Welcome Seg

S

seg

Welcome Seg to the Conduct Disorders Site. I found your post within the Angry Son post and set it up so that you can get input from members on your situation. Sometimes a post can get "lost in the shuffle"!

Again, welcome to the crowd - your initial post is below!

Beth

This is my first post on this website, and like many I googled support group for parents with difficult children. My 3yr. old son who will be 4 in August sounds like so many of these children. And like some the behavior is only seen at home. He acts this way with me. my ex(his dad), grandparents, aunts and uncles. They all seem to dismiss it as boys will be boys. But I know in my heart that it is much more. This behavior began about 10 months ago. And I know that his father and I are partially to blame. We split aprox. 9 months ago, I took the boys and moved out to get away from his verbally abusive father. Not more then 1 week later his dad had moved his new girlfriend and her daughters (11 and 13) into his home. My son is very very aggressive at home with family says negative and sometimes very hurtful things. he is constently hittng and kicking his older brother (6 yr). Screaming and exploding that the drop of a dime. It's almost as if someone has tripped a switch in him and he loses it. He throws any object he can get his hands on. But when he is at preschool his teachers tell me he is the most well behaved most helpful child they have?!?!?!?!?!? So he saves it all for when he gets home. He has his 4yr check up the first week of July and I fully intend to bring this up with his dr. I am hoping to find a therapist that will help me work with him in better parenting skills, and how to deal with his anger.

Last edited by a moderator:

SRL

Hi Seg, welcome to our forum.

It's not uncommon for kids to behave differently in home and school settings. It's upsetting and confusing when you're getting all the action, though! Some kids fly their true colors at home, some can keep it together at school and then vent the moment they leave, others may respond to the peer pressure or structure of school better--lots of possible reasons.

I have two book recommendations for you. I'd also suggest reading the threads that are stuck at the top of this board (milestones and adapting The Explosive Child).

What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions by Dr. Douglas Riley

The Explosive Child by Ross Greene