Weight gain. Sooooo upset at myself!

Californiablonde

So since taking Remeron I gained 25 pounds. I used to weigh 125 and wore a size four. Went up to 150 and a size ten. During the summer I went on a diet and excercised my butt off. Lost ten pounds. All I had to lose was 15 more pounds by Christmas time. Well I blew it. Big time. Cheated on Halloween. We had a party here at work with lots of goodies and I indulged. Went to my mom's house later that night to take the kids trick or treating. Had candy at her house. Totally blew off my diet. Was supposed to get back on track and restart my diet the next day. I didn't. I cheated again. And again and again and again. Used the holidays as an excuse. I gained back those ten pounds I lost. And then I gained even more. I have no idea how much. I am too afraid to weigh myself. I don't want to get too discouraged, but I know I gained a lot of weight. One pair of my jeans won't even zip up anymore. And my fat jeans....ugh!

You know about the fat jeans, right? You know, the loosest pair of jeans you own. The pair that you wear when your on your period and bloated or you've just eaten a big mexican dinner and you know you gained a couple of pounds. The fat jeans are loose on you so you wear those when needed. Well I'm wearing my fat jeans now and they are super tight! And no it's not my time of the month. I gained a serious amount of weight. I made some good progress over the summer. Now I went backwards and boy am I ****** off at myself. I made a New Year's resolution to lose all this weight by the next school year. That's eight months till September. I have decided to go on Weight Watcher's when I get my big tax check at the end of the month. I figure if Jessica Simpson can lose 50 pounds on it then surely I can lose it. So until I start with the Weight Watchers I'm doing my own thing. Counting every single calorie. Anybody else trying to lose weight and want a diet buddy? Cause I could sure use some extra support.

InsaneCdn

I have to lose.
But I won't be counting calories OR joining a program... neither works for me.

I'm... swapping calories (less calories in fat, more in veggies and other complex carbs).
And trying to add 5 minutes of activity a week.

We'll see...

Californiablonde

I know Weight Watchers works for me cause I've done it in the past in high school. I was 125 pounds then and thought I was fat (would love to be that weight now!) I ended up going down to 108 pounds. I wanted to lose even more but Weight Watchers told me I was already under my goal weight and they would no longer support me in trying to lose even more weight. That's when I started doing it on my own and went down to 95 pounds. Would never do that again. I was seriously underweight and I looked awful, even though back then I thought I looked good. I will be happy with 125 again. Feeling real discouraged though cause this is the most I've weighed in my entire life. I feel like it's gonna take forever to lose all this weight. Sigh....

DammitJanet

I hate to tell you but you have lots stacked against you. medications make weight gain almost inevitable. That is one reason I wont go anywhere near depakote and lithium.

I saw something recently about eating a mix of good protein, fast carbs and slow carbs. You get to eat everything you like but you have to make sure you eat a combo of fast and slow carbs at each meal. Now if I could just remember what exactly a fast and slow carb is...lol.

InsaneCdn

fast carb = sugar, white bread, highly-refined low-fiber carbs.

slow carb = whole grains, most veggies (carrots and whole fruit/berries are in-between, being sweet but still having fiber), potatoes

Californiablonde

None of my medications are weight gainers so I think I'm good there. They say Paxil can make you gain weight but I've been on and off Paxil for years and never gained. If anything I lost weight. Typically SSRI's make me less hungry. Remeron is the exception. Boy did that medication do a number on me. I'm finally off it now and my need for midnight snacking has gone down considerably. So I have hope I can do this. I am very determined. I am forcing myself to go back on my power walks too. Gonna take my Iphone with me, put on the headphones, and rock out while I'm excercising. I know I can do this. Just wish I didn't stop my diet over the summer and gain so much weight back.

JKF

I used to freak out about my weight but over the years I've found that if I relax and just watch what I eat and not count calories or get super stressed about every little bite I eat my body responds much better. I can't do a "diet" or any programs because subconsciously that makes me more hungry. Try to relax and take it day by day and please love yourself no matter what the number on the scale says!

Californiablonde

This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life so I'm not happy with myself. Being overweight is unacceptable to me. So I will lose the weight. It's not healthy to be overweight and I'm sure that what I weigh now qualifies me for being clinically obese. Totally not right. I can do the diet thing no problem. Have done it in the past successfully so there's nothing standing in my way now.

BusynMember

This isn't your fault. My son gained a ton on Remeron. I'm on Paxil. It starves me if I eat ANY sugar at all. These bipolar medications hoover and are tremendous weight gainers. Unfortunately, it's part of the disorder. I was skinny before my Paroxatene. That will never happen again.

buddy

You have mentioned other changes and I think looking at your diet is a good idea but not from the standpoint of being super thin. Sorry to say but you'll age like the rest of us! LOL. Our metabolism changes. We have to use food differently. You have said you're in a depressed cycle. You've been pretty stressed.

I hope you can focus on.food for healing yourself, feeling healthier. Get a little routine exercise and focus on, making yourself content. At your weight you are not obese. But it's ok to try to eat healthier for sure.

Hugs.......

Jamieh

I can so relate to you! I have gained 25lbs since last year. I just can't seem to motivate myself to lose it. I hate looking in the mirror or pictures. I am uncomfortable. Have you used myfitnesspal.com? You can track all your foods. and it calculates your calories. You can even scan barcodes with- your phone if you download the app :)

InsaneCdn

I used to weigh 125 and wore a size four. Went up to 150 and a size ten
I hope you understand that... for most of us, "size 10" isn't even on the radar.
If I could get DOWN to 150... wow.
And I still wouldn't be a size 10.

Doesn't mean that it isn't as important to you as it is to us - and for the same reasons.
(health and how we feel about ourselves)

DammitJanet

You know what gets me with all this size business...its a farce. They changed the sizes sometime in the 90's I think. Maybe late 80's early 90s.

Does anyone remember anyone wearing a size 0 or 00 in the 60s or 70s? Hell No! They didnt make that size.

I believe the smallest size I ever remember seeing was a size 2 or 3. They had a store called The 5, 7 and 9 store. It was for petite women. Very petite women.

When I was a teen and weighed anywhere between 123 and 128, I wore a size 9 or 12. I bought my jeans at the Levi store and got the boys slim fit size 30/36. I was in heaven when I got down to 123 and wore these really hot size 9 overalls. I got them at The Gap. Now I hear of people who weigh 175 wearing size 12s.

I guarantee you if you bought clothes at a vintage store that had clothes from the 70's, you would not wear the same size that you wear today. They want to make women feel like they are thinner than they are. Who is a 0? The first time I heard a girl tell me she ordered her wedding dress in a size 0, I almost choked. She looked like the size 5 I remembered...lmao.

Californiablonde

I stopped Remeron and now I'm not snacking as much as I used to. I still take Paxil but have been on that for years and actually lost weight on it. The only SSRI I have ever gained weight on is Remeron. Never again.

Californiablonde

Speaking of sizes, I just tried on difficult child's size 14 jeans today and they were tight! No wonder my fat jeans at size ten could barely zip up! They are the same brand of jeans, too. So now I am verrrrry close to being plus sized. I have never been plus sized in my life. I am more than determined now.

DDD

I've gained back all the weight I lost and I'm eating primarily organic and healthy. I am not exercising. Bummer!

Tongue in cheek....I can give you a clue as to an easy way to drop two dress sizes or so in less than 24 hours guaranteed.

Pull out your credit cards/check book and shop at expensive stores. Yep! A size 16 Walmart can be replaced with a size 12 in a New York minute. If you really really shop hard I don't doubt you could be a 10. Oila! DDD

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Yep, Janet - you got that right!

None of my old jeans from highschool would fit me any more - but, I "still wear the same size" because the numbers have changed...Really stupid, if you think about it. It would be nice if they worked on making clothes that would actually fit women of different sizes and body-types, instead of just trying to fit everyone in the same mold and label it a "2".

Californiablonde

Ugh I so totally cheated yesterday. I did great all day then had two big plates of spaghetti. I am so mad! I was fine on Monday and fine yesterday morning and afternoon but cheated at dinner. I can't wait to start weight watchers. I really need the weekly motivation and to be weighed every week so I'm held accountable for myself. So I'm trying again today to do better.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong with spaghetti per se - if you're not gluten intolerant get the whole grain kind and don't use cream sauce, use marinara. Nice and healthy and you don't have to feel guilty about eating it! And if you eat too much, the high fiber content will let you know it - soon. In various ways.