Well I Knew It Would Happen Sooner Or Later....

AppleCori

About the child support--

He is only suppose to pay $10 per month.

I can actually file for SSDI dependent child benefits and receive well over $1000 per month. I haven't done it yet, as he has just a couple of months ago gotten approved.

I don't really want any courts involved, as I am not sure they would really have my daughter's best interests at heart. Just not sure. When I was divorcing, my lawyer cautioned me about bringing up his mental problems, as he said the courts (at least in this state) have an obligation to protect the rights of someone with a mental illness (the same goes for a spouse in prison). I could have been obligated to pay for his lawyer if he did not have one (which he did not) in order to ensure his rights were protected.

He agreed to me having full custody and he having no rights to visitation and I agreed to stipulate that there was no abuse (there was) and to accept $10 per month child support.

susiestar

Roll With It
In my area, the court will often order dcfs (dept of children & family services) to assess the situation. They almost universally go with that agency's recommendations. IF you are lucky and ask at the right time, you can get a psychologist to evaluate the child and the parents.

If you are unlucky or cannot afford to pay for the psychologist's assessments, the you have to settle for the DCFS recommendation. That recommendation comes from someone with either a bachelor's degree or who is working on a bachelor's degree. Generally the person has less than a year of experience, often less than 6 months. They often don't stay in the job for even a year so they have no real idea what they are doing. They are paid minimum wage, which is actually less than our McDonald's is paying now. From what I have seen/experienced, decisions about a child's welfare are often made based on who the social worker likes best or who the social worker or her boss know from outside of work and like/dislike, NOT on what is in any way good for the child.

In our area, good parents do all they can to work it out before going to court. The 'standard' custody order is 50%/50% shared parenting with the child never spending more than 2 nights in a row at the same house. Many kids have no clue which parent they are going to that day. Teachers, esp in younger grades, have to have a calendar for each kid to figure out which bus they are supposed to ride on which grade.

BusynMember

In Missouri, at least, 50/50 is the norm unless somehow the father or mother passes on custody and the person who makes the most pays child support. DCFS is not involved. There can be a Guardian Ad Litem and my grandson had one, but she mostly did studies on both parents and a psychologist to assess the relationship of both parents with the child. He had a lot of clout. In the end, since he said both parents love t he child the 50/50 custody split was upheld, but mostly in most states kids stay with one parent for either Monday and Tues (one parent which switches to Wed. and Thurs. for the other parent) and both takes turns with a five day weekend. My son has this split. The other split is week on/week off. I never heard of kids not being allowed overnight for more than one night, not in any state.

However...if one parent has been absent for years, the other parent will get sole custody because of status quo seen as being best for the child, but the other parent will still have to cough up child support. The system is not nice to absent parents.

We found the court system the best. But then my son's ex likes to make trouble and only the courts can keep her in line. She won't listen to non-court agreements.

I don't think you have much to worry about since father has been so absent for so long. You can probably do what you want for your kid and he will never take you to court. If he does, he will lose big.

If you were unmarried, often a DNA test is required in court, and the person who needs the test has to pay for it.

My son's ex sued for her to pay for her attorney and he counter sued.That rarely happens. They both paid for t heir own attorneys. That is the norm, again in most states I BELIEVE.

All in all, would be very costly for an unemployed man, no matter how much SSDI he gets, to afford a court battle. I forgot the lawyer. Without one, you may as well give up and they're not cheap. Never go to court for custody without a family law attorney, even though they charge a lot. Your kid is worth it.

I was very surprised myself, but I feel the court had my grandson's best interests in mind. The courts do not like big changes in the child's life, and your ex would end up with peanuts, if that.

Copabanana

I am writing without experience as a parent in a custody arrangement and without any legal knowledge whatsoever. I was a child in this situation. I was traumatized by a visit from my father after a period of years not seeing him. Anything I write is filtered by that.

From my highly personal perspective, I would urge you to do whatever you can to avoid such a visit.

To see her father might be traumatizing after such a long time. He seems to not be considering the effect on her of his own wishes.

From the child's perspective, if she has to see him, better there not be a meeting alone with him. Be present. Better still, no meeting at all.

My parents divorced when I was 8. When I was 11 or so, my father dropped out of sight to avoid paying child support and left the state where we lived. There was no contact. As far as I knew for most of that time, he was dead.

When I was about 15 or 16 or so he returned to our state. The district attorney had located him and garnished child support from his payroll checks.

One day, I got off the school bus and there he was, with my then 7 year old half brother. I had not seen him or heard from him in nearly 6 years. I had not seen my brother since he was one year old.

I was stunned. My sister, 5 years younger, was getting off her school bus at the same time. To protect her, I told her to run along home.

I went into the car with him. I still feel, now, my horror. He looked different. Dissipated. He was nothing like I had fantasized him to be.

In those 5 or 6 years I had developed. I had a sweater set on. He looked at my bust and said, "You look good, Copa." I remember like it was yesterday. It was about 50 years ago.

My mother wanted child support...but my father went to court to request to be exempt from it...because my mother did not want to allow him visitation. Maybe that is why he showed up out of the blue. We went to court. I remember to this day, talking in chambers with the judge with my sister.

Neither my mother or my father put us first. My mother never really thought about our welfare and how we would be affected, if it cost her anything. She wanted the money, so we went to court. My father, either. He never thought once about the effect on us. He did not want to pay child support. We went to court.

I do not remember who won. Isn't that funny? I only remember that I lost.

Last edited:

Feeling Sad

Copa, I am so sorry that you went through that. Even at such a young age, you still protected your little sister. You still have a heart of gold.

I went throught custody mediation with my first husband. My ex was a Vietnam Nam veteran and had been abusive, physically to me and psychologically to my sons. I had physical custody of them and just asked for the minimum amount of child support and no spousal. I wanted to be free of him.

You are right...you do not want to bring up his mental issues. I fought my late onset schizophrenic sister in court for 3 years because my brother had, without my kniwledge, used the funds from my parents estate and trust. Her attorney told ours...try to mention her health condition and see what happens... My brother caused us to lose $200,000 and an additional $100,000 in attorney fees.

My exhusband's and my attorney came up with an agreement, out of court, to have his sister or mother or my brother along for visits. My sons were afraid of him. My youngest was a baby. That went on for a while. Then he took me to court to see them alone. The older two were 11 and 8. We saw a court appointed mediator. He knew that the older two boys did not want to see him and told they mediator in private.

He wanted the then toddler alone... The mediator granted that the boys did not have to see him...but my youngest did. My older two sons were afraid for their youngest and so were brave and always went along to protect him. They decided this on their own. I felt horrible that they went through this.

He was holding my youngest son and almost got into a fight at a mall. They told me how he was mad that another man took his spot. He drove crazily and then walked over and stuck his face into the other guys car window and threatened to fight him...while holding my youngest son. That wasn't even enough to stop visitations.

Once he told me that they were going out to dinner. He took them out on a long drive into the mountains to look for meteors. My second son was afraid and pretended that he heard something in the bushes so that he would take them back where there we more people. They were gone until after midnight and he would not let them call to tell me they were going to be late. He still had visitations.

I would get a therapist directly involved. If your ex has had no serious issues for a while then he would probably get some visitation. My ex was supposed to see them on Wednesday nights and every other Sunday. He started seeing them more in the beginning just to bother us and show that he could. Then it became less and less and less...

You took a very small amount for child support. In California in court you have to take a legal minimum amount. Your agreement must have been handled out of court.

His child support payment was set according to these set days to visit. The understanding was that he would spend money on them. Quite soon, the visits fizzled out almost completely except for holidays, which I was very happy about.

When my youngest got much older he saw him and now still sees him. He never knew him at his worst.

The court awarded him to have therapy for his anger issues, go to parenting classes, and AA. The boys and myself were mandated to go to counseling. I went to battered women for 2 years on my own accord. I had nightmares that he kidnapped my youngest son.

I know that this did not do any good for my sons to live through my exhusband's violence and temper...especially the eldest...my ill son. I still blame myself. This was another case of my past and numbing out from my childhood. My sister, my ex, and now my ill son have all threatened my life on many occasions.

Get a therapist involved and fight, whether privately or in court, for supervised visits. My ex never was angry or violent when family or other adults were present. He was the perfect gentleman in front of others. Does he or you have famiily members that you would trust on visits? He would probably find this more agreeable than someone who is court appointed...and it's also cheaper.

It was court ordered that the first few visits with my youngest alone, although my other sons would go as well to protect him, were outside of my house on the steps. My youngest was 1 1/2 and did not know him. He did that a few times and then went on short visits out. Then the time away was increased gradually. He was to return them on time. I never saw him. I just looked outside the drapes when he dropped him off. I still never see him.

The judge usually goes along with the mediator's decisions. I never saw a judge. I had a friend who had a very dragged out custody case and the judge would get very angry if they brought up things and bickered. Her ex was a cocaine addict that sold at their house when they were married.

They just want to figure out what is best for your daughter. He has rights...and your daughter needs to be psychologically safe.

My youngest likes his dad today. The others couldn't be bothered. They knew the monster. It was very difficult not to trash my ex to my youngest. I figured that it was best not to turn him against him. My ex was in ongoing therapy. It would only make my son feel badly about himself. Don't get me wrong...i kept very close tabs on thngs. If he had done something bad, we would have gone back to court. My ex was ordered therapy and he was okay with him. My youngest never saw the other side...still hasn't. I just felt scared and sad for my other two sons who went, even in fear, to protect their youngest son.

I found that you could not bring things up that happened in the past. They want the last 6 months on.

I hope that this helped some. The laws are different in each state. There is also free legal advice offered at our courthouse and a law library. You could also see a paralegal to get your rights.

They also have books with do it yourself forms for divorce and I think...visitation. My custody was never challenged or affected, just visitations.

Good luck! Sometimes exhusbands just ask for visits to throw their weight around to prove to you that they can...

Lil

Sorry I'm coming in late to this...I haven't been on here much!

First things first, my standard disclaimer: EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT. So what I know based on the laws of my state may not apply or be dead wrong.

He is only suppose to pay $10 per month.

I can actually file for SSDI dependent child benefits and receive well over $1000 per month. I haven't done it yet, as he has just a couple of months ago gotten approved.

Do this! The money won't have any effect on his income at all and in fact should pay the measly $10 per month he isn't paying. Your child is entitled to it.

I don't really want any courts involved, as I am not sure they would really have my daughter's best interests at heart

If I understand the situation correctly, the Court gave you full custody and he has NO visitation rights. You don't need to do anything but say "No." If he wants visitation rights at this point, he would have to seek to modify the order. That might be done in the state where the order was entered, but more likely under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act, it would have to be brought in the state where you now live, if that's a different state. HE would have the burden of proving that the circumstances have changed and he should be allowed to visit. Now, realistically, Courts prefer to allow visitation and they tend to side with the most reasonable parent. So...if you are going to say no, I'd tell him the truth, that she doesn't have very good memories of him, that it took her a long time to get over the hurt, that she's in a good place and you don't want her hurt again, that him popping back into her life after all this time would upset her and, more importantly, you don't trust him to not just pop back out, so it's a very bad idea and you have to protect her. You might offer a compromise of sending him some recent photos or of maybe him writing her a letter and that you'd see how she reacts to that. Then maybe if letters go well and she's willing, a phone call...but that he is NOT going to just come see her suddenly, no way no how!

If you and he communicate in writing, be sure to be polite and kind, making sure that it is clear that you are not doing this out of any ill will, but because protecting your child is your one and only priority and, while you are glad he's doing well, you feel it would be detrimental to her well being to suddenly have visits from a man she barely recalls.

He's clearly a Difficult Child himself...and his choice to accept no visits so he didn't have to pay support...has consequences.

AppleCori

Hi Lil,
Thanks for your reply.

The agreement was drawn up by my lawyer and signed off on by X. Was approved by the court.

The $10 per month was the minimum in this state at the time. I hear its gone to $30 per month now. At the time he didn't have a job or unemployment, so it was the natural way to go. He mainly wanted the 'no abuse' stipulation. It didn't matter. All I really wanted was full custody and he agreed. Not sure exactly why he agreed, but I was lucky he did. Probably because he didn't have a job at that moment in time and didn't have the $ to spend on a lawyer or child support. He didn't even ask to have any visitation, maybe because he was far away at the time. It really wasn't about him not wanting to pay child support, however. He just couldn't afford it at the time. Soon after, he got a job and paid me the whole amount owed till 18 out of his first check. And he has sent me money throughout the years voluntarily. That's mainly how I know he has a job. I will get a new insurance card for daughter and a check, sometimes regularly. Then it just stops and I know he no longer has a job.

I personally think he was/is so self-absorbed that nothing and no one else factored in for the most part.

He is a Difficult Child, but more like Suzir's son than my step-son.

He has emailed me a couple of times since The Request. I have just been ignoring them all. I hope he gets the hint and doesn't ask again, but I know that I am just putting it off till later down the road.

I tend to put things off and hope they will go away. Sometimes it even works.

On the SSDI, I just need to find out how this will affect my tax situation. That's why I haven't applied yet.