well, here's the word

klmno

There are a couple of advantages but the way all this has been handled is inexcusable and based on that, who on earth can believe what this po says or that he'll back anything up? He could drag his feet another 3 mos and then not release difficult child because things aren't in place but who's fault is it things aren't in place and why does difficult child have to stay incarcerated as a result? The lady at Department of Juvenile Justice said she didn't think difficult child could be held even in detention past his late release date, which she says is in May so I must have been mistaken about difficult child original sentence- it must have been 15-21 mos. Anyway, I'm not so sure that's accurate for difficult child as far as holding him in detention until May because he earned his way to release from incarceration already and that's proven by the fact they had a release date set. The only thing PO ever committed to was something he didn't have authority to order and PO is supposed to be the one stating how long difficult child will be in detention, when visits can happen, on what terms etc. It''s like he just refuses to make any decisions and put them in writing. Instead of them holding PO accountable, they are just finding any way they can to keep difficult child locked up and prevent his release.

I mean, we can't really look forward to working thru "a plan" when we still don't have a plan. We have another placement decision with no set time frame to even start it, much less requirements or time to get thru it.

Actually, a bigger concern is the way it's worded to me- difficult child is going here because the gh placement fell thru and the Department of Juvenile Justice lady said they might need more time to determine another placement. So no one has actually said the intent is for detention reentry then come home. PO won't answer any questions directly.

Last edited:

DDD

There's no doubt that you are right about PO and the ineptitude. Obviously there is no excuse for the way he has handled this...or not handled it. If the official date is May then Department of Juvenile Justice is likely justifying the delay...although it is inappropriate and cruel to have put this week on the table. No doubt about that.

To me it sounds like a stalemate. I'm hoping that difficult child is coping with the uncertainty. Even as an adult easy child I absolutely hate sudden changes in plans when I have to psychiatric myself up or down. The next phone call from him may be critical to his adjustment and I don't envy you trying to find the right words to encourage him to keep his eyes on the long range goal. Hugs DDD

klmno

well, May is still better than an 8 mo long GH. But where does difficult child get placed in May? In 90 days from now, is PO going to have everything in place? See, siimilar to the GH idea- if he was honest about "the plan" from the beginning and forthcoming with things, in writing, any kinks could be resolved before the 11th hour. And since central office has to realize he already did this with the GH idea, I really don;'t understand why they aren't verifying this plan- or at least assign difficult child a new PO.

klmno

IX. AUTHORITY TO RELEASE
1.00 Eligibility for Release on Early Release Date
To be eligible for release at the projected early release date, a resident must (1) complete all
Mandatory Treatment needs (if any), (2) complete all Recommended Treatment needs (if
any), and (3) have been moderate institutional offense free for 30 days and major institutional
offense free for 90 days prior to release.
2.00 Eligibility for Release on Late Release Date
To be eligible for release at the projected late release date, the resident must (1) complete all
Mandatory Treatment needs (if any) and (2) be free of a moderate institutional offense for 30
days and a major institutional offense for 90 days prior to release.
3.00 Director's Authority to Release
The director or his designee may extend or reduce, including, but not limited to, through
the implementation of an Early Release Incentive program or the review and approval of
the release of any resident committed for the offenses of murder or manslaughter or for any
recommitment thereafter, the time a resident remains in direct care if such change would
serve the welfare of the resident, other residents, staff within a juvenile residential facility,
or the public.

OK, difficult child already met and had release approved based on #1; the only thing I can see is that the Director extended his time based on #3. If difficult child is held in local detention and there's no plan in action to return him home at some set time (barring he misbehaves), I think I could get a judge to review the case. They can't hold a kid in a detention center indefinitely and they have no place to send difficult child excxept home and they aren't trying to claim I'm unfit, much less trying to pursue cps or loss of custody/parental rights. I wonder if the detention center has a set policy for this reentry initiative or if PO writes that, too. If PO is supposed to write it, it won't get done without a judge stepping in.

Detention reentry would have been an early release incentive so it just doesn't fit since that's meant to reduce the early release date.

'Early release incentive' means a program the director of the department may implement as a
behavior management tool enabling eligible residents to earn release from direct care prior to
the projected early release date
as established by these Guidelines.

klmno

Oh now I think I've got it. PO couldn't get it heard in court to try to get GH ordered until difficult child is released from Department of Juvenile Justice and back in local jurisdiction.- for the same reason I couldn't get any of it before a judge here- this wasn't the jurisdiction where the crime was committed or the court that sentenced difficult child so until difficult child has actually stepped foot inn this town, the court here has no jurisdiction. The committing court no longer has jurisdiction because there were no pending hearing left, no follow thru in court required, and I no longer live there so difficult child being a minor he technically no longer lives there. PO's telliing me this is to get difficult child back in local jurisdiction but presenting it like it's to get difficult child closer to home- the lady at Department of Juvenile Justice said she wasn't so sure and that's what she was going to verify and get back to me about- this morning- and I still haven't heeard from anyone. This is about still trying to get gh court ordered and PO still misrepresenting things to me. And he doesn't care how long gfgf sits incarcerated in Department of Juvenile Justice or detention while he drags his feet pursuing a court order. pfftt...

I'm going to go regroup now.

Steely

I am so sorry...my computer is down so I have not been able to really keep up with this saga, but I wanted you to know I am thinking about you....I am praying only the best will come from all of this.

DammitJanet

K....I am going to say this with every fiber of my being. It would be in his best interests if he could actually get held until May and be the quietest field mouse on earth in that place. Not get one simple infraction until May. If he does that, he can get out free and clear of everything. No PO at all. They cant touch him because he has completed all requirements and has not committed any offenses within so many days prior to release date. This isnt probation, its parole which is quite a different thing.

klmno

I agree but his original sentence included him remaining on parole supervision after his time incarcerated and I think Department of Juvenile Justice requires it for transittioning, too. I just thought of something else that's going to come up and I think I see now why they are in a tizzy at the Department of Juvenile Justice facility. I need to ask difficult child if he has a copy of the form he signed last week that established his release date for this week. If he goes to detention reentry, the release date has to be changed to the last day he's supposed to be there- at detention- because it's still incarceration. That's why they have to use it as a step down to begin with and that's why the one lady said that wouldn't be able to hold him, even in detention, past mid-May unless he reoffended. I just have an eeery feeling that PO is going to shoot for another out-of-home placement after difficult child completes the detention- if they really do even have a reentry program like that in place right now. At the rate they are going, it could take them to May to figure that out, get it funded, and get difficult child accepted. It can be proven that PO didn't do squat to ensure he could get difficult child placed somewhere, legally, from Nov until this week, and now difficult child is held incarcerated past his release due to that. There will have to be more communication between central off and Department of Juvenile Justice facility- like "what do you want us to change the release date to"? This reentry and parole supervision is supposed to ensure a seamless, smooth transition out of incarceration. If they make this any smoother for us they might as well just keep difficult child there.