Weird - Those "Bad Dreams" were Right on the Money....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
It's the strangest thing....I've been having bad dreams about difficult child. In the dreams, difficult child is having a rage and she is yelling about her "weapons"....as in Where are my weapons? Give me my weapons!

And I have awakened rattled, but kind of angry at myself for having stressful dreams - I mean, life is hard enough without my brain making stuff up to worry about!

And then yesterday, during a cursory bedroom inspection (I was checking to see if difficult child had a certain DVD in her room) - I found matches and throwing knives.

GRRR!!!!! :919Mad:

And now I'm thinking that next time I have a "bad dream" about difficult child - I'm going to take it as a "sign" and investigate!

greenrene

Matches and throwing knives??? That's scary!

Definitely pay attention to your dreams - I've found that mine can really reflect what's going on in my life.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
And this kid SO doesn't get it!

She believes its a great idea to carry a knife for protection....to school. A friend of hers just got expelled after bringing a knife to school - and difficult child got really upset about it....making the argument that, well, the friend WALKS to school, and therefore NEEDS a knife and the school is just being unreasonable.

AARRGGHH!!!!

B

Bunny

I would flip if I found a knife in difficult child's room!

Has she given you any indication as to why her friend would "need" a knife for protection while walking to school? I find that just bizarre.

DaisyFace - This sounds sooooo much like my difficult child it isn't even funny. He has several knives and lighters that he wasn't allowed to have when he lived here. Of course when I confiscated them he bought more. Hard to control that one.

He carries a knife with him all the time, I think. He got suspended last fall for having a knife at school and they are supposed to do random checks on him but they haven't.

He says he carries them for protection because you never know when some random person might attack him. Strange, paranoid. Asking "why" does no good because his answers don't make rational sense to any normal person.

I'm glad you caught her and I'm glad you confiscated them. I'd continue to do random checks to be safe.

HopeRemains

Uh oh! Well, you are not alone in the bad dream dept, anyways. I had a very vivid nightmare the other night that difficult child kept breaking in to our bedroom, despite two locks and an alarm, to stab us to death. It turned into a night terror and kept repeating itself. =/ When I woke up at 3:30 am I was not able to go back to sleep! I felt the same way: Come on, BRAIN, give me a break at least in my dreams!

dstc_99

OMG that is terrifying. I hope you can find a way to ensure that she doesn't bring knives into the home again.

DammitJanet

Throwing knives? I get matches though they are almost impossible to find these days...lol. All my kids have knives but then we live in the boonies. They have had knives forever. I had huge problems with knives and Cory since he was young because when he went to wilderness camp they required him to have a pocket knife to learn to carve things. He learned that carrying a pocket knife was simply a normal thing to do. In fact, until this generation it was normal for boys to carry pocket knives everywhere they went. As soon as they get out of school they can carry them again too everywhere except the courthouse. Well, as long as they are under a certain length.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Janet--

You make a good point...there are knives, and then there are KNIVES. What in the world does a young woman need a throwing knife for? Nothing good, that's for sure...

DammitJanet

Thats what I am trying to figure out. Is she planning on joining the circus? Fair coming to town?

Now I do have to admit I am trying to figure out what you mean by throwing knives...the stars or the actual large knives that you throw at targets or balloons? If they are the stars, then someone may have given them to her at school because they get them from karate places. They tend to be objects of desire of teens that come in waves. My kids actually made them out of tin. Then they threw them at the barn and had contests to see who could hit the center of the bulls-eye

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL I had throwing stars when I was in HS. Also the little sharp things you put in a driveway to kill tires, and a couple butterfly knives. I no longer have any of them... But then, my boyfriend had nunchuks and his friend had sieves (I think that's what they're called). Dunno why we thought it was so cool... However, Onyxx having knives scares the snot out of me. I think the difference is we had no intention of hurting anyone.

TerryJ2

Absolutely. Trust your gut. Good for you.

Sigh. I can just imagine the confrontation. I'm sending calming vibes for all of you.

DammitJanet

Ya know, knives dont have all the glamour when they are actually used for a purpose. Maybe we should invite DF's daughter up here next fall to gut a deer...lol. Doesnt bother my grandchildren a bit.

I thought it would. First time Tony brought a deer home and Keyana was here I thought it would scar her for life. He had to clean it that night or it would go bad so he had no choice but to do it right in the front yard by the front door. And he used her swing set! I tried desperately to keep her inside but she was having none of it. She wanted out. So with great trepidation we let her out. She looked at the deer hanging there upside down from the swing set, asked a few questions and then sat down and instructed Papa to get busy cleaning it! She sat there and watched him do everything. Watched all the blood and guts ....everything. Didnt bother her a bit. This is my little princess child. Go figure.

greenrene

LOL Janet! Back when we lived in KY, my husband hunted a lot... between him and his hunting buddies, there are 6 daughters, none of whom are fazed in the least by the blood and guts. I think I actually have a picture of one of the girls with blood "war paint" on her face!

GOSH how I miss having a freezer full of deer meat!!!!!!!!

(sorry to hijack, DF!)

susiestar

Roll With It
We had constant problems with knives with Wiz. He hid them everywhere including in a hollowed out part of a tree in my parents' back yard. When he couldn't get a knfe or scissors, he would take a stick and rub it against the sidewalk or a big rock to sharpen it. Sadly he often used them to hurt himself and to threaten many others. That s one thing he never came at me with. I think he was aware even then that I would totally freak on him. He used many other things, but never a knife, even after all the threats to cut this or that off/out of me.

He stopped a LOT of that when I told him that it was exactly what hs uncle (gfgbro) did even then, and that gfgbro kept knives in his car at all times and he better be careful or he would end up just exactly like his uncle. Wiz LOATHED AND HATED gfgbro intensely and this was enough to get him to not hide any sharp edge he could find. in my opinion it was probably not a good thing for me to have told him, but when he raged and ranted he would often send me into serous PTSD flashbacks to life at gfgbro's mercy that it was often hard to hold my tongue and I slipped that time.

dreams are the way our subconscious mind deals with things that are bothering us. On some level you recognized the danger signs in difficult child and that is why you had the dream. now you need to figure out what other things she has hidden around. Be sure to check her little bro's room because it is common for teens to tell each other to do this so that if the items are found then the sibling will be in trouble.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
On some level you recognized the danger signs in difficult child and that is why you had the dream. now you need to figure out what other things she has hidden around. Be sure to check her little bro's room because it is common for teens to tell each other to do this so that if the items are found then the sibling will be in trouble.

Luckily, little brother is sick to death of difficult child's koi - and just brings us anything / tells us about the anything he knows.

For now, we have removed the bedroom door and will be stepping up the bedroom inspections.