Wee is now the proud owner of

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Want a cat to go with the rat? And I have a dog with BAT ears... (Um, warning. The Cat is Fat.)

I am so in a weird mood. I think it was the chicken's fault.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Lol Step! Chickens do that sometimes...

He named her Rodent. Lol

He does take decent care of his pets. Needs reminding sometimes, but hey, he's 9 with delays. He almost always feeds the cats without being told. He's worried about the cats getting the rat. The jack russel is my biggest concern...

Star*

call 911........call 911
You need TWO.

RAT FYI -

They are highly social and do TONS better if there are two. No I'm not kidding I love rats.

They can not have pine of any kind for their bedding. The urishol oils will kill them.

They need a place to hide - sew them a hammock or tie a baby blanket up high or use shower hooks and attach to the corners of her cage.

They WILL use a litter box - again - NO scented litter.

They LOVE LOVE LOVE - Yogurt berry Yogurt drops, and White or Cheddar hulless puffs.

They LOVE LOVE LOVE frozen peas - once a week -

They can have a made up diet of cheerios, sunflower, safflower, and other mixed grains in addition to rat food. (which is expensive)

They need things to chew for their teeth -

They need a WODENT wheel - solid wheel for running exercise.

If she can get her NOSE through it - SHE can get her body through it. DO NOT think if her body is fat she won't fit - they can discombobulate themselves and fit UNDER a door, through a tiny hole....and they are EXCELLENT climbers.

They ENJOY water and she will appreciate a bath once a week or so - in the tub - tempid water. I had one that loved to swim so much we used to just fill the tub and he was like Mark Spitz....

I LOVE THE NAME - ADORATBLE.

CONG =rat-ULATIONS.

Oh and we taught our girls (much much brighter than the boys ) to do tricks - tie a piece of string on her cage and a piece of popcorn on the other end. Show her that if she pulls it up? She will get a treat - just once - and within one time or maybe two? She'll figure out that if she pulls the string up (like a fisherman pulling in a trot line) she'll get a treat. They are incredible creatures.

muttmeister

Congratulations - rats make great pets. I second the idea that you need two. We had Spot and Spike for awhile and then we had some others. They are fun and SMART and usually very affectionate once they get to know you.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yipes. She is on pine bedding. The package says it's for rats tho! Ok so it's midnight...do I need to change it right now? Or can it wait til morning? And what should I use instead?

Babysitter has had rats for years but they are in a huge cage...maybe that's why hers are ok on pine?

KTMom91

Bud basically ignored Cadence rat unless she was running in her bubble, then he had to examine the bubble. I had trouble with the panther boys, when they were little, trying to jump on the cage, but a few well-placed swats on black furry tails cured them of that PDQ.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
So far, only the jack russel cares. He has it out now sitting on the floor in the living room. The other dog and cats went to sleep. The jack is locked in the bedroom. Lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pine bedding causes tumors. It won't kill them overnight or even in a week - it just makes it difficult for them to breath - smells very good to us - and awful for them. Kinda like GLADE overload.

It will say okay for rats on the pkg. because mfgs. (my thought) want to sell it. In the litter box we used Yesterdays news - unscented. They put out a lot of BOGO and coupons.

In the cage we always bought white - UGH (brain poof) white what was it ? You have to go to Petsmart and other specialty stores to get it - even hay is better than pine. Drat my brain. Maybe Flutter can tell you - I'm drawing a blank I'll check and get back to ya.

Star*

call 911........call 911
ASPEN.

It says a lot of people still use pine. I did with my girls for about 3 weeks. Noodles had a huge tumor later in her life and her sister Jwi did not, and we had to put her to sleep. I'll never know if it was the bedding or just tumor prone. Carefresh is another good product and of course papertowels without ink - and just shredded paper - without ink is always good.

flutterby

Fly away!
Cedar is really bad, too, and it will say ok for rats. We use Aspen - get a HUGE bag (can't think of the weight) at the tractor supply store for $10. With 4 cages, it has lasted over two months already. Carefresh is a good product, but stupidly expensive. We make our own rat food by buying squirrel food at the store and supplementing it. Rat food is also stupidly expensive.

They are social and shouldn't be alone.

TerryJ2

Wow, um, congrats ... I think.:)

So, what color is Rodent?

I sure hope the other animals don't get ahold of him. difficult child has asked repeatedly for a gerbil or hamster and I have said NO. We've got cats and dogs. That critter would last 1.2 seconds.

Best of luck. (P.S. How much do you like this babysitter?)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
None of the places in our little town had anything different today...tomorrow I have to go to Big town (lol) and they should have something....I will look for aspen or paper or anything but pine. Thanks for letting me know.

For now, she'll have to be alone...but if Wee sticks with her, we'll get her a friend. She is a sweetie.

And I happen to love this babysitter. I wouldn't take this from pretty much anyone else. lol

flutterby

Fly away!
Go to TSC for Aspen bedding if you have one. You'll get enough bedding to last for a very long time for $10. Remember, no cedar bedding either. It causes respiratory infections in rats.

They also love cereal. difficult child gives hers cheerios and golden grahams. Unsalted peanuts in shells are good, too, but you don't want to give too many because of the fat. When you cut fruits vegetables, give her what you cut off and don't use. Of course, we have 3 that won't eat anything that isn't green, but they've always been weird. We have others that will eat whatever fruit or veggie we give them. But, they shouldn't have citrus. They love cantaloupe.

We use cracker boxes, etc, for them to use as cubbies. And difficult child makes hammocks out of old towels, and hangs them with safety pins in the cage. They chew through anything else (she used to tie them to the cage).

I'm sure you know this stuff, but thought I'd throw it out there. I was so against difficult child getting rats, but now she has 9 (!!!) and they are wonderful pets. It sucks that I have become so allergic because I love to hold them - especially the girls. The boys tend to pee on you a lot more. The cats are funny....they'll stalk the rats and the rats are so not impressed. They lunge toward the cats and the cats run away. LOL I don't trust the dog with them, though. She was bred to hunt small game and I know she'd love a snack if we'd let her.

Steely

Ditto Star - our guinea pig died when we bought cedar bedding. Never was sure why - and like Star I can't remember what I used before - but once we put cedar in there he died within weeks. Poor little thing.