV...we are pretty wimpy down here too. I was saying something to Tony yesterday about folks in the upper northern mid-west and Canada getting so cold in the minus zero temps...and he just busted out laughing at me. He had never heard temps referred to as minus zero. I guess if you have never lived where it gets minus zero you wouldnt...lol.

We dont get snow here every year. People at the beaches are really having a blast. It is a rare thing to be able to walk the beach and see it snow. I know it happened one time when I lived there.

Of course, this all means we dont really have the equipment the northern states do though it seems to me we seem to do almost as well. I always thought we were "wimpier" and couldnt handle things as well as our states to the north but when I hear that 6 inches upsets other states too, I dont feel quite as bad for us. One year we got 18 to 20 inches and we were swamped for well over a week but then last year it took Difficult Child and MD over a week to dig out too. I think we get out easier because we tend to warm up!

All of our plows and trucks are out but they cant get the side roads cleared. We have well over an inch of ice on the ground on top of at least 5 inches of snow. My 50+ pound pit isnt even sinking into the snow. So far we havent lost power...TG.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad you haven't lost power Janet. I have no issue with snow, except that I hate hate hate to lose power in the winter. Although I'm far more prepared for it than my kids. Nichole is far more prepared than easy child........imagine. lol

We're at about 5 inches and it's still snowing hard. Side streets are being ignored and I still have yet to hear a snow plow. easy child does said the very main streets aren't bad and husband was able to get a few odds and ends we needed and Rowdy some badly needed straw for his kennel. Glad we're not dealing with ice.

It's Tuesday night and no sign of snow here, I'm sad. Saturday we had 8 inches and life went on as normal on Sunday. We were supposed to have snow, but it's just rain at 8:40pm. I need a snow day!!!!! Please, do a naked chicken dance or something for me, I REALLY need a day off from work. I know we make it up in June, but I'd rather do it then! Meanwhile, easy child went out at 8, I know he has homework but he was thinking "snow day" as well. Anyway, please pray for a snow day.