Well, now what?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by threebabygirls, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. threebabygirls

    threebabygirls New Member

    I have been meaning to update for several days now but have not been able to find the time. Recap: took difficult child to see psychiatrist after her passing-ibuprofen-around-on-the-bus incident.
    psychiatrist was less than helpful. He said she needed to be reevaluated, and her teacher needed to fill out a new Conner's, so he could decide where to go from there. I mentioned a neuropsychologist evaluation and he did not know what I was talking about. :mad: As I explained myself, he said what I was looking for was some sort of education evaluation to look for learning disabilities, and that the school district could assist me with that. Um, no. Not what I was talking about.
    As I expected, he brought up medicating her. I got the impression he doesn't quite know what to do with her, so we might as well go with the pharmacological route. He wants to try Concerta, due to her poor attention in school. I don't think that's what she needs. She does not have any hyperactivity, she just can't focus well at school. JUST at school. That is a tiny fraction of her problems. I don't think her popping pills is going to make things better.
    We need help with her inability to express her feelings in a healthy way. Grrrrrrrr.
    so, I guess I'm back in the market for a psychiatrist.
  2. meowbunny

    meowbunny New Member

    Sigh on the psychiatrist. Find the nearest Children's Hospital and find out what they require to get you an appointment for the neuropsychologist evaluation. Then tell the psychiatrist what you need from him and make him do it since he's clueless.

    As to the hyperactivity, she may very well have ADHD. Many girls manifest ADHD differently than boys -- they have difficulty focusing if not interested or if it is too hard, no problems if it keeps their interest; they usually but not always are "motor mouths;" girls are less likely to visibly fidget -- they will wiggle toes or fingers, bounce feet but not be all over the place like boys; they can actually stay in their seats but may be the first ones out the door, sometimes even before the teacher says to go; they listen to an extent but will frequently "zone out" long before someone is done talking; their desks are less likely to be a total disaster, just messy but not impossible.

    Many of our kids have problems either just at home or just at school. Sometimes it is all the stimulus at school, sometimes it is a teacher that doesn't have the time or the patience to deal with a special needs child. Sometimes it is because the child feels the expectations are too high and there is no reason to try to behave/do the work needed because failure will be the end result regardless. At home, a child will frequently act out simply because they know they are safe and will be loved regardless of what they do at home.

    I do agree that just giving any child drugs because it is the easier route makes no sense and should be stopped. Your psychiatrist sounds like he wants the easy route because he can't find an answer. However, getting the school/teacher to redo the questionnaires is not a bad idea. It may give you a guideline.

    Good luck in your search for answers. Sometimes that is the hardest part. Once you have some answers, at least you know what direction you need to go.
  3. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    I'd be afraid of a pediatrician who didn't know what a neuropsychologist was. Is he very old? Jeez. My opinion is to get a referral from somebody who is more up-to-date or schedule one yourself.
    She may have ADHD, but she may have something that just looks like ADHD. Good luck.
  4. totoro

    totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

    I agree with Meowbunny
    There are some great books now that are focused just on Girls with ADHD. It is amazing all of the differences. I think even a lot of doctor's do not realize how many differences and what they are dealing with in terms with many of the issues with girls vs. boys.
    If your psychiatrist is being a PITA you can find a place that you like to get the Nuero-psychiatric and ask for a referral from your pediatrician. also. The psychiatrist does not have to OK it.
    Our pediatrician just set up all of our Neurological and Allergy testing for K because psychiatrist was dragging her feet.
    When K had her Neuro-psychiatric evaluation we did not have a psychiatrist yet, but our pediatrician suggested this one and he was great!
    Sometimes your pediatrician might know of a reputable one if you do not have Children's Hospital around or if they will not take you.
  5. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Trust your instincts. If you don't feel this professional knows what he's doing, you're probably right.

    It does sound as if she needs a multidisciplinary evaluation.

    Just so you know, there are various type of ADHD. Also, ADHD doesn't look the same in girls as in boys. You might want to do some research into girls and ADHD.
  6. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    I suggest finding a Children's hospital and scheduling a multidisciplinary evaluation. Or at the least a neuropsychologist evaluation and a new psychiatrist. It would be a VERY good idea to have her seen by a pediatric neurologist and have an EEG done. (My daughter was thought to have ADHD inattentive type, psychiatrist was all ready to give medications, and we learned she has Absence Epilepsy - she just sort of "blanks out" rather than the stereotypical seizures. The ADHD medications would have made things WORSE.)

    I think asking your pediatrician about a good psychiatrist is an excellent idea, otherwise ask your insurance company.

    But medications because the psychiatrist doesn't know what to do, that seems wrong to me. What would he medicate for??? So many things can look like ADHD.
  7. threebabygirls

    threebabygirls New Member

    Thanks all. It means a lot that there are parents out there, just like me. I have no idea what I'm doing and most days it seems like I can't do this one more day. :( We don't live too far from Penn State Children's hospital, so I think I'm going to start there.
  8. threebabygirls

    threebabygirls New Member

    I did a quick search of Penn State Children's hospital, and found a neuropsychologist specialist whose clinical interests include memory disorders, cognitive disorders, and behavioral disorders. Is that what I'm looking for??
  9. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    Sounds like you've found a good starting point. Hope you're able to make an appointment, get the required testing, etc.

  10. crazymama30

    crazymama30 Active Member

    I know that the children's hospital/teaching hospital here requires an MD referral. If you don't want to get a referral from psychiatrist, you could get one from your pediatrician or family doctor also.