Well no wonder I've felt bad

'Chelle

Sorry you're sick. :flowers: hmmm didn't we call that the kissing disease in high school when a couple of friends got it LOL. But look at it this way, at least now you know why you've felt bad, and it's something they can cure. Hope you feel better soon.

house of cards

Just what you need, I really think parents of difficult child's should get a pass on all sickness. So unfair, maybe life is trying to teach you to slow down. Anyway, get as much rest as possible, hope you get your strength and energy back quickly.

SRL

This happened to me a few years ago. I rolled my eyes when the doctor said she was going to test for mono and two days later my throat hurt like worse than I ever felt it before. I spent nearly a week in the recliner sipping beverages, eating mashed potatoes, snoozing, and watching movies (I called it my Mononucleosis Film Festival).

The slim good news ( I realize this is grasping here) is that when adults get it it's usually the reactivated form and it's not nearly as serious as when teens get it.

Hang in there, rest up, and I hope you feel better soon because I sure feel your pain.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I can promise there hasn't been much kissing around here this month...lol

And doctor said she thinks I've been thru the worst of it (which would have been why I felt so awful the days of wee difficult child's school meetings and doctor appointment in St Louis...and probably why I knocked off the last of my pain killer from surgery to sleep those nights....)

The good news is, yes, I've lost what I gained over the holidays, and, for what its worth, my house is in no worse shape than it ever is! lol And even tho today is the first day I've felt decent since about Jan 4th, work sent me home til I'm sure I've been fever free for 24 hours (didn't feel good yesterday and they knew it). Not gonna do much, but it is really nice here today. And now I don't feel so bad about being "whiney" lately.

My recliner needs a good cleaining, tho.

Last edited:

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU KNOW THIS MEANS YOU MUST REST!!!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!

RIGHT!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!!

feel better kiddo

Lothlorien

I've had mono. Once you get it, you need to be aware of feeling poorly and make sure you don't get run down or (dare I say it) over-stressed. Epstein Barr is what comes after Mono and I get it repeatedly, tho not so bad, since I know what the symptoms are and I rest before it gets out of control.

Not much you can do but let it run it's course and REST a lot.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
What is Epstein Barr?

You mean once I get "over" the mono, it hangs around like forever??? If that's the case, I'm doomed. (at least life as it was, but that's not all a bad thing...)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Rest, rest, rest. Do not overwork. Do not let yourself get overtired. It takes a longish time for the body to recover from mono, even if you're not currently having symptoms.

((((hugs)))) Look at it this way, it gives you an excuse to be lazy a bit. ;)

Nancy

Shari,

My easy child got mono last spring and yes once you have it you carry it forever and can infect someone else for the first 12 months I think it is. easy child felt miserable. If you haven't gotten the horrible sore throat maybe you won't, but that was just awful.

Rest rest rest!

Nancy

Lothlorien

I don't know anything about it being contagious for 12 months after, but Epstein Barr is basically Mono. Once you get Mono, it's kind of like Chicken Pox, as like when it returns as shingles.

If you get yourself run down, Epstein Barr can run amok and you can actually feel worse than when you had mono. I do get Epstein Barr, but it's fairly mild. As soon as my glands start feeling sore and I feel tired, I know it's coming, so I rest a lot, if I can. I go to bed early...try to take a nap during the day.

I got Mono the week of my wedding. I was obviously run down and stressed, so it really zonked me. I could barely squeek out my vows. My Epstein Barr has never been as bad as that week.

Steely

OMG...........mono. That stinks!!!
Maybe that is what I have.
I feel like walking poo...........

Hugs, I am so sorry.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
A good friend of mine has Epstein-Barr she gets hit pretty bad but she has Thyroid issues also.
So she has to be pretty careful to not let herself get run down or too stressed.
She has learned to manage it over time.
One of those fun viruses that you learn to deal with. I always equated it kind of like me having Bipolar, I have to learn to manage it and control it. Kind of like a lot of fun things in life. (I am still learning!)
Or like migraines, you feel it coming on, you deal with it before it becomes full blown.

Most I think don't get it that bad, I would discuss it with your Doctor and know all of the facts.

Yes REST and take care of yourself... good reason to stay away from *brooms* and heck any cleaning up *messes*.

katya02

Solace
Yes, rest ... and be careful of your liver and spleen. Sounds weird, but they can enlarge while you have active mono and if you have a fall or take a blow they could bleed or rupture. Sorry to be such a source of sweetness and light, just want to urge caution. These things don't usually happen - but if you happen to take martial arts lessons or any type of contact sport, please stay away from them until your doctor gives you a clean bill of health.

All the best and take good care of yourself!

M

ML

You poor thing! Please gets lots of rest and take good care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So sorry you are feeling:ill:.
Be sure to get lots of:sleeping:.
Take your :nurse:.

And follow :doctor: orders.

In no time, you'll be feeling :thumbsup: and ready to :cutie_pie: !

F

flutterbee

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. My son finally had blood drawn today to check for mono because he's been sick (this time) for 4 weeks. They are also checking a complete metabolic panel, CBC and thyroid. There were like 6 tests total.

I had mono a few years ago, but didn't realize until after it was gone that I'd had it. It hurt to turn my neck for a month because of the lymph nodes and I had a feeling of fullness in my left side under my ribs - where the spleen is. And I was soooooo tired. That feeling of fullness in the spleen area took a couple of years to go completely away. It didn't hurt - was just an annoyance.

Rest, rest, rest. Plenty of fluids. Take it easy and do watch physical activities. I'm sorry you have this with having so much else on your plate. Look on the bright side, you can call it a forced vacation from domestic duties. Think husband will buy it?

TerryJ2

Arrrgh! I am so sorry.
Well, at least you've been validated.
I just finished reading about Devon.
Sigh.

Epstein Barr is very similar, but it needs a different test, so never assume that just because one test is negative that the other one will be.
The virus becomes latent in your system. Viruses don't "die," like bacteria. They can be reactivated at any time. Viruses, like cancer, can be stored in test tubes on shelves, dormant, for yrs, and opened and reactivated. Amazing stuff. Scary, too.

Anyway, you needs lots and lots of sleep, and Vit C and echinacea to boost your white count.

I hope you have friends and family who can help out at this time. You really need to write up a schedule of your daily activities and delegate them. You can get over this more quickly if you take care of yourself.
Like Heather said, only more sternly, husband HAS to buy it. It's not like you are making this up.

Oh, you want to stay away from babies and elderly people, since they are most vulnerable to picking up viruses. So I'd get husband to do the grocery shopping or anything else you need in a public place for awhile. It's not THAT contagious, but if you're like I am, you'll feel guilty about every little thing.

Take care.

klmno

Shari, I'm sorry I'm late to this. I'm glad you have an answer, but sorry it's this one. I hope you feel better soon....and yes, rest.