Well THIS is new.

Wiped Out

Staff member
BBK,
Glad you found a neuropsychologist! difficult child is a lot like that. Most of the winter he wore a hoodie to school instead of a winter jacket. We could insist but it would have gotten violent. We are like some of the others-wear it but don't complain. If they don't let you go out to recess don't complain to us. He is one tough little guy he held out a long time. We did have to finally insist when the wind chill was going to be dangerously cold.

Hugs!

Mellie,

Hi and welcome to the board!

I encourage you to start a new post and introduce yourself, as this may get lost in the shuffle. You found a wonderful place with lots of caring moms and dads. Also, in the FAQ section, is a list of acronyms, but don't hesitate to ask someone if something is not clear to you.

Again, welcome!

navineja

BBK,
I found a lot of help for these kind of battles in the book "Parenting With Love and Logic" (if you haven't read it yet). I can't tell you how many times I got pulled into arguments with N or J before reading this ( and they are not even 7 yet). And it is SSOOOO simple to implement. What I really like is that it removes the "punishment"aspect by the parent, so there is really no one for the child to "blame" for the outcome other than themselves. And I am one that was quick to swat, but it really helped me come up with better consequences that have a greater impact. Hope this helps and keep polishing your armor!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Star, please post the trigger gaurd. PLEASE!!! I need it with my husband. teehee.

BBK - my difficult child 1 had, what I now realize are, sensory issues with socks and shoes. He would literally wear the same pair of socks until I stole them from him and burned them, becase he coudln't stand the seams, and once they were "broke in" (ie worn once already but not washed again) they were fine for him.

He would take an hour to put on his socks most days.

One day I had enough. We were late (again) and I grabbed the shoes and socks and made him walk to the car barefoot. The ground was frosty (but not dangerous). He learned to arrange his socks much quicker after that.

However, knowing what I know now about sensory issues, I kinda feel like a heel. He says now he got over his sock sensitivity when I did that, and could even wear tube socks after that, but still... No socks was an option, also, I guess, but he was fashion police at 6, he wasn't about to go without socks, that would be NERDY.

(Wee difficult child goes without socks, oh, about 90% of the time. Goes without shoes about 70% of the time!)

mellie1961

Mellie,

Hi and welcome to the board!

I encourage you to start a new post and introduce yourself, as this may get lost in the shuffle. You found a wonderful place with lots of caring moms and dads. Also, in the FAQ section, is a list of acronyms, but don't hesitate to ask someone if something is not clear to you.

Again, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome....

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh the joys!!!
Well because I have 2 little princesses with sensory issues and the need to drive me crazy... and it is still SNOWING here for some reason???
Well they want to/need to wear dresses all of the time.
So I have this problem A LOT!
Well I lay out the options... because K can not get dressed in the morning, due to "issues"... we will not get into that!?!?!
What I do is avoid the fight altogether. Pretty sundress, longsleeve shirt for underneath, leggings, for underneath, thick socks... her snowboots... I attempt to brush the hair on K... if her sensory issues are in check??? otherwise I put a beautiful clip in and pull it back!!! Same for N, and her's has had to be chopped off due to sensory issues... but I still put a cute clippy in!!!
They get 2 choices on shirts and socks... (the sensory thing)
Then I go on and on about how LOVELY they look... and they love it!!! and you know what I don't give a RAT's &*#@ if they get snow or mud on them!!! They wash off... and the girls are happy and we avoid the fight... and it is a compromise.
You can find lots of cute sundresses at consingment stores. Cheap!!! Just throw them over the clothes!!! Easy.
It is a Basket B, Negotiate... She learns to chose, stay calm... be a big girl.
We talk about how to get what you want and how to ask.
I use a lot of the engine.
Tink, it seems like your Engine is getting pretty high? When you can get it back down to calm again I will talk to you, do you need help?
And after, Do you like it when someone talks to you that way? Do I talk to you that way? How does it make you feel? We role play also, with there stuffed animals... yelling at the stuffed animals... it makes them giggle but it helps them see...
I am so happy about the Neuro-psychiatric!!!
Go get em!!!
And if that fails... send her little butt to school in a potato sack!!! Here is your dress!!!