Well, we are here!

LittleDudesMom

The key phrase is "right out of HS".
Once you have college scores or 1st year uni scores, those become more important than SAT.

Absolutely! And, a year at community college is much less expensive and, in this state, if you get your associate (2 years) degree at a community college, you are guaranteed admission into any state college or university! Well, they all have individual grade guidelines, but they are generous. It saves a ton of money! You might want to mention it to difficult child as an option.....

One thing I don't understand, how can he be in line for the advanced diploma if he's only taking three classes this semester? I know my easy child had a kinda flexible schedule her senior year with also doing the AD, but she took a heavy load the three prior years and still had to take 5 classes senior year. Maybe they have changed the requirements in the last three years - my difficult child is just going for standard. Originally he said he wanted the ad, but his stress/frustration level with school is so tied to his mental health - by going for the sd he has more of a success track record and is happier and compliant. It also gives him a chance to take more classes in his two favs, JROTC and German!

In regards to the insurance, 18 won't really make a difference, unfortunately....I'm going to be in the same boat next month! Hopefully bonehead will step up like he did with easy child!

Sharon

klmno

Going from Department of Juvenile Justice to detention reentry to mainstream sd during one semester left him unable to get in any other classes. The detention center didn't offer what Department of Juvenile Justice had so they put him in 3 classes instead of 4. The sd wouldn't let him continue in chemistry because the detention center didn't have a lab so he's probably only going tto get 2 credits this semester. He'll have 18 credits at the end of this semester. This is why he needs to go to a sd where they have the 4x4 block schedule, meaning they take 4 classes each semester for 4 full credits ea. semester. This allows him to take Spanish 2 and Chemistry in the fall, along with a couple of other classes he needs, and sequential Span. 3 and Bio 2 or something in the spring. If he had to take 8 year-long classes, he'd get the credits but wouldn't be able to get the 4th classes he needs in a couple of subjects that are required for the advanced. This plan doesn't give him any wiggle room for the advanced diploma but will get him the main classes colleges like to see even if he ends up with a standard diploma. Taking 4 classes per semester also reduces stress because while the courses get harder, there are only 4 to keep up with at a time and class periods are longer so E grasps the concepts better. Just my opinion, but I think the 4x4 is more similar to a college schedule because there are less classes per semester but more submersion in them and no class drags on for a year.

He, himself, fought to stay on the AD path in Department of Juvenile Justice when they were trying to submerge him in tech classes and when detention school staff were trying to get him to quit sd and get a GED. It's not his fault that he maxed out the academic classes they have and since his GPA was a B or better, and he told his current IEP team that he'd rather have the schedule next year that allows the AD instead of having a lighter load his senior year, I'm willing to drive further to work in order to get him in a sd where they have the 4x4. In the IEP meeting we did talk about if he starts getting too stressed next year, he can back off the AD and just get the standard. Of course, we'll have to have an IEP mtg at the new sd but expect the same results since there have been no issues that warrant a change in anything at this sd.

Community college is Plan C. I'd be able to pay for that or a 4-year college with him living at home with little financial aid needed. If he goes away to his dream school, a lot more financial aid (loans) would be needed but as long as he stayed on track, it would be worth it, I think. Still, we're both kind of accepting that starting at a local university then transferring or just going to the dream college for grad school might be best for staying on track on top of keeping costs down. We'll see- the main thing was for him to have a back up plan, or two.

Once you have college scores or 1st year uni scores, those become more important than SAT.

Good point and I need to make E aware of that.