Weird situation.....

N

Nomad

It does not sound "right" to me and you have every right to be concerned.

For one thing, don't think community service for DUI is common, particularly one involving walking a neighbor's dog. It's more like alcohol rehabilitation therapy and possibly community service hours involving DUI awareness/education.

It's hard to say if he is the reason your plants are messed up. It is one possibility.

The police gave you good advice....

Seems you should follow your instincts (good call on seeing how the dog reacted), and steer clear of this guy....consider calling the police if he comes around again.

I'm sorry for this situation...you are right...it sure is weird. AND an alarms system DOES sound like a good idea.

DammitJanet

I forgot about the motion detector lights. When we had problems with the neighbor kid...we put up motion detector lights around the house. Great investment. If anything, even a dog or cat, walks by the light, it goes on.

klmno

I once had a house that had a system similar to what LDM describes. It included a "panic button" in case you were hurt from an accident or felt you were having a heart attach, etc. Additionally, it had a setting for night time or something where the motion detectors were turned on in certain parts of the house but one could walk around the bedroom/bath area without setting the alarm off. That could be useful when kt is home. I didn't have the system put in- the man who lived there before me did it because this is what he did for a living. As far as specials, some companies install at no cost with a contract to have it monitored by them for a certain period of time. Others might charge to install it but mionitor at no cost for a while- similar to cell phone plans.

Another advantage is that even when you don't have it monitored by a company (for a monthly fee), there is an alarm that goes off like a car alarm so the neighbors would hear it and they could call 911. I found that a bennie if things got tight financially.

Lothlorien

Sounds like a creepy guy to me. I'd be careful. If an alarm system makes you more comfortable than by all means get it. You may also want to invest in one of those around the neck alarms (I've fallen and I can't get up type things). This way, if you are outside and he approaches you, you can hit the button, plus it's good in case you do fall and no one is around.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

Loth's suggestion is very good. mother in law had one and if she fell or had any other emergency they would call the appropriate emergency response, plus any family members she had on her list.

I would've worked wonderfully had she ever actually pushed the darn button. ugh! lol

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry you have to worry about this on top of everything else! PLEASE call about an alarm ASAP. If you don't have an alarm and he does break in he could really hurt you or the house. You would never feel the same about living in your home then.

It might also take care of some of the family worries.

Here a person doing community service gets a list of agencies to work with AND who can sign off on their work. It is very complicated because if the right person is not their to sign off on your work. This guys clearly KNOWS how the system works and has targetted you.

You have always been self reliant. It may chafe to have to depend on an alarm company. It is just one more tool to help you be self reliant and safe at the same time. I would say you have been a great neighbor and if this was happening your neighbors would all pitch in to watch out for this person.

take care, take precautions, and be very vigilant. You NEED the alarm system, in my humble opinion, to ensure your safety and kt's safety. He might be watching to get an idea when she is coming home to hurt you both.

Many hugs and wishes for your continued safety. Please don't take unnecessary chances!

crazymama30

Linda, I used to install those help I've fallen and can't get up buttons. Feel free to pm me if you have questions. The company was nationwide, all you need is a landline phone. We had a lady who was a paraplegic and had one. She lived with her sister, and one night someone broke in. They were trying to assault her sister, para pushed her button machine made all sorts of noises and the guy ran off. They never did catch him, but he never did any harm. I would definately get one of those. They are even waterproof and you can/should wear them in the shower!

susiestar

Roll With It
Linda,

Even if you didn't have this person casing your house you should have one of those buttons. With your health problems this might make you safer, take some worry off of the relatives and kids. It is hard to be alone with a parent who is sick, even if you are not a child or a difficult child. Just having to be ready to call 911 if you fall or get hurt is a big load for kt when she is home. It is also something i am sure your relatives are worried about.

Please call very soon to get info about this. get some quotes from a security company asap.

Andy

I don't scare very easy but this would certainly leave me on a guarded edge. I didn't read through all the responses so may be repeating.

You did the right thing to call the police. Since he has had a DUI, they probably have identified him and maybe even confronted him on harrassing you. I am glad the workers were there some of the time to ward him off.

Call the police at everything you find (like the flowers being trampled).

I don't know much about alarm systems but I do think it is a good thing to look into.

Stay safe!!!