Wee has to go to family court

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Susie, I'm betting you nailed something with the training...tho I stayed so focused on the principal that I didn't think about the others. But after that second restraint, it became so important for that school to get ALL of Wee's people that CPI training....which includes restraint training....I'll bet one of those aids wasn't certified.
Now to figure out how to find out who it was...and I have a suspiscion it was the other male para...the one that got yanked that very first incident....

H

HaoZi

I've been following this thread, and I know how small towns can be, good and bad and you may have to take it to state levels or higher to get it out the immediate area and have a judge that doesn't know everyone involved., so if you go the all out court route ask about a change of venue to another county and/or be prepared for an appeal battle. That's the only advice I can really toss in here, mostly I wanted to let you know you have my support.

klmno

Shari, at this stage in the game that court will probably focus as much on you as it does Wee and the sd. And chances are very high that the court is going to assume the sd is right. There is no way I'd walk in there without an attny if I were you. Can you get that Special Education attny to get involved just for this ourt proceeding or if he won't, maybe he can recommend another attny who will. I have a feeling that what you were worried about resulting from the county team may now end up as a court order, at least in part.

slsh

member since 1999
Shari - I may be naive, but I'm not terribly sure I would be sweating this too much. OK, well, first off, yes, another person here who is beyond livid at the garbage the SD is pulling. These people are quite frankly out of their minds. Court for a 7-year-old spitting? Utterly ridiculous.

But - again... court for a 7-year-old spitting? You have volumes of documentation at this point of the SD's complete incompetence. I think they have shown a well-established pattern over the past year and a half of doing their darndest to *not* educate Wee. This is yet another example of it, Shari. And now they've moved it to another forum, one where they have absolutely no control. I guess I see this as an opportunity for you guys. I would take the opportunity to lay out for the record all the interventions you have personally obtained for Wee, and all the interventions you have requested from the SD that they have failed to implement until the last couple of weeks. Personally, I think worst case scenario is judge will tell Wee not to do it again (which I don't honestly see happening). More than likely, the pattern of SD's failure to provide supports is going to result in judge throwing it out on the face of things or, best case scenario, ream the SD for wasting the court's time when they're not doing their job in the first place. I absolutely *do* think family court is the place to air this, Shari. I think bottom line, Wee (the 7-year-old who has been used as a ping-pong ball by this SD) is going to be the court's priority and I can't imagine the court is going to look too kindly on a SD who is, in my humble opinion, so emotionally abusive.

I also think this *very* strongly boosts your case for retaliation, which is always a bear and a half to prove. How many other students have they gotten referred to family court for spitting? I guarantee you, Wee isn't the first to spit, but I'd bet my morning coffee he's the first in the district to be hauled off to court for it.

I'd keep it cool with Wee. Just tell him that he needs to just tell the judge what happened. I'd also make *darn* sure that *NO ONE* (aka principal) from the SD discusses this with him at all.

In general, I agree with- klmno - sped laws are for kids whose parents can afford attorneys to force SDs to comply. The rest of us are out here slaying dragons with toothpicks (Who? Me? Bitter? LOL). But I do think there are some exceptions to that rule, where the SDs bag of tricks is so disgusting and their failure to provide FAPE is so horrific, sometimes the fates smile down on those families and change will come about. Shari, you bent over backwards for so doggone long - I remember reading some of your first posts and wondering how on earth you managed to keep your cool, how you could keep going back, incident after incident after incident, and try to be "nice". I have to wonder now if it wasn't part of the grand plan in a cosmic sense - the SD has abused the concept of teamwork, has abused the law, and you have at all times, Shari, done your best to advocate for your son within the constraints of their game playing. The SD has a lot to answer for, and you have retained your integrity and shown good faith every step of the way. They haven't, and it's well documented.

The pattern is what is key, Shari. They've done everything they can in their power to not educate him. It really feels to me like when their atty got on their cases, tried to get them to toe the legal line, they switched strategies and now are using the courts to try to intimidate you and Wee and again get out of educating him. I hate to be a negative Nellie - but I do not think they're going to stop. I think it's time to get a top-notch (and I mean a well-known sped powerhouse) atty in your corner.

Hugs, hon. And many hugs to Wee. And may the bluebird of happiness ... pay a visit to the SD.:devil:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmm.

Didn't you speak to the local police after the original incident?

I agree with all - get an attorney - and if you win - the SD will have to pay them. You can request that. Just - get one, right away.

Give them the police officer's name that you spoke with. He/she can be subpoenaed.

But I agree with so many others - SD will NOT back down - not if they're going this route. I'm so livid about this it's not even funny. It was one thing last year when 14-y/o Onyxx BIT a teacher. But SPITTING? Oh come ON.

DDD

Wish I could offer come brilliant solution. We, too, live in a small community and things are definitely not handled well with the good ole boys running things. I do agree that you should be prepared to present a consise summary of efforts you have made and be prepared to "present" well. Emotions don't help and the more professional your appearance the better chance you'll have for getting support. I had to do a presentation in Court last year and I know from experience that it is difficult to keep the controlled tone in your voice when inside you are screaming! Very sadly I agree with those who believe that justice has a heck of a price tag attached. Sending hugs. DDD

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shari--

I am furious, too...
and I have absolutely no idea what to say...or what advice I could possibly give.

I just wanted to add my support...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
It really feels to me like when their atty got on their cases, tried to get them to toe the legal line, they switched strategies and now are using the courts to try to intimidate you and Wee and again get out of educating him

That's the way I feel. It was almost like they're trying to get around what he tells them, too. "I cant suspend him? I'll report him!" They "have to do something" when he acts up.

JJJ

Shari --

I couldn't sleep last night worrying about Wee. You must be so stressed. I hope the judge lays into the school district - this is beyond ridiculous!!!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shari--

At this point, I really think you should alert not only the media - but national groups that advocate for education rights and the rights of children with disabilities. This court case strikes me as the type of thing the national news wires would go beserk over. "School Disctrict takes 7 year old Special Education student to Court"

LittleDudesMom

Shari,

I actually agree with Sue. I can't help but seeing this an opportunity to shine the magnifying glass on your school system in the bright sunlight! They have not control in the court system. It is beyond their scope of influence. Were you to begin your dissertation to the judge with "their original method of coping with Wee was to place him in a dark broom closet" the courts ears would definitely be on alert. I believe you have an opportunity to show that Wee has not been either treated fairly or adequately educated within this system.

If, like klmno says, the court wishes to shine the light on you, you have older children who have been successfully parented - you have a history of being a quality parent.

Insofar as Wee's participation and knowledge of this court deal, play it down. He is a 7 year old boy with multiple disabilities. He is not a teenager with a history of petty crime and school avoidance. This is a child who wants to go to school and who wants to do right. Tell Wee that judge is someone who tries to help people. This judge meets in a big room (and naturally this is a closed courtroom because of his age) and you and some folks from school will be. He is going to try and help the school make sure Wee is learning. The judge might ask him some questions about things that have happened at school and home. Tell him he needs to look at the judge and answers his questions as best he can. If he doesn't understand a question he can tell the judge that. I would do my best to make sure he understands beforehand that he is not in trouble. You don't want him to have any anxiety or fear about this.

I am thinking that Wee will not be present the whole time? Perhaps someone trusted can go with you so that Wee has someone to sit outside the room with if you are getting down to some disturbing talk. If that is not a given, I would request it from the judge. There is no reason a 7-year old has to be present when the school district is presenting their case. There's a pretty good chance they will paint themselves with gold and Wee with brown.

Lots of hugs. Prepare, prepare, prepare, prepare, prepare, prepare....

Sharon

mstang67chic

Going Green
I"m coming in late on this but....I'm with Slsh. I know you're sick over this and scared as hell to go to court but....with all of your documentation, records, files, notes, etc. I think court is exactly where you need to be. It's high time that the school was publicly flogged and I think this situation has the potential to make it happen. Good thoughts, fingers crossed, hugs and good juju all around. When are you supposed to go?

klmno

Shari, what did the attny you talked to yesterday say? Have you ever checked into (even googled) if your state identifies some youngsters as "at-risk" and if so, what are they looking for (future sd issues, criminal potential, possible future MH placement, etc) and what procedures they take if a child is so identified at a young age. I'm thinking if they don't have this, or if it's only for possible future criminal activity, it will give you a better foot in court and leave a better chance that the sd ends up looking like fools.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
LDM, I had actually thought of taking myself to some school board meetings, and taking photos of my other kids, introducing myself, etc. While it is a small town and I'm sure they all know all about me, they don't know me. I'm not a great people person, but I think putting a family behind Wee and I might be good. The thought of doing the same in court didn't even occur to me! And it might even be more effective in a court, because of both of the big boys' "rest of the stories"... I hadn't even thought of that.
And a photo of that closet would be priceless.
We are supposed to go right before TG, but I have requested a time change to avoid him having to miss another day of school for this. I haven't heard back yet. And then, of course, if the SRO get anything accomplished as far as just dropping it. Not banking on it, but hoping.
Best I can find, K, is at risk in this state is defined mostly as underprivelaged, impoverished children. I can't find any actualy definition, but I find lots of programs for at risk youth, and all of them list their requirements to be considered at-risk as low income, one parent, etc. Which is partly why Wee doesn't qualify for the only services he's not getting thru the county agency...he has to be on medicaid to get the other supports, and he's not.
Am meeting the attorney on Monday. Spoke briefly with him as he was heading to court Friday. He'll take the case and knows our family. Gave him an overview, but not enough for him to give feedback. Will let you know monday!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Then, when this is over us Warrior Moms will march on your school. Should we bring pitchforks?

Somehow, I totally missed this! lol

Sure, why not!

I told husband, actually, that in 10-15 years when this is all behind us (at least the school part), I might just file myself the most frivilous lawsuit I can think of...and name pretty boy, bad para, and this principal, and really bad montessori teacher in the suit. I'll just come up with every ridiculous thing I can possibly think of, file it, let them jump thru some hoops for a week, then drop it. I think that would be satisfying. (ok, I'm sure I won't do it...but its fun to think about).