. Well, The medication Wash Is Over

Janna

Today is 3 weeks. The Lithium is gone. Wellbutrin is gone. He is on the Synthroid still, .75 mcg's I think.

He was on Flonase going in. They decided, without my permission, to change the Flonase to Claritin. The doctor didn't like the steroid. Well, the Claritin (big surprise) stimulated, so back to the Flonase he went.

He's been pretty hyped up here at home. A little hyper at the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF), but they aren't reporting anything terrible. Although here, it's really rough LOL! He's bouncing all over the place.

It's hard for me to tell if he's really hyper off the wall now or if he's just so excited to be home and not being in that so structured environment. You know what I mean? But, everyone agrees, no focus. No attention span. No any of that......

None, nil, nada. Zippo.

So, we're gonna try Dexadrine. That's a new one. I mean, a new one for me, but I guess it's been around a while. I had wanted to try Focalin, but couldn't get with the psychiatrist in enough time to discuss it. Darn it, it's hard with him being in the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF).

Anyway, I think it's 10 mg., twice a day. Anyone have any experience with that one?

I don't know what to expect, but we'll find out. He's home for a long theraputic leave for the holiday ~ this Wed. night to Sun. night.

He did drop 32 pounds total thus far. The enuresis stopped completely. I think the psychiatrist is also hoping in a couple of weeks when they check the thyroid again we may be able to stop the Synthroid, too.

He still needs to see an ENT. And he's still having some type of bowel issue. I think he'll need to see a gaestroenterologist (spelling?). He has his BM's daily. But he still always smells, and he still is always, erm, stained. I dunno why. Blows our minds.

Anyway ~ he's still doing ok. They moved him into the house with the other Autistic kids. Some days he likes it, others not. Some of the boys are lower functioning. Well, most of them, but that's okay. They're calmer kiddos and they all get along much better.

The equine therapist quit :frown: He was bummed, as was I. Hope they find a replacement. He's still in pet, horticultural, art and individual therapies, so we've got that part covered lol.

J

tiredmommy

Thanks for the update Janna. I hope the Dexedrine helps with his hyperness. Fingers crossed that his thyroid bounces back so the synthroid can be nixed too.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Janna,
Hope the Dexedrine helps. That is one medication difficult child never tried. Sorry about the equine therapists-hopefully they can find another one soon.

Janna

No, Sara, didn't know, how long for the Lithium?

That's the only one, really, that was in for a while. Without checking my notes (book is in the van, darn it) ~ Abilify was ended in July. Weaned down to 10 mg. then stopped. Tried Geodon, was only on that about 2 weeks, in July still. Went into the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) on Lithium only (still 1050 mg.) in August. Tried Wellbutrin, darn forget the dose, very small, maybe 100 mg? That the smallest? Anyway, didn't do much, he was on that about 4 weeks - maybe to the end of September, then off.

So, he stayed on the 1050 mg. Lithium alone from the end of September until the middle of October. I'll say maybe the week of the 15th. Then they cut out 600 mg., 2 weeks, then the rest 3 weeks ago.

I'm thinking, 450 mg. for Dylan was never theraputic, though. Does that matter?

How long, really, should he be without? Kinda too late now as I've approved the Dexadrine and they're starting him today LOL! I could call and halt it, but I don't think I want to do that. I'm anxious to see how he does.

J

LittleDudesMom

Janna,

I'm no expert, but I would imagine it takes months for medications to completely wash through the body and the brain to return to "normal".

If Dylan were in a regular school setting, would he be able to succeed without stimulant intervention? I'm not familiar with Dex, but I know there have been difficult children here on it.

I hope his long holiday home goes well :thanksgiving: and the boys are happy to be together. It's great to hear he's doing so well!

Sharon

KateM

My difficult child was on Dexedrine from second grade to seventh grade. It was a good medication for focus and cutting down the impulsivity. The only problem he had was the "rebound effect"-he was super sensitive and easily cried -- when the medication wore off at 4pm.

He's been on Concerta since 8th grade and it has been the best medication for him. Lasts 10 - 12 hours and no rebound.

Enjoy the holiday with your family! Good luck with the medication!

mum2JK&TH

We were in a similar boat as Kate. It was good for the ADHD stuff but it made difficult child more anxious (he already had anxiety) and he would cry at anything.
I hope it works for Dylan :smile:

JJJ

Have you tried eliminating apples and apple products? For Eeyore, the, umm, staining was a reaction to the apples (even though he didn't have a traditional allergy).

Janna,

I'm happy Dylan is still doing ok. I didn't know that Claritin can be a stimulant for some kids. Both of my difficult children take generic Claritin. Both of them get very "hyper". This is something I need to look into. I'm glad you mentioned this.

I know what you mean about kids being "hyper" when off of their usual schedule. I think you're right - It's extremely difficult to know whether Dylan is bouncing all over the place because he is so happy to be home or if it's because he isn't on the schedule that he's on at the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). I don't know anything about Dexadrine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works!!!

It's wonderful that he lost so much weight and the enuresis is gone!!! I hope the bowel problem is resolved ASAP!!! That one has got to be extremely tough to deal with.

I hope Dylan makes friends in the new house they moved him into. I think he might be a positive role model for the boys who are lower functioning then him. And, maybe because the kids are calmer, this will have a positive effect on Dylan. I know difficult child 2 tends to mimic the behavior of those around him.

I hope you and your family have a very happy Thanksgiving. You definitely have much to celebrate with your oldest son home and Dylan doing so well.

Thanks for the update. It's nice to see you here again. WFEN

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well Janna, I hope he finds some calm... I hope you all have a nice week.

He could very be on sensory and stimulant overload, he gets the schedule and nice and comfy at the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) and then no matter how much schedule or structure and love you provide, it is still going to be, a bit stimulating and maybe put him on sensory overload. With the change in his medications, basically NO medications for the first time in how long??? Awesome... but it still has to be very weird for his whole being, you know.

I would imagine, our kids our kind of dull, somewhat. The medications dull the sensory stuff. So they are not on overload all of the time. Now his little mind is free to experience all of these things without the medications getting in the way... good and bad. He needs to be retrained how to deal with transitions I would imagine, the fog has lifted. While this is hopefully all a great thing in many ways, it is most likely different and with new challenges.

I know K now doesn't scream when a dog barks or a plane flies overhead, some of it is slow exposure, but I know some of it is the medications...
I would imagine this is hard on you seeing and dealing with him so hyped up and no focus... remember this is all new to him as well.
A new journey for both of you!!!

Sara PA

I hadn't understood that the lithium was the only thing he had been on except for the allergy medications. How long has he been taking them? Both Flonase (fluticasone propionate, a corticosteroid) and Claritan (loratadine, an antihistamine) can cause, among other psychiatric side effects, mania. Are you sure he isn't having mania induced the Flonase? Remember Jane Pauly's bipolar all started with mania induced by steroids ....and then she crashed.

BusynMember

Hi, Janna :wink:
I 100% agree that any sort of steroid can make you "high and hyper." I experienced that first hand. It was the happiest year of my life--not sure ex would agree it was his...lol. I made a lot of "slap happy" impulsive decisions that often cost money...lol. Even a non-BiPolar (BP) kid can have a weird reaction to medications. I was told (somewhere along the way) that kids on the spectrum are often VERY sensitive to medications and get reactions easily. ADHD inattentiveness is pretty much part of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). My son can attend much better than he used to. ADHD stimulants just made him more hyper, not less. His aide did a good job teaching him how to organize and take notes. Although he isn't stellar in that area, he can now pretty much take care of business in school and home without that sort of step-by-step help. He takes his school tests in the Spec. Ed room so that he can have more breaks than the other kids, and the other kids that are there with him (long time friends) all get snack time, sometimes even movie breaks, so that they can get back to work and focus better. I would make sure that Dylan has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) interventions in place at school. They will benefit him FOR HIS ENTIRE LIFE and in all areas. Lucas is practically mainstreamed now and we never dreamed he could do the level of work he's doing. If ya want, send me a PM. Or call :wink: Now that he has a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified diagnosis, he should get appropriate help without your fighting the schools for it. Have a great Thanksgiving, by the way.