Well so much for hope.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I guess I should clarify that statement...they want wee out of their hair. Here, 1 hour of instruction per day is all they'd have to do. While homebound is not supposed to be a permanent solution to a problem, neither is partial days, but you see what they have done with that... I am afraid if they start him on any kind of homebound services OTHER THAN in addition to hours IN school, that I will have trouble getting rid of that as their next solution to the problem.

klmno

Thata's a good point...I just hate to see them turn another situation around so they can scoot from their responsiblity and inability to educate them "their way".

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
It took me all of about 4 minutes to find their attorney.

I feel really weird about calling him tomorrow, but I think its really the best route to go at this point. At least in an attempt to get any sort of action from them.

I guess I see this probably heading down the due process path. And that stinks.

I hope the cop can be a helpful hand in this.

Marguerite

Go, Shari. Prod buttock (it's more polite than kicking ar$%e). Time to put on the steel-capped boots and get kicking.

And if any people on this site object to this comment of mine (as has happened before) let me make it clear - I do not normally push people to go for the lawyers at ten paces approach, until all other avenues have been thoroughly exhausted. As in this case. Anyone objecting to my comment - please read back over this entire saga of Shari's & Wee's. Read back over the last 18 months or more, THEN ell me there is a better approach and to be gentle on the school, there is always another point of view.

I think, here, it is highly appropriate, NOW, to get kicking. Carefully. Accurately. Without anger.

I think it's ironic that the lawyer you call, is theirs!

Marg

LittleDudesMom

Shari,

the writing is on the wall.....in large fluorescent paint.....it's really been there for two years. They don't want Wee there.

I'm not sure, even with the seemingly productive recent IEP experience, we really, deep down inside, expected anything to change.

Your son is not a lab experiment. Personally, I'm not sure, given the long history of abuse, I would allow my son back in the school building. I know that others may not agree with that, but I can't even fathom what effect the last couple years have had on Wee - from being locked in a broom closet to being threatened with the police at age 7. I would not want my son anywhere near those people. But I have felt like this for over a year.

Another personally motivated suggestion - I wouldn't address suing anyone until Wee gets placed in the neighboring district's alternative school on his home school's dime and your district is providing transportation, paying for a trained 1:1 crises counselor, etc. Then sue their pants off!

Shari, I think you have now drawn your line in the sand. Don't back down. Do what Marg suggests - lace up those steel toe boots and go at it!

Hugs,
Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I know I was going to be shocked if anything really changed. I did allow myself a glimmer of hope after the experiences of the SpEd teacher...but, once again, even if she gets it, and admin refuses to allow her to do her job (as in this case - suspension for behaviors, that at least in part, were from previous days and adults' screw ups) then there is very little sped will be able to do. The difference I was hoping for was a well laid out plan, now, that someone could say "see? you have to do this!" but apparently its not black and white enough for them yet.

I'll be meeting with the advocates today, as well. And even tho the school's attorney is an "enemy" of my advocates, they thought calling him was a great idea.

I told SpEd Dir today that I will not tolerate this again this year. Apparently that wasn't plain enough.

I am happy with the outcome of Tuesday's events (barring the suspension, of course)....yes, the para and music teacher failed Wee, but the the sped teacher understood the situation and put things in place to prevent it from happening again. But the fact remains that the para and music teacher screwed up. The BIP wasn't followed, again, he is being removed from the classroom again, My next step will be complaints and requests for investigations from DESE. I welcome those.

15 days is the cutoff for reporting me for educational neglect. If I don't send him back, which is likely the avenue I will take, I guess I'll be hotlining myself, too.

Better get my dishes done.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I have gotten into so many arguments here (in Tucson) with people because they they quote the "Laws" etc. But the bottom line like Marg said in your other post, the SD's just do what they have to to protect themselves and the other kids. Some care and try, but in the long run most of our kids truly should not be in public schools. The laws are just words on paper, so what? Doesn't mean they truly have to follow them...
Who is going to win this fight in the long run? We get the minimum help yet we fight and fight- for what? Public Schools are just babysitters.
Some are truly good but for the most part they can't and don't want to deal with us.
I don't think you should give up at this point you have come to far, I just wish you had another choice.

I feel this way and we are in a "pretty good" SD.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Met with the advocate briefly. They are in favor of not sending him to school. I'm on the fence simply because he wants to go so bad. Will have to sleep on this one.

The outside agency that is doing the FBA...I finally just called them directly. They have not been in the school and there is no date set yet. We were told on the 3rd that they are ready to come is as soon as Wee starts school.

I did not talk to the attorney, but I do feel strongly that he probably does not know what has taken place, and that he may be able to talk sense to these people...so I had the others make a call. They simply said Wee had been suspended and not everything that was to be in place is in place, that contact is being made to attempt to keep this out of court, and maybe he could just check in with the school.