Weddings etc

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
husband and I have been invited to a few wedding recently and other functions. My question is how do you decide on a gift/money/just card?

This perplexes me. We are not able to do much for anyone as we live paycheck to paycheck. We are finally attending some of these things yet I don't want to do something we really can't afford but is just a card enough?

Ahh well just curious how you all decide what you will do.

Beth

F

flutterbee

I haven't been to a wedding in ages, but I don't think you should break the bank for a gift.

Depending on your relationship with the bride and/or groom, a card and maybe some money ($20)...or maybe a gift card to the place they are registered.

I don't know...just some thoughts on what I would consider if I were in your position.

goldenguru

I personally always buy a wedding gift. I have been married almost 25 years. I couldn't tell you (if my very life depended on it) who gave what monetary gifts. But, I have a few precious wedding gifts left that I cherish.

I also think you can watch sales ... uses coupons ... and get more bang for your buck.

I have been to two weddings this summer. For one couple I bought a really nifty retro clock for their home from Bed-Bath-Beyond. It was under $30.00. For the other couple I bought a really beautiful candle/centerpiece. It was on sale ... I filled it with candles that matched her colors in the living room.

Lothlorien

I think it depends on the area that you live and the type of bash they are giving. Typically around here, weddings at formal places run between $125.00 and $175.00 per person. husband and I at least like to pay for our dinners, so we will give somewhere between $200. and $300. as a gift. But, that's typical for this area. I'm sure that probably seems ostentatious to some. I've rarely been to a wedding, here, where gifts were given, other than money.

I've been to a wedding in Colorado, where the bride and groom got a lot of personal wedding gifts. I've also been to wedings in other areas where gifts were given. My aunt lives in Florida. She gives about $50.00 when she goes to a wedding.

I really think it just depends on where you live and how much you can afford. Typically, brides and grooms are just happy to have you there to celebrate the day and the gift is not all that important. I never went back to the list and compared what people gave and if they gave or didn't. I had a friend who gave $25.00 at our wedding. I was happy that he came. I didn't care if he gave anything at all. I happened to remember his small contribution, because it meant more than some of the larger amounts. He was going through a bad divorce and didn't have much money.

Perhaps you should ask some of your friends where you live what is typical.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I DJ more weddings than I'd like to admit. Granted...most of these people are coming from out of town to Vegas so they've already made a huge investment. I don't see a lot of gift giving anymore. I think the bride and groom are just happy to have friends and family attend.

Personally, I would be happy with your attendance and a nice card. They know you've already invested to just get there.

Abbey

skeeter

I always think something handmade is appreciated. When I was married the first time, I got china (that we use once a year) and other things, but the gifts that meant the most were the hand made breadboard from a neighbor, or the afgan from my mom's friend, or the handmade basket from a friend.

When my son was married, they got a lot of "stuff" - most of which they won't have the need for or use for years. What they didn't get was things such as cleaning supplies. Kitchen towels and dish rags. Light bulbs (they got lamps, but what good is a lamp without a light bulb?!) Hangers - they had no hangers! My son's friends got him a huge, stand up tool box!
Anyway, I've decided from now on, if the couple are new to "setting up house" - I'm going to give them either a gift pack with cleaning stuff and all the little odds and ends you don't think of, or gift certificates to someplace like Home Depot or Walmart so they can get their own.

I'm with Skeeter!

Homemade, or things that are not thought of. For one of my friends I bought a bunch of Christmas tree lights! That of course depends on whose wedding it is.

Gift registries can help or hurt. I have one cousin who was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. When she married a few years ago, she registered at TIFFANY'S. I was like, you have GOT to be kidding me. EVERYTHING was out of my price range, and she is extremely pretentious. She does not appreciate the time and effort it would have taken me to make her something.

I did not attend the wedding.