Well, I was right and I wish I hadn't been

Marguerite

At least he is getting read to on a daily basis. That is actually really, really good. it also means - we KNOW he's not having language problems due to lack of being talked to/read to.

As for "When do I read his bedtime story?", that is about the same level as "How many dwarves in 'Snow White & the Seven Dwarves'?"

And nobody else would have had to say a thing - surely someone on the forum would have said - "bedtime, duh!"

If the only problem with daughter in law is "she's thick," you wouldn't have this problem. But she's also very insecure and needs to be in control.

All you can do is keep your distance and wait. She is doing something (reading at least once a day) and there is always scope for anyone else to read more to him, especially if you can organise another book for him. If she would permit you to do this.

A friend of mine used to do these sort of books for each of her grandchildren - a sort of life story for each of them, a bit scrap-bookish but beautifully done. And because the stories were about each kid, they loved to read about themselves. She did it for teens as well as for much younger grandbabies. So if you do one for every grandchild, daughter in law can't say you're treating him like a dummy or singling him out. And if you make the book editable (in case daughter in law doesn't like the photo you use of her for the page, "I love my Mommy") then the book can also be added to or updated as his capability increases or his life changes in terms of his experience. For example, I modified difficult child 3's book when he moved from pre-school to Kindergarten. And again when he went into the next grade. So instead of the book saying, "I am in Kindergarten and my teacher is Mrs X," I changed it to "I am in Year 1 and my teacher is Mr K."

If you know she won't accept this, then put this idea on the shelf. Buf if ever the opportunity becomes possible - this really does help. We found difficult child 3 moved from single words to full sentences, once he began having his own story read to him (and he began to read it to himself). The first thing he did was memorise the thing. He would then use the sentences in it as templates for his communication.

Hang in there. I don't think there's anything more you can do for now, unless you think daughter in law would accept any Dr Seuss books from you. Anything with a rhythm to the words can help. "Red fish, blue fish" or "one thumb, two thumb" is good. difficult child 3 also liked "Boy With a Drum". But frankly - anything he will sit still for. And there's no accounting for what kids like!

Marg

BusynMember

Marg,

Thanks for your post.

You got one thing right.

daughter in law controls every aspect of George's life. I can't send him any books. She won't read my books to him. She won't let him wear anything sent to him from my son's side of the family. My son can't read to him. She yells at him that it's not time to read or that it's the wrong book. Her own family, who he is around a lot, is hardly intellectual. So he gets his once a night read.

daughter in law will not allow anyone but herself to do anything with George (well, she's let her sister and mom but neither of them are going to interact with him the way he needs it. He is just sort of there while they are there).

So it's not a good situation, and my son is partly guilty because he won't do anything to alienate her. I told him last night that I can't be the one he complains about his marital problems to because it upsets me too much and because, in spite of how bad it is, he isn't going to leave or stand up for himself. I *didn't* tell him the whole reason...I just said that it's best if he confides in somebody else because I'm too emotionally involved.

Frankly, it's starting to stress me out badly and, since I can't really help in any way, I need him to find somebody else to confide in. I know he doesn't have friends, but this is a great chance for him to force himself to make friends. He does talk to a lot of people at work and has a psychologist.

jbrain

Hi MWM,
I'm glad you told your son you can't be the one he confides in anymore. It would be just way too frustrating for anybody to be put in your position when you can't do anything to change the situation! I am so sorry. You do need to be able to step away so it doesn't eat you alive.
Hugs,
Jane