Welcome to new member: Overload

JJJ

Your introduction got lost in the other thread. So here is a thread of your own :)

Ok, this is my first post here but I do relate to where your at . I have a 15 year old bipolar/odd/personality disorder daughter. The only thing that seems to help with her is to give her a choice.I break things down into parts...she will refuse to take her medications so I will not ingauge that issue instead I will ask would you prefere apple juice or water with that as I place her pill in her hand she gets to feel somewhat in control make her decission end of arguement. You have to be creative and try not to actuall force the issue instead try to find a way to make him feel in control. Would yoou like me to heat your towel in the dryer while you shower? Get more then one type of shampoo so you can say (as you turn off the video game) what would you like tonight? Assie or Dove? it seems as long as they get to make a choice they tend to focus on that rather then the fact they are being told what to do. Do not bargen or deal...and most of all do not engauge...they get off on upsetting you , it gives them power and thats what they are after.At time I just have to say what I expect then leave the room to avoid the argument...its no fun to fight with yourself so she tends to stop if she cant get a reaction. It dosent always work but I have found it soooo helpful.The phone is the most important thing to my girl so I use it alot. I do things like If your room is cleaned up in half an hour you can be on the phone while you do the dishes...stupid stuff but it helps.Good luck to you....be strong , it is an on going challenge with no easy answers.