Well...I think it's sold...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
...to the family of the G.F.G. kid.

Yeppers, the enabling parents are waiting for the kid to talk it over with his girlfriend and will most likely make an offer tomorrow.

While the parents were oohing and ahhhing over how cute the place would be once it was fixed up, the 23 year old was literally crawling around on his hands and knees figuring out how best to rewire the entire trailer to turn it into one massive sound system for gaming and home theatre.

(My poor, quiet, retired neighbors).

I called the parents off to one side and told them they might want to have an electrician out before sonny boy embarks upon any ambitious projects as the home still has its original wiring and might not be able to handle the increased load.

They are aware of the roof "issue" (in writing) and have sent in the application paperwork to park mgmt. as of this afternoon.

Meanwhile, I have contacted the local title firm and they are sending the required paperwork to me as it turns out the DMV no longer handles mobile home titles. A different agency now does and requires separate paperwork.

Thomas has been revelling in all the foot traffic through the house the past couple of days. He has appointed himself official "meeter and greeter" and is alternating between impressing people with his regal looks, and making a complete, drooling fool of himself in search of affection.

Squeaky is spending more time than I'd like under the bed.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out, you've had enough suprises.

Do you have good help when it comes time to move?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes. I have help. It's called Allied Van lines or Mayflower Movers, whomever gives me the best quote.

The place is being sold furnished, so there will only be a few small items of furniture to be moved.

I'll be packing up the rest of the stuff myself and the movers will haul it to storage

I'll be staying with friends in Milwaukee until I find an apartment in the suburbs.

I'll then have my stuff delivered to the apartment from the movers' storage depot.

Lil

Congrats! We had a rental mobile home on a rented lot that took us forever to sell. The problem was no one wanted to buy it on a rented lot. We finally got good renters in it and they basically did a rent-to-own. The DAY we got the title back in the mail to give to them, we got a notice from the landlord they were closing the park and they were giving a few months notice to get the trailers moved. I felt terrible.

Not terrible enough to back out. We dodged a bullet!

Scent of Cedar *

I am so pleased for you!

Cedar

Are you planning a ritual for the leave taking? Something to mark this as a time of meaning? I remember when you decided to make this move. That was a time of transition, too.

I love to mark times of transition. We learn so much of the meaning of the thing, for ourselves.

Know that I wish you every good thing in this new life you are creating, Going.

Tanya M

Staff member
Yes. I have help. It's called Allied Van lines or Mayflower Movers, whomever gives me the best quote.

Good.

When hubby and I moved from CO to IL we did it ourselves, 3 long days on the road. Hubby drove the moving truck and I followed in the car. NEVER again!! I will do like you and have professional movers.

BusynMember

Sending lots of good vibes your way.

The kid will find out fast that his retired neighbors do not appreciate his loud sound system, but that will not be your problem.

I hope his parents do it. Maybe they just want him out of the house, like so many who have problem kids who still live at home and can't pay themselves.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When this woman first contacted me, she vented about how much she wants this kid out of her house and how much she and her husband "want their lives back."

I met the kid and he basically seems sullen and morose. Spoke very little, but made eye contact when introduced. I don't think he's on the spectrum, but I did get the feeling that he wasn't anywhere as excited as I would've been at the prospect of a free place to live for my first home on my own.

And, believe me, even before "fixing up", this trailer is a LOT nicer than Stu's and my first place together was. That apartment left me with a life-long phobia about cockroaches that I haven't been able to shake.

There were some things that bothered me. The kid smokes, which is none of my business. (I quit in December and use an e-cig now). He had the decency to not light up in the house, but I had to get on him to pick up his butts while I gave them the tour of the outside of the house to show them defects and good points and to tell them what was what landscaping wise.

My suspicion is that the place, once re-done and set up for gaming, is going to turn into party-central for the 20-something slacker crowd, and as you said, SWOT, the neighbors won't put up with it at all.

I just find the whole thing odd because I was looking at apt ads 6 months before I turned 18, had been working for 4 years by then, and didn't let the door hit me in the rear end when I hit the magic age.

Now, it seems parents are desperately trying to get their kids to leave home. Very different. Of course, I was doing my own laundry and cooking meals and cleaning house long before I moved out. Perhaps that is the difference. I also contributed financially to the household when I started working.

I just wonder if the kid is going to appreciate this place since he's not investing any of his own money or sweat into it. His parents are going to be putting several thousand dollars into this place if they buy it, over and above the purchase price to fix it up and modernize it.

BusynMember

GN, you're wrong. Kids are coming back at 26 because they lost their jobs. But these kids WANT to work and only come back until they can get another job. Some out of college can't find jobs to they stay at home longer while they look, BUT THEY LOOK. They are not these drug users who slack. All my kids did their own laulndry, could cook and clean, etc. Most adult kids do. Some never want to grow up and some mothers and fathers will still do these simple chores for them.

Parents with dangerous/drug using kids want them to leave.

Jumper could live here as long as she wanted to as well as Sonic, but he wanted his own place.

On this forum you are reading about the percentage of adult children who can't seem to get their lives together. The irony is that most "normal?" young adults do want to get independent. It's the druggies without jobs who want Dad and Mom to keep paying for their lives and, of course, no parent wants that. It's disruptive and has to get on your nerves to see a grown kid laying around all day...it's also costly to support an adult child who should at least get a job, if not college, to pay for his own toys.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT, Point well taken. I have a slanted view of things from this board, I am sure.

This kid is a slacker. If his mother were a friend of mine, I'd have told her she was making a huge mistake.

Under the circumstances, I'm glad to take her money, though I am quite certain it won't work out well for the parents.

When I called my elderly next door neighbor to let him know that the place had sold, the first words out of his mouth were, "What color are they?"

::Headdesk::

Tanya M

Staff member
So the optimist in me says that the neighbor could somehow be a good influence on this "slacker". We never know who will cross our path that can have a profound impact on our lives.
Of course the realist in me says it may not go well.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IC, the interesting thing is, he's a good neighbour other than that. He is also 83 years old and other than a tour in the Navy during Vietnam, has lived in this small Northern WI town for his entire life.

he isn't going to change. He takes my garbage out. He insists on shovelling my back stoop and pruning my bushes.

Why? Because I am a "widow lady" and it's not right that I '"don't have a man to take care of me."

His attitudes are those that were prevalent in this town when he was growing up. Sadly, they are still prevalent to some degree today.

Anyway, I did tell him that the trailer would be occupied by a very young couple in their early 20s which meant there might be parties and loud music, to which he said, not a problem, he'd just take out his hearing aids.

I refrained from telling him what color his new neighbors are. Let him sweat a little.

I am a bit concerned about some of my other neighbors. The trailer is located at the very far end of the park and backs on a very large green space. My immediate neighbors are elderly retirees, with some of them being snowbirds who summer in Arizona or Florida. As a result, its very quiet here as compared to other areas in the park.

However, having lived her for 12 years: long enough to have gotten to know these neighbors quite well, I also know that they will not hesitate to call both park management and the local law if there are problems.

And given that other than the constant dealing with meth heads, there isn't that much going on in town other than DUIs, the cops are all over noise complaints and public intoxications, things should remain under control.

They swung by and dropped off the earnest money tonight and I took the sign out of the window and deleted the ad in Craigslist. I'll still be fielding calls for a couple of more days out of the Last issue of the local Free Shopper paper which comes out weekly.

So now, the next phase is packing...Oy! I sold the place partially furnished, but I do have to pack out the kitchen and I am a serious cook with the accoutrements to match.

Then, come first or second week in June, depending on when we close, it's get the movers out here. get the stuff out, and load up cats,, bags and baggage, and off to play room=mate until I can find a place to live (the sooner the better)

Currently, my BFFs and I are arguing about what "paying my fair share" entails. They want me to chip in on utilities and groceries. I want to pay the going rate for a room with kitchen and bath privileges, plus chipping in on food.

They will wind up winning by dint of being older and louder than I am.

They are looking forward to meeting Thomas and Squeaky. Thomas is no problem. He'll be unstrung for a few days, but that's about it. Squeaky on the other hand will be completely freaked out. She doesn't "do" strangers in her own territory, let alone in someone else's

Should be interesting any way you look at it. Between never having been in a "roommate" situation before, and never having lived on anything other than the top floor and therefor never having had people walking around overheaed,this promises to be very interesting.

Scent of Cedar *

Anyway, I did tell him that the trailer would be occupied by a very young couple in their early 20s which meant there might be parties and loud music, to which he said, not a problem, he'd just take out his hearing aids.

I love him.

Why? Because I am a "widow lady" and it's not right that I '"don't have a man to take care of me."

A hero. You have a hero, Going.

I refrained from telling him what color his new neighbors are. Let him sweat a little.

Something tells me he would do very well, whatever color his neighbors are. What a cool plot for a movie. I love the hero part, and it would be really something worth watching, to see suspicions resolved into friendship between the characters as you have described them. (On both sides ~ we need to remember prejudice splatters in every direction and show up in the strangest places.)

Mine does. I am continually surprised at my prejudices. I know enough of the usual suspects though, to realize they feel that exact same way, about me. The first time I was in school, a black lady that I had somehow come to know (this was almost fifty years ago) would come to my apartment. There was no friendship there, but there was such curiosity on both sides.

She wanted to know what white people did when they went home.

I could not get over that the photographs in her room, the ones of her family, were of people who were not white.

I had never seen a photograph of a mom, or a sister or brother, who was not white.

That was the most surprising thing, to me. That this woman's family was black people, too.

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cedar, I remember getting slapped in the face by this shortly after I went to work as an IT contractor for a German company supplying IT services to military bases in Germany.

I was scheduled to meet with a German IT technician in Frankfurt. German name, etc.

I remember wandering around the cafe' across the street from the base for about fifteen minutes, repeatedly walking past this tall, black man in a business suit.

Finally, he walked up to me, stuck out his hand and said, 'Frau xxx?" I'm Herr xxxx".

Same name. I remember being stunned that I couldn't tell he was black by his voice.

My own prejudices slapped me right upside the head at that moment.