Wedding Etiquite

Marguerite

Just a thought, on the reception - we saved on money for a photographer by asking a friend to do it. We also didn't want posed shots (apart from one outside the church) because we wanted the day to be recorded as it was, not for the day to be organised to suit what the photographer wanted it to be. So the only posed photos were the very few we asked for. As a result, the photos are more natural, not 'posed'.

But something I've seen done several times now - a disposable camera on each table at the reception, with a note to use the camera to take whatever photos we thought would be good - photos from the point of view of our table. So we took photos of each other, photos of the next table while they took photos of us, plus our photos of the bride and groom from our vantage point and when they mingled in our direction.
The bridal couple then got all the cameras developed, and the photos they got were a true and accurate records of the wedding reception. Again, cheaper than a photographer, and more fun (because they were in the wedding with us, not off somewhere getting hours of photos taken).
The bloke who was our photographer - he was the husband of the maid of honour, so he would have been on his own anyway as he wasn't in the bridal party (not his scene). And at their wedding, the reception carried on mostly in their absence because the photographer had them in the next room with a string of wedding guests all lining up to have their photos taken with the bride and groom. It was interminable, they missed a good two thirds of their own wedding reception because it seemed EVERYBODY felt they should have their photo taken with the bride and groom. They were tired, they were on their feet, their cheeks were cramping from constant smiling, AND THEY WERE MISSING THEIR OWN WEDDING RECEPTION! AND paying for the privilege.
I remembered a cousin going through the same thing, and I also remembered wedding parties I'd been in, where I'd been fed up with all the folderol over getting the photos done. A tweak of a dress here; a curl pinned back in place there; flowers needing to be turned a little more to the left; oh dear, someone blinked let's do it again; and so on. Ghastly.

So put the money saved on not having a photographer, into the cash reserves the couple needs.

Marg

Jo - - I like the idea of having a bag and carrying it around. To be quite honest, I understand that there is a distant relative from out of state coming, who is known for being somewhat of a thief - - - great!

Abbey - - Darn it, I didn't get a chance to get back online from home last night to look at your links. I promise I will look tonight - and thank you!!

Janet - - I am going to use your idea for the baby shower. That is the cutest thing and sounds simple to do. Thank you for the idea.

Marg - - We definitely will be putting disposable cameras on the table, as it cuts down on the photographer by so much. We will probably have another photographer too, but with the least amount of time at the event to save money.

It's funny, but even easy child mentioned that weddings cost a lot and even considered making it "simple" so they could take the balance of the money from our budge for a bigger wedding, and put it in the bank, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. Oh, well.

Lothlorien

Some money saving tips on weddings...

1) The hall usually has fake flower arrangements for the tables

2) Bride can have a real flower bouquet, but have the bridesmaids made from silks, or just carry a single rose.

3) Some halls will include a wedding cake with the hall rental. You have to chose from their selection, but it saves hundreds.

4) Friday night weddings are cheaper.

5) Buffets are cheaper than sit down dinners. Or even a brunch wedding.

6) Instead of open bar, offer wine and beer. (We have open bar here...I know that is not traditional elsewhere in the country)

Marg's Man

This whole thread reminds me of a comic strip in 'MAD' magazine 30-35 years ago.

Here's the scene: dad discovers daughter and boyfriend descending the ladder as they elope. He takes them aside and (clearly) says not to run away, he will put on a wedding for them. They get into the planning and as he realises just how money he is up for.
The final panel of the comic shows a dejected father coming up to the happy couple carrying the ladder!!!

Whoever drew it was a genius he told this whole story in just 4 or 5 panels with no text at all. I have often been reminded of it when I have attended the many weddings Marg and I go to, she has told you some of the stories.

With easy child 2/difficult child 2 now engaged I am in the position of that father! We have alraedy talked a little. We are determined that our daughters' weddings will be ones they can enjoy. The heck with whether we are doing the 'right' thing.

Marg's Man
PS I think it was Don Martin, Marg thinks it was Sergio Aragones. Anyone else remember it?